Medium Mech Madness Sale

61 replies to this topic

#41 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:02 AM

View Postpacifica812, on 17 July 2016 - 03:53 AM, said:

I bought my HunchiesIIC, Novas and 'Crows. I still have eight mechbays left and enough C-bills for potentially three more chassis and I can't decide between The Griffs or The Cats...

Get Griffins, unless you're going to be all Clanner for a while, in which case you would get the ShadowCats instead. ;)

~D. V. "All comes down to what path you want to take..." Devnull

#42 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAt home, at work, or on the stage... mostly

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:29 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 17 July 2016 - 04:02 AM, said:

Get Griffins, unless you're going to be all Clanner for a while, in which case you would get the ShadowCats instead. Posted Image

~D. V. "All comes down to what path you want to take..." Devnull

"Fear is the path to the dark side..." certain Jedi master, certain Jedi council, considerably long time ago in a considerably remote place

Posted Image

... but the dark side always had its appeal... Posted Image

#43 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

here's an XL engine spreadsheet a Redditor named jojoxy posted!

https://docs.google....eLNWlJM/pubhtml

shows the discount after buying the appropriate mech and reselling the bits

#44 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:36 PM

Remember, if you are looking to buy multiple mechs during this sale and might not have all the cash, buy the more expensive variants first since the 35% saves you more...

For example, if you are planning to buy griffins and wanted the 3M, 2N, and the 1N... buy them in that order... you save over 2million cbills on the 3M vs 1 million on the 1N...

#45 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

WHILE..the cicida is the only example of the ENTIRE sale mech price being cheaper than the engine alone price, some of the engines that result aren't necessarily the optimized choices for what you put them into (meta wise). 255 and 280 ratings weigh the same as a 250 or 275 respectively. The 325 holds another internal HS and is only half a ton more than a 320. Unless the mech has a rating cap (like hunchbacks do), you sorta need to ask yourself...are you trying to optimize ONE favourite mech, or buy some discounted XL engines for several mechs you already own or might buy in the future.

When I first discovered the cicida bargain trick in jan-feb, I thought...great...get a couple 3Ms...keep one, use the other to discount a 320 for another mech. Since then though... I find myself looking at builds and thinking I'd rather have the 325 in this mech or that mech that currently holds a 320.

Edited by Dee Eight, 17 July 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#46 P

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts
  • LocationI bask in the fire, and look into the stars, Laughing

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

ill just buy MC when ther'es an MC sales and buy Bay when there's bay sales
and buy meks and mek's sales and stuff

i hope this game stay forever and what not

#47 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

View PostOmniseed, on 17 July 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

here's an XL engine spreadsheet a Redditor named jojoxy posted!

https://docs.google....eLNWlJM/pubhtml

shows the discount after buying the appropriate mech and reselling the bits

View PostIronically Ironclad Irony, on 17 July 2016 - 12:36 PM, said:

Remember, if you are looking to buy multiple mechs during this sale and might not have all the cash, buy the more expensive variants first since the 35% saves you more...

For example, if you are planning to buy griffins and wanted the 3M, 2N, and the 1N... buy them in that order... you save over 2million cbills on the 3M vs 1 million on the 1N...

View PostDee Eight, on 17 July 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

WHILE..the cicida is the only example of the ENTIRE sale mech price being cheaper than the engine alone price, some of the engines that result aren't necessarily the optimized choices for what you put them into (meta wise). 255 and 280 ratings weigh the same as a 250 or 275 respectively. The 325 holds another internal HS and is only half a ton more than a 320. Unless the mech has a rating cap (like hunchbacks do), you sorta need to ask yourself...are you trying to optimize ONE favourite mech, or buy some discounted XL engines for several mechs you already own or might buy in the future.

When I first discovered the cicida bargain trick in jan-feb, I thought...great...get a couple 3Ms...keep one, use the other to discount a 320 for another mech. Since then though... I find myself looking at builds and thinking I'd rather have the 325 in this mech or that mech that currently holds a 320.

