- - - - -

Streak Srms Won't Lock On?

10 replies to this topic

#1 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:07 PM

Hi, coming back after a year and I notice that even if I have a target lock it takes forever for my Streaks to start locking onto the target. Is there some change to the game that's causing this? Some equipment or skill they could be running?
Thanks!

#2 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:05 PM

ECM

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:03 AM

View PostVxheous, on 17 October 2021 - 09:05 PM, said:

ECM

Yup. Reds with an ECM nearby take longer to lock up even if you can see their red icon. Also, missile lock has to be kept centered instead of just anywhere in the red icon.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:22 AM

Welcome back, Mechwarrior!

Missile locks have basically two situations:
1. The target is in Line of Sight (LoS): This will provide the fastest locks possible. No Equipment or Condition is altering the time to achieve the lock.
2. The target is out of sight (IDF =indirect fire). This obviously doesn't apply to streaks bc they can't fire indirectly, but you can still achive locks from IDF. These are slower than LoS locks. The first parameter is distance compared to your sensor range. The further away, the longer it takes to lock-on. Friendly TAG can make it so that you are treated as if in LoS. Then enemy ECM. When the target is shielded by ECM, IDF locks take significantly longer.

In addition to that, if an enemy ECM ist within 120m to you and uncountered, it prevents you from locking on at all.

You can read all the official details to the lock-on system here: https://mwomercs.com...atch-notes/2251

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 18 October 2021 - 03:22 AM.

#5 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:12 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 18 October 2021 - 03:03 AM, said:

Yup. Reds with an ECM nearby take longer to lock up even if you can see their red icon. Also, missile lock has to be kept centered instead of just anywhere in the red icon.

Hmm. Okay. I was jamming it with my own ECM but I guess maybe it was still delaying locks? Or maybe I wasn't aiming precisely enough. Seems like maybe Streaks aren't the Light counter they appear to be if you have to keep aiming dead centre? A 120 kph Light 40 meters away isn't gonna let you do that.

#6 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:16 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 18 October 2021 - 03:22 AM, said:

Welcome back, Mechwarrior!

You can read all the official details to the lock-on system here: https://mwomercs.com...atch-notes/2251

Thank you. :)

#7 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,287 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:33 AM

View PostNecessaryWeevil, on 18 October 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

... Seems like maybe Streaks aren't the Light counter they appear to be if you have to keep aiming dead centre? A 120 kph Light 40 meters away isn't gonna let you do that.

If I might suggest something, unequip Streaks and use a different direct-fire weapon system. Lasers (especially pulse variety) or Autocannons. Try to target their legs (if possible, of course).

The higher you move in Tiers, the less useful Streak SRMs will be.

Work on improving your gunnery skills.

#8 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:54 AM

View Postmartian, on 18 October 2021 - 08:33 AM, said:

If I might suggest something, unequip Streaks and use a different direct-fire weapon system. Lasers (especially pulse variety) or Autocannons. Try to target their legs (if possible, of course).

The higher you move in Tiers, the less useful Streak SRMs will be.

Work on improving your gunnery skills.

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I will.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:42 AM

Hmm. Okay. I was jamming it with my own ECM but I guess maybe it was still delaying locks? Or maybe I wasn't aiming precisely enough. Seems like maybe Streaks aren't the Light counter they appear to be if you have to keep aiming dead centre? A 120 kph Light 40 meters away isn't gonna let you do that.

You are correct, streaks aren't what they once were, they've been dialed back thanks to the changes in lock on mechanics. As suggested, pinpoint damage (autocannons, gauss, PPCs) are the best light counters now, followed by (in my opinion) pulse lasers, SRMs, and other lasers in that order. I list lasers last because they will hose a hard to hit target over several armor locations, making it hard to deal telling damage, while pinpoint damage will drill out a location quickly.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,754 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:22 PM

And with SRMs, no locks are needed to fire them suckers, just have to learn to lead the target a little.

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:29 PM

Hmm. Okay. I was jamming it with my own ECM but I guess maybe it was still delaying locks?

To counter an enemy ECM you need to switch yours into Counter mode. It's not automatic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users