- - - - -

Whats A Good Newbie Friendly Starter Mech?

34 replies to this topic

#21 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

For a true rookie pilot...
I've always been a fan of the ShadowHawk-5M. It was the 2nd mech I ever bought, after the Spider-5k...

Can deal a decent amount of damage, as well as take it, as you learn how to maneuver and fire. Plus, as a Medium, you can hang with the heavies in support.

#22 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

Mechs I would recommend to new players:

Lights: Generally not a class I would recommend until you have more experience, PERIOD. There are some good Lights out there, but 1 mistake against a target that has a good aim and a 1-2 alpha strikes = DEAD.

Mediums:
Storm Crow: Very versatile and not overly complicated.
Crab: Tanky little medium energy boat that is both good and very straight forward to use.
Hunchback or Centurian: Not necessarily the most noob friendly mechs to use, but both will teach good skills (like torso twisting and shielding with the side that doesn't have most of your equipment). They will both teach you a LOT of the fundamentals of how to be a better pilot overall.
Blackjack: Solid medium Dakka platform

Heavies:
Timberwolf or Ebon Jaguar: Versatile, decently quick, relatively tanky, good damage output.
Marauders: Very tanky especially with a STD engine, solid performer
Warhammers: reasonably XL friendly Heavy that can pound out some firepower
Jagers: Great Dakka platforms
Blackknight or Thunderbolt: If not the kings of Heavy laser vomit, at least near the top of the list

Assaults: Avoid for new players for the exact opposite reasons as Lights. Lots of guns and armor, but slow and easy to get caught out if you get into a bad spot. Even the biggest mechs go down quick if 4-6 opponents are all shooting you at the same time.

#23 Plastic Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

I'm not about to doubt you...I'm a super rookie myself.

But...in Public Play I was getting creamed almost right after the drop. "Incoming Missile" came over so many times my wife started saying it to me. When I asked a few high tiers they said "Get ECM or your dead in pubs". Now this was in medium and heavies who have no prayer of moving quick enough.

So I am seriously asking 'how is this bad' but for an in-depth answer. I do know my death rate goes up dramatically when I'm not using a mech that has it. Especially on the open maps.

Should I 'not' be using it? I was planning on making a medium sized light hunter with ECM, TAG, and Beagle...

Again, this is for my education not trying to prove a point or anything...

Oh...and if this thread stealing let me know and I'll open a new one...

Plastic Guru

View PostTercieI, on 18 July 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

It's also a crutch in low level play and not all that important in high level play, so it teaches bad habits.

Edited by Plastic Guru, 18 July 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#24 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

Lots of mechs are viable.

More important to decide what kind of speed and weapons you prefer using, then choose a mech that fits the criteria.

#25 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:50 AM

View PostPlastic Guru, on 18 July 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

But...in Public Play I was getting creamed almost right after the drop. "Incoming Missile" came over so many times my wife started saying it to me. When I asked a few high tiers they said "Get ECM or your dead in pubs". Now this was in medium and heavies who have no prayer of moving quick enough.

So I am seriously asking 'how is this bad' but for an in-depth answer. I do know my death rate goes up dramatically when I'm not using a mech that has it. Especially on the open maps.

Should I 'not' be using it? I was planning on making a medium sized light hunter with ