Map Voting

16 replies to this topic

#1 Rhayn

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

Is it just me or are people purposefully voting on maps that they don't think will win to increase their multiplier? I see a huge amount of the new polar highlands which I mostly hate, and I see the majority of players that comment on the map in-game agree with me. I've also seen the same with players entering a terra therma game and all seeming to dislike the map choice. Are any of you doing this to try to increase your multiplier? I'll have to admit that I did first, but stopped after a few matches. On that note, it would be interesting to know your maximum multipliers for map voting. I'm currently sitting on 7x map multiplier and a 3x game mode multiplier after getting consistently unlucky with the maps that I choose (I choose any map that counters LRM)

#2 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:32 PM

It was happening before they changed the map voting, so I can't see why it wouldn't happen now.

If I see a choice of maps I don't particularly care for, or I'm neutral about, I will try to pick the least popular in order to give myself a "leg up" on subsequent votes.

So, Yeah it's a thing.

#3 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

I kind of do it, mostly if I don't see the map I want to play on I will pick one that I know people won't select and I don't mind playing on so when a map comes up that I do want to play on it is more likely I get it. Case in point, I like Forest Colony a lot, I rarely see it outside of scouting matches anymore so I pick it. I hate Alpine, more so if it is skirmish or assault it just goes to hell so I will pick something else that I would like to play but is popular (and usually get alpine skirmish anyways).

This is still not as bad as it once was, I probably one out of every three drops will get the map I want, most maps I am okay with so I just vote for the one I actually do want, but, every once and a while I get several drops where I won't get a map I want or see the same map over and over so I start building multiplier because I know people won't pick something else.

Basically there are two theories of mind to the map voting. Either A you vote on the maps you see for what you like (what I do, usually except for when there are no maps I want which leads to B) and B where you vote for maps that won't get picked to troll others. Generally those voting on maps that won't win are building multiplier due to the popular map up for vote is what they want anyways and they have little to no multiplier so they vote for the unpopular map. This also can backfire due to blind voting can cause hilarious situations where nobody but one guy wanted Terra Therma and everyone thought that the others would vote for Terra Therma and then all the hot slow mechs are now melting and exploding on Terra Therma while someone cackles with glee.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

I'm building up my multiplier in order to counter those who use their multipliers to select the map I do not like. Simple logic, really.

#5 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:54 PM

Its called 'winning the mini game'.

ATM you can pretty much pick the maps that are going to win if there is Canyon, HPG, Mining, Crimson or the new Grim Potato QP map. They almost always win, except when someone pops their big bonus.

I used to play the mini game but I will just play on any map now, as long as I get to shoot the robbits im happy.

#6 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

I tend to pick the map I want... Results "are what they are".

That said, If I've ultimately accrued a sizable multiplier, I tend to withhold my vote when the selection is either a toss-up (any one could potentially win) or I believe I can see what the inevitable vote will be.

In short, I don't waste my votes.

I've reached a point in play selection where I'm kind'a ambivalent and quite frankly don't care what I play. Posted Image

#7 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

I do it all the time, just so i can dump it all on Terra Therma / Domination when it pops up. More often than not when i do get that combination, there's a few others that have dumped all theirs on the same. It makes for an interesting pre-start conversation.

If i'm picking the maps that are best suited for my mech choice, chances are i never make it past x3. (Unless piloting a dual gauss mech picking nothing but hot maps, that bumps up to 5-10)

#8 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

It used to be worse.

#9 Oscore

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

Yeah perhaps. But if they voted for a map they didn't want and it wins, they'll be burned for it. They lose whatever multiplier they were working on and "lose the minigame" as the other guy mentioned. Its a relatively harmless process that makes less popular maps pop up on the regular cycle a little bit more.. It is significantly better than the mind games quick vote switching nonsense we were dealing with before.

#10 Carlieth

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:41 PM

I normally pick the level and mode i wish to play. even if it Is 4 I dislike. Things is I would like a system where I can pick a level I wish to play then sit in a queue till I get that level. I wouldn't mind waiting at all for it.

Max multiplier. x12 game mode multiplier x3 ( different games )

#11 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:17 PM

I use my votes for whatever I think will give me the most benefit. If I do not like any of the map choices I will vote for the one that seems least likely to win. If I like the map choices I will vote for the one I like the best. Same with the game modes.

#12 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

Here's a thought that will mess with your heads:

What if the whole thing is a sham and they are just using the old random match-maker? Sure you see votes being tallied and all, but it's really just a display of the RNG Jesus at work?

#13 Malagant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

I truly despise the map voting/mode voting system. It was better before we got forced to play modes I truly despise. Map should be random.

#14 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostMalagant, on 13 July 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

I truly despise the map voting/mode voting system. It was better before we got forced to play modes I truly despise. Map should be random.

People said the same exact thing except that they wanted to vote for map selection because they were forced to play modes they did not like too.

I have noticed that a 3x vote will get spent pretty quick if you are voting for what is best for the mech you are piloting. Folks who try to farm more than that regularly will get far more bad matches for their mech. If I do get a higher multiplier that is when I decide to run a light or lrm boat for giggles and my inner troll.

#15 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

illusion of choice that even intelligent people get sucked in. I don't vote. it's stupid.

#16 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostCamm2310, on 12 July 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

Is it just me or are people purposefully voting on maps that they don't think will win to increase their multiplier? I see a huge amount of the new polar highlands which I mostly hate, and I see the majority of players that comment on the map in-game agree with me. I've also seen the same with players entering a terra therma game and all seeming to dislike the map choice. Are any of you doing this to try to increase your multiplier? I'll have to admit that I did first, but stopped after a few matches. On that note, it would be interesting to know your maximum multipliers for map voting. I'm currently sitting on 7x map multiplier and a 3x game mode multiplier after getting consistently unlucky with the maps that I choose (I choose any map that counters LRM)

I never vote for the following.

HPG manifold
Canyon Network
Mining collective

Skirmish game mode ever.

Unless the only option is risking...

Domination on Tera Therma or Alpine Peaks.

My reasoning is simple. The maps are always heavily weighted in favor of those three when they are available. I build may vote multiplyer so I may get a chance at playing on something other than the three smallest least tacticaly flexable maps.

I have had 7x vote multiplyer fail to secure play on a map other than HPG often enough that I just don't mind down voting that map on principle of being sick to death of it.

I never vote skirmish for many of the same reasons.In addition, I personally feel endless skirmish play is at least partially to blame for the degrading quality of player tactics. Add a game mode with an objective and half of the mechwarrior's brains fall on the floor as they scramble to comprehend something more complex than a skirmish. Sadly it's not even that complex but since it's not see red robot ...shoot red robot...don't die the ability to play the game mode elludes them.

#17 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostN0ni, on 12 July 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

I do it all the time, just so i can dump it all on Terra Therma when it pops up. More often than not when i do get that combination, there's a few others that have dumped all theirs on the same. It makes for an interesting pre-start conversation.

I'm one of those few others who also wait for Terra to dump my X10+ multiplier. Posted Image Doesn't even work all the time.
But lately, Tourmaline gets left aside quite often so i have to make hard choices...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users