Nova Advice?

38 replies to this topic

#21 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 14 July 2016 - 08:44 PM, said:

Gasp! Is that triple AMS? No missiles must hit you! 0v0

I genuinely felt bad for the recently released C-Bill Archers and the FW event Mad Dog winners. My 3xAMS ate their missiles right outta the sky. :P

#22 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:29 PM

Here's My current builds.

I also have a Nova prime with 12 smalls. But the 6spl + 1lpl adds a bit of versatility to scouting.

The ballistic build is for fun mostly, fun that is soon erased when both guns jam 30 times in a row. I guess PGI doesn't want UAC2s to be too OP. Achieved 400 damage with it so far.

Posted Image

Edited by jjm1, 14 July 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#23 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:35 PM

View PostDarth Terona, on 14 July 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

uac jams almost constantly... going regular ac10

as a matter of fact.. clan uac seems to jam on the first push, not the double tap... anyone else seeing this?

If you use the UAC 10 build make sure you select the Right Arm Omnipod that offers a -30% jam chance. Its essential.

#24 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

try to play 6 CERML + 6 CERSL, makes you a bit more allrounder with range.
Also, use NVA B it has in my opinion the better CT quirks.

Edited by Lily from animove, 15 July 2016 - 12:25 AM.

#25 Terona

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:27 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 14 July 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

If you use the UAC 10 build make sure you select the Right Arm Omnipod that offers a -30% jam chance. Its essential.

yea. long as I have the arm, I get the effect right? don't have to mount it there?

I hate mounting ac in the arms of the nova. for some reason it rips out the lower actuator and makes the arm near stationary... if I'm going to have stationary gun, id rather it be in the ct so I'm not draggin it through the mud

#26 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostDarth Terona, on 15 July 2016 - 02:27 AM, said:

yea. long as I have the arm, I get the effect right? don't have to mount it there?

I hate mounting ac in the arms of the nova. for some reason it rips out the lower actuator and makes the arm near stationary... if I'm going to have stationary gun, id rather it be in the ct so I'm not draggin it through the mud

you don't have to put the ac in the arm for the effect, just the pod needs to be used in the emchlab is important.
Well the AC in the arm still allows you for a very mobile pitch movement. beyond what your torso can do. But it requires more exposure over hills to shoot.

#27 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:48 AM

Some Nova builds for you to try. Trust me, you don't want to sell the mechs.

6 cSPL 4 MG
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9ee73468364e248

1 UAC20 2 cERSL
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de974a445d9c530

2 cERPPC
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...008cd47b4603585

10 cSPL
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45005f11f66c0a4

As for advice on the next mech to buy, the Hellbringer is a great mech, but I feel like the Timberwolf might mech your drop deck more well rounded if you are just starting out. Also, 2 TBRs and 2 NVAs = 250 Tonnage. The Timberwolf is a jack of all trades, and has fantastic builds for SRMs, Laser Vomit, Guass, and UAC10s. The Hellbringer is limited in available tonnage for the pod space available, and there are like 2, MAYBE 3 viable builds for it.

No matter what PGI does to the Timberwolf and/or clan/IS balance, the Timberwolf itself is so versatile that it is worth buying first to have the option of changing your loadout to whatever you want. The best Timberwolves to buy are the S (for JJ in CT), and A/C for the CT hardpoint/free tonnage slot.

Last but not least, the UAC10 is one of the best clan weapons. Once you start to learn exactly when to double tap, and only double tap as needed and use cover, you will love it. Also, it does NOT jam when you don't double tap, so you might as well take it over the AC10 if you just want to use it as an AC10, with the option to double tap IF you want to.

Edited by Telemachus Rheade, 15 July 2016 - 02:56 AM.

#28 Terona

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:33 AM

thanks for all the helpful advice guys

...TBW so god damn ugly though...

review of its hardpoints across classes though.. good spread.. looks like an awesome mech on paper.

how is it at brawling? my preferred. and I was looking at the hellbringer because of ecm, and what that brings to the table for the team.

and.. I guess its time to find a clan.. goodbuy brofist! you've been good to me

Edited by Darth Terona, 15 July 2016 - 03:40 AM.

#29 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:42 AM

I run the 6 small pulse, 4 mgs on my Nova. Pretty cool running as long as you practice a small amount of trigger discipline. I took off one DHS for a CAP. Also, I have the ton of mg ammo in my head and the half ton in my CT.

Edited by mailin, 15 July 2016 - 03:42 AM.

