- - - - -

Help A Founder Out Pls

Help Me

10 replies to this topic

#1 forcestormx

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

So, I haven't played MWO since... oh, uh, like 2012, 2013? Idk. Pretty sure 2012. Pretty sure I swore off this game at the time b/c disagreements with game direction and such, the usual reasons why a lot of founders did a runner at the time but...

It's still a game with 'Mechs, and that itch never completely goes away.

So for a guy looking to just play a few matches every once in a rare while, has 2160 banked premium hours (well that's useful), doesn't want to get invested and stay a filthy casual, and hasn't even looked at the game menu in 4 years, what's my strategy?

And on a related note can someone tell me how I can get caps into my profile name? Never did get that fixed.

Or how to change forum signatures. I can not find the relevant buttons. So embarrassing.

Edited by forcestormx, 13 July 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

Play the 25 matches in trial mechs, and do the academy for easy c-bills. Hopefully while running the trials you find a mech type you enjoy and can work from there to build up.

#3 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

The 25 matches should be through for him . They were for me when I came back to playing like 2 months ago after having dropped inactivce in 2012...

forcestorm : Do the Academy fully . Also, use the TrainingGrounds ingame to check out the Maps ( loads of new ones, and the original 4 have been changed quite drastically ) . Dont be afraid to simply hop into games with the 'Mechs you have ( I did take up my (F) Jenner to start again ), but stick to QP Games for the time being .

A lot has changed . Expect to need to learn ( and read up ) quite some...

Hop on Comstar TS if you can when playing, just start hooking up with people .

Do not go Loyalist in Faction Warfare . Faction Warfare seems to be quite fickle re where the action is, so imho it is best to be able to play for/with the Faction(S) where you actually CAN get matches . I did create a 1 Man Merc Unit ( didnt feel likee hooking up with any established ones ), this may be an option for you, too .

Check out the Guides Section .

Hit me up when seeing me inGame or on TS for grouping up . Would love to assist a fellow LF getting off the Ground .

Probably check out a Unit called "Berserker" . They have their own Channel on Comstar NA TS . The Unit is for founders only .

Edited by Besh, 13 July 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#4 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

One very important addition to the comments above, you can active that 3 months of banked premium time in 30 day chunks here: https://mwomercs.com/profile

#5 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

View Postforcestormx, on 13 July 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

Or how to change forum signatures. I can not find the relevant buttons. So embarrassing.

To change your signature go to "Profile", on the next page a little lower on the right side is "FORUM PROFILE" and on the next page on the right side is "Edit My Profile". On the left side is a button for "SIGNATURE"

Also, to change your pilot name you can contact PGI through the support link, but note that they will only change or alter your name once so make sure that you really want it done.

Welcome back, and hope to see you on the battlefield.

#6 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

View Postmailin, on 13 July 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Also, to change your pilot name you can contact PGI through the support link, but note that they will only change or alter your name once so make sure that you really want it done.

These days you can do that yourself here: https://mwomercs.com/profile/name

I don't know if it lets you change the capitalization though, without changing any of the actual characters. forcestormx go test this for us! Posted Image

Edited by Zoeff, 13 July 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#7 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

So, I haven't played MWO since... oh, uh, like 2012, 2013? Idk. Pretty sure 2012. Pretty sure I swore off this game at the time b/c disagreements with game direction and such, the usual reasons why a lot of founders did a runner at the time but...

So for a guy looking to just play a few matches every once in a rare while, has 2160 banked premium hours (well that's useful), doesn't want to get invested and stay a filthy casual, and hasn't even looked at the game menu in 4 years, what's my strategy?

And on a related note can someone tell me how I can get caps into my profile name? Never did get that fixed.

If you care about things like ranking and Tier then you should make an alternate account and learn how to play again on it. Try out all the trial Mechs, do the academy, do a few matches. Once you get comfortable and can steer and shoot well. Then come back to your primary account and do the academy and the 25 matches for the c-Bill bonuses. Buy your Mechs and go from there.

Having some experience you can quickly level up to Tier 4 or 3 and will be spared some of the Tier 5 PUG expereince. However, if you do not care about stats or Tiers or the quality of your opponents then just use your primary account to learn on. You will likely dig yourself a hole which will take a little while to dig out of and youo can enjoy the less intense experience of the lower Tiers for longer.

If you contact support then they can help you with the Caps problem in your name. I had the same problem and they fixed it for me when I came back to the game after over 4 years.

#8 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

All of the above. Make sure *not* to activate your premium using the ingame tool. I still have a couple of hundred hours available by doing 30 day chunks when I can plan ahead.

Lots of academy (running cored and the zombie mode are both excellent training tools).

Use only your F and the available trial mechs for your first 100 matches back (both have big xp bonuses that you will appreciate when you eventually buy them). Hunchbacks are still the preferred IS medium and the Catapult is making a come back with the resizing.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:34 PM

If you are a casual player completely ignore the tier and do not look at your stats, if you need cbills run your founders Mechs, activate 30 days of premium time and just enjoy yourself.

If you want help finding good builds there are plenty of sources available but just because something works well for someone else does not mean it will for you, most of my best Mechs have builds I figured out myself often over dozens of games, I would see what works and what does not for a specific chassis, and mu end reasult is usualy nothing like the popular "Meta" builds

Most importantly enjoy yourself, some people seem to play Mechs they do not like because it gives them a better chance of winning, I do not understand the attitude that winning is more important than having fun, but people can play how they want

#10 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:59 AM

I agree. Just have fun. When you are focusing more on the 'W' over enjoying the match and learning how to better pilot your mechs then you've already crossed the line over to hardcore. Laughing off a loss can't be afforded by hardcore or professional gamers because well, they need to win (for whatever reason). Casuals on the other hand can have their *** handed to them and still smile. It's a perk that not every player has. :3

Edited by Elizander, 15 July 2016 - 01:00 AM.

#11 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

I just came back to play a bit as well :) Last was 2012 or 2014. Left for some of the reasons you mentioned too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users