Thanx for all the info mech-bros, this community really rocks!!! :)

#48 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostP, on 18 July 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

ill just buy MC when ther'es an MC sales and buy Bay when there's bay sales
and buy meks and mek's sales and stuff

i hope this game stay forever and what not

It will only be around a long time if PGI stops doing things that their player base (of Mech Pilots) would hate. Gotta keep the Mech Pilots happy if PGI wants their profits, and PGI has lost sight of that. Frankly, I would have loved to see MWO last a long time as well. :(

~D. V. "A Depressed MechWarrior" Devnull

(p.s.: I've gotta quit making bad-but-unintentional 'Unit Name/Tag' puns...)

#49 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:45 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 18 July 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

It will only be around a long time if PGI stops doing things that their player base (of Mech Pilots) would hate. Gotta keep the Mech Pilots happy if PGI wants their profits, and PGI has lost sight of that. Frankly, I would have loved to see MWO last a long time as well. :(

~D. V. "A Depressed MechWarrior" Devnull

(p.s.: I've gotta quit making bad-but-unintentional 'Unit Name/Tag' puns...)

Its a bit of a juggling act becuase most of the things people are screaming about do not translate directly to profits... and then they scream about new mech packs...

I am encouraged that they've hired more people so i *hope* they start wittling down the list of issues.

The fact is that you can't distinguish in the forums the paying customers from the freeloaders (though technically PGI can) and as far as i am concerned the preference treatment should operated under the following hierarchy when it comes to adressing complaints:
1) current paying customers
2) prior paying customer, but stll playing
3) freeloaders

If you don't tier your focus in that order, you are not going to stay in business very long...

Now i am not saying pgi is actually approaching it this way, but for all whiners out there that aren't investing in the game, i am sorry, ya need to get to the back of the line...

#50 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:35 AM

View PostIronically Ironclad Irony, on 18 July 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

The fact is that you can't distinguish in the forums the paying customers from the freeloaders (though technically PGI can) and as far as i am concerned the preference treatment should operated under the following hierarchy when it comes to adressing complaints:
1) current paying customers
2) prior paying customer, but stll playing
3) freeloaders

If you don't tier your focus in that order, you are not going to stay in business very long...

Now i am not saying pgi is actually approaching it this way, but for all whiners out there that aren't investing in the game, i am sorry, ya need to get to the back of the line...

Posted Image

#51 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:20 PM

Except as a current paying customer, and a rather significant one foronly 7 months of time into the game so far... they seem to be going out of their way to make me unhappy with this patch.

#52 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 18 July 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

Except as a current paying customer, and a rather significant one foronly 7 months of time into the game so far... they seem to be going out of their way to make me unhappy with this patch.

Heck, I know of someone from a while back who was less than 6 months in, and then 'FW, Phase 3' hit and completely screwed over their experience as a New Player. They promptly decided that the game wasn't worth any $$$ given, because who wants to pay anything when they're being slapped in the face, Mech Bays they critically need as a new player almost totally cut off, and their existence turned into a sudden hell where incentives don't really exist, plus being posed with a decision where they would likely have to overcommit time they don't have without any real reward for it? I unfortunately know how they feel as well, because I'm also still relatively new for just under 8 months now, but I definitely agree with you that it looks like PGI isn't doing well at avoiding upsetting people. :(

~D. V. "We're not the only ones... But it does look like we're almost in the same boat?" Devnull

[Edit by author for a missed hand-signing...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 18 July 2016 - 05:10 PM.

#53 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

Well besides MC buys, there have been mastery bundles of quickdraw, wolverine, griffin, hunchback, spider, highlander, battlemaster, cataphract, orion, centurion, and ultimate orders of the kodiak, night gyr, huntsman, viper and cyclops. I skipped the phoenix hawks and if this is how its going to be with my kodiaks...well...I'm going to skip the linebacker also and quite probably whatever comes after it.

#54 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:45 PM

I ended up putting cbills into three enforcers to use GXP to basic two of them pretty quick and then sell them (keeping the one ok ish model) and the same with three vindicators. I'm also going to add the one hunchback I am missing from my collection of them (the AC10 optimized model). Nothing else in the medium sale appeals to me. I've got vipers arriving tommorow so I don't really need to start mastering hunch-2s, crows or ferrets. And I have missiles-a-plenty between griffins, hunchbacks and wolverines already.

#55 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 18 July 2016 - 10:45 PM, said:

I ended up putting cbills into three enforcers to use GXP to basic two of them pretty quick and then sell them (keeping the one ok ish model) and the same with three vindicators. I'm also going to add the one hunchback I am missing from my collection of them (the AC10 optimized model). Nothing else in the medium sale appeals to me. I've got vipers arriving tommorow so I don't really need to start mastering hunch-2s, crows or ferrets. And I have missiles-a-plenty between griffins, hunchbacks and wolverines already.

Pardon my asking... Why didn't you play through, save the GXP, level them up with Mech XP, and all while racking even more GXP up? :o

~D. V. "In all seriousness, I am just curious. Please do not interpret my words as anything mean." Devnull

#56 Suvara

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:25 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 19 July 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

Pardon my asking... Why didn't you play through, save the GXP, level them up with Mech XP, and all while racking even more GXP up? Posted Image

~D. V. "In all seriousness, I am just curious. Please do not interpret my words as anything mean." Devnull

Because some variants are just painfull to play. Mediums without speedtweak in particular. They are not neccessarily bad, they just might not fit your playstile. And people here are to have fun(I hope).
I speak from experience, I used GXP to unlock elite for Griffins.

#57 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:42 AM

View PostSuvara, on 19 July 2016 - 04:25 AM, said:

Because some variants are just painfull to play. Mediums without speedtweak in particular. They are not neccessarily bad, they just might not fit your playstile. And people here are to have fun(I hope).

Roger that, and thank you for the insight. :)

~D. V. "Fair Enough..." Devnull

#58 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostSuvara, on 19 July 2016 - 04:25 AM, said:

I for a difference like to play with mechs I buy, until I master them with mech XP. I find the process valuable as a learning experience, exploring the strong and the weak points of a given chassis, its best role in a team,... I admit it was frustrating sometimes, at least until I realized that I need a certain amount of time playing a chassis before that "magic" happens :)

After that it all becomes easier... Posted Image

As for the sale, I was choosing between 'Cats and the Griffs' and in the end decided to take 'em both :D . Although the purchase was very satisfying, I am now a little low on C-bills in case a module sale occurs, but then again what are the chances of that happening, right Posted Image

#59 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:41 AM

I know these changes feel like a slap in the face to some and a betrayal to others... the moral of the story is buyer beware.

Kodiaks get a heat fix, not a nerf, so lets be fair about that. Even with a bit more heat it is a beast!

As mechbays, they are cheap... if you need them, buy them because....

Every mech has the potential to be nerfed/buffed in the name of balance. NEVER SELL MECHS IF YOU CAN HELP IT.

#60 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 19 July 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Kodiaks get a heat fix, not a nerf, so lets be fair about that. Even with a bit more heat it is a beast!

Ummm the quad-10 heat bug didn't affect me because I wasn't quad-firing the things in the two months i've been using it. I fire them in pairs. I'm complaining about the nerfing all the agility quirks (which are STILL LESS than atlases got) as well as removing all the side torso/arm/leg structure quirks from the 3s. Gee...thanks...so the 1,3,5 variants all have JUST a CT structure quirk....terrific...why? I didn't use my 1s and 5s past the mastering of them. Where was all this laser vomit happening (that didn't already happen better in other platforms) ? Certainly wasn't actually out on the battlefields of live servers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users