#30 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:53 AM

View Postmailin, on 15 July 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

I run the 6 small pulse, 4 mgs on my Nova. Pretty cool running as long as you practice a small amount of trigger discipline. I took off one DHS for a CAP. Also, I have the ton of mg ammo in my head and the half ton in my CT.

? 6 small pulses and taking of a dhs? that laodout you describe must miss something because thats not 6 small pulses only.

#31 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:55 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 July 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Keep Nova-S. It has an AMS slot in the middle with 10% AMS RoF quirk. Other variants got nothing on the CT.

Other variants have better agility quirks. When u need ams u're doing something wrong.

edit: only Nova-B has better agility quirks.

Edited by Steve Pryde, 15 July 2016 - 04:00 AM.

#32 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:01 AM

View PostDarth Terona, on 15 July 2016 - 03:33 AM, said:

how is it at brawling? my preferred. and I was looking at the hellbringer because of ecm, and what that brings to the table for the team.

and.. I guess its time to find a clan.. goodbuy brofist! you've been good to me

For the TBR

4xSRM6+Artemis and 4 cSPLSs

2 UAC10s 2 cERSLs

I have seen people do 7 medium pulse, but I don't like it.

You can brawl, you can mid range, and you can snipe in the TBR.

Edited by Telemachus Rheade, 15 July 2016 - 04:01 AM.

#33 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:52 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 15 July 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

Other variants have better agility quirks. When u need ams u're doing something wrong.

How can I be doing something wrong, when my AMS is for the entire team, not just for me? On average, I use up 2000 AMS ammo per match. That's 3 times the tonnage of armor I saved compared to the tonnage I devoted to the multiple AMS+ammo, even if my AMS has 50% hit ratio.

Edited by El Bandito, 15 July 2016 - 04:54 AM.

#34 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:11 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 15 July 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:

How can I be doing something wrong, when my AMS is for the entire team, not just for me? On average, I use up 2000 AMS ammo per match. That's 3 times the tonnage of armor I saved compared to the tonnage I devoted to the multiple AMS+ammo, even if my AMS has 50% hit ratio.

Well, not all shot down missils would actually hit the opponent. In competent teams lrm's mostly hit NOTHING. So the majority of lrm's you are shooting down are 0 damage anyways. However in brawling i am not so sure how much effect ams has to protect teammates form srm's and ssrm's. But generally its rather dead weight hardly anyoen uses as you can make that tonnage a lot more useful.

#35 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:03 AM

Mine are:
  • 2xLPL, 8xSL
  • 12xSPL
  • 8xSPL, 3xAMS
  • 12xSL, 4xMG
Used to be able to run cERMLs on this thing, but they're too hot now. Only red and blue lasers now. Mostly red. Shame.

#36 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:08 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 15 July 2016 - 05:11 AM, said:

Well, not all shot down missils would actually hit the opponent. In competent teams lrm's mostly hit NOTHING. So the majority of lrm's you are shooting down are 0 damage anyways. However in brawling i am not so sure how much effect ams has to protect teammates form srm's and ssrm's. But generally its rather dead weight hardly anyoen uses as you can make that tonnage a lot more useful.

Clearly you do not play solo-q matches. Just yesterday on Polar Domination, I saved about 10 tons worth of armor for our team. Enemy Mad Dog pilots were pissed. What is extra 2 DHS gonna do in comparison anyway?

Edited by El Bandito, 15 July 2016 - 06:12 AM.

#37 Terona

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

er.. since I was the onlyone saying nova op on the forums.. or anywhere... I take personal responsibility for what happen to the nova.

PGI I was joking lol. Obvious tones of sarcastic memes throughout my posts. Was poking fun at others who just scream to nerf everything that isn't their mech.

that being said.. my nova was already a glass cannon. and now.. :P

PGI please exchange my novas for stormcrows

thing is.. I worked hard, and subbed to save cbills to buy 3x novas. about 22-25mil worth when you factor in all the omnipods and equipment I bough.

and now I feel cheated. like I wasted my money and time.

while I'm at it, why cant I start a new topic?

got an idea for how to award people for bringing AMS.
since you cannot manualy fire it, pay out gxp or cbill awards based on how many ams rounds you spend in a match. easy peasy.

#38 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 15 July 2016 - 06:03 AM, said:

Used to be able to run cERMLs on this thing, but they're too hot now. Only red and blue lasers now. Mostly red. Shame.

I run 6 cERML and heat wise its fine.

#39 Terona

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:53 AM

yea. you can run the stock nova prime build just fine too.

just 4 groups of 3

nice up front damage.

good poke and shoot.

bad if caught out in the open.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users