10 replies to this topic

#1 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

Please stop messing with hte maps that are fine or where fine before you changed them.

Also there is not a feedback subforum for all the maps in the map feedback forum.

---------------
Seriously none of the new reworked maps have been better than the old version.
What is the point of making them bigger when players just use 10% of the map and keep going to the same position over and over. It just takes longer to play the maps.

Forest Colony (Colonoscopy) is a prime example of this, even thpugh the old map was toght I had fun on it after the initial few mechs had died. The new version is just dull.

Caustic valley was fine as it was all you added was more annoying bling bling and more rocks to get stuck on.

River City is also bigger and less fun just more unused and even more camping and a long boring walk before the fight.

Frozen City one of the most fun maps in the game is now also bigger and boring. And there was plenty of space to move in on the the older map. Also you moved the bases.

Seriously we need both big and small maps, not only Polar Highlands (yawn).

Make new maps insted of fu**ing up the old ones. or at least have both the old and new one in the rotation.

All teams move in big blobs how dun do you think that that is on huge maps.

Edited by Revener, 15 July 2016 - 05:20 AM.

#2 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

I think they improved all the maps they reworked. Especially Forest Colony although they could have used less water areas.
Why is that one in particular better in my eyes even though i wish the remake had less water?

Because on the old Forest Colony map had very few opportunities for flanking maneuvers. But when the mapsize increased that was no longer a problem.
I love big maps. I hate tiny maps or maps with a lot of bottlenecks. The old Forest Colony was all about bottlenecks and it was kinda small.
And almost half of it was water which made it feel even smaller.

View PostRevener, on 13 July 2016 - 05:19 AM, said:

All teams move in big blobs how dun do you think that that is on huge maps.

What do you mean with this? I cannot understand the grammar. Do you dislike big maps because most teams move in big blobs?

#3 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:02 PM

He means the Deathball manoeuvre. Honestly, People in general have a love/hate relationship with it. As for the OP, While it would be nice if they added more maps, I think they should fix the CW maps first and add new weapons before adding new maps.

#4 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 13 July 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

He means the Deathball manoeuvre. Honestly, People in general have a love/hate relationship with it. As for the OP, While it would be nice if they added more maps, I think they should fix the CW maps first and add new weapons before adding new maps.

I wish they added new maps too. But i think the rework they have done on the current maps is pretty good.
But the the CW maps....i have played about 10 CW matches since CW was introduced to MWO and never touched it since.
It's because of those bottlenecked maps.
No real chances to go flanking.

As for new weapons. So many weapons i want - MRM's, Binary Laser with an ability to make up for it's weight to damage to heat ratios.
MG arrays.

#5 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 13 July 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

I think they improved all the maps they reworked. Especially Forest Colony although they could have used less water areas.
Why is that one in particular better in my eyes even though i wish the remake had less water?

Because on the old Forest Colony map had very few opportunities for flanking maneuvers. But when the mapsize increased that was no longer a problem.
I love big maps. I hate tiny maps or maps with a lot of bottlenecks. The old Forest Colony was all about bottlenecks and it was kinda small.
And almost half of it was water which made it feel even smaller.

Yes I would like big maps too if players actually used the space, but if you try too on the huge maps your team if half dead before you get to do anything. Everyone just runs to the same place 90% of the time and do not use 90% of the big maps.
So it is just a bunch of wasted space that make you walk more.
To be honest I could do more flanking and walking and manouvering that was actually useful on the old small cramped forest colony.

And the extra space on new Frozen city do nothing for that map, just a long walk at the start and then either a camp or brawl wherever the teams meet up.

I really find all of the changed maps less fun than the old version, all that wasted unused space. Not that I want cramped death match arenas either but , seriously be honest with yourself what do the teams do on the big maps 99% of the time.

------------
and CW yeah it would be nice with a different style of CW I wish they ditched the whole system and came up with something new more dynamic instead of these endless ladder tournaments.

#6 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

Problem is so many players are incapable of thinking "FLANKING" even on maps ideal for it. Only smart players do it, and they're usually the minority on their team and the other team has none at all so they can move around and rear-shot the enemy, or worse... and this happens far more often thanks to the PSR mixing tier-levels in quick matches (and the longer it takes to find a match the more you know its mixing you into other tiers) you end up facing MORE smart players on the other side, and your flank runs head long into their flank.

The desert canyons map for example, great for flanking... the game drops the assault lances closest to the creek side of the map on assault games still, and formerly for the skirmish games as well. This side is more open and easier for assaults to maneuver on. Smart assault drivers still flank around when skirmishing even with the new drop points. Dumb ones just move straight across to the center of the map.

Then we also have all the players incapable of thinking three dimensionally, especially ones in mechs with jump jets. Oh sure they might use the jets to evade fire or pop up to look around... but how many think to actually use the terrain given to move to high ground and shoot from someplace the enemy probably isn't looking at ?

#7 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

The part about the majority of the team using only a small part of the map is true.
I flank alone even in a +100 kph medium mech but very few other do.
There is a lot of useless space on the reworked maps when they include a lot of water.
But otherwise it's not the map designers fault when we do not us a place...it's the players that do not have the brains necessary to go flanking.

The thing about smaller maps is that faster mechs have far less value since they do not have sufficient space to maneuvre.
But i see your point about what the majority of the team does.
Either way...i wish they would hurry up and make fewer mechs and instead cook up more maps.

They should reuse textures from old maps to make new ones. Take the Swamp for example.
That is the only map that uses those textures. If they reused them it would take less work to make a new map.
Reusing more of the buildings would be a good thing too.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 14 July 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#8 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:26 AM

Yeah but sadly the team that spread out to use the whole map usually lose to the one that just deatball. And they can deathballs so fast that whoever is flanking usually are to late.

Also I had fun on old forest colony I don't on the new one, polar highlands is a real drag of a map. especially if one team run and cap.

Compare with world oftanks where teams usually spread out in at least 2 locations, but then again in that game you are not visible outside of viewrange. So there is more guesswork although you know where ppl usually go.

#9 No One Lives Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:42 AM

"Improved" maps aren't played often, they aren't as popular as most old ones in general. I'd love to play old Frozen City, old Forest Colony, old River City, old Caustic Valley sometimes and i bet most players would. I don't understand why PGI wouldn't put old ones into rotation as separate maps. All would benefit from that.

But maybe there's a reason for that? A reason why they wouldn't do it?

Edited by No One Lives Forever, 17 July 2016 - 04:44 AM.

#10 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:05 AM

i understand why PGI redone them. they thought their players are smart enough to actually use tactics and so on instead of a simple go that pretty one spot per map, camp there or nascar procedure.

sadly, people whine hard when it comes to actually moving their mechs with enough thought behind to use maps like forest colony, polar highlands and other big maps. instead, polar is the best example, everyone runs to the center like the sheeps are used to do and ignore literally half the map.

so why even bother if people cant use the maps to something else than stuped camping or nascaring?
dont see a reason for it.

i do think the old maps should still be in the pool tho.

#11 Budoman

• Pip
  • The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

I agree with the general thrust of this. One Item about the map changes I like least is they just get bigger. I liked dropping on the old frozen city because it was small, you got into the action quick and the matches were fast and furious. Good small maps are nice.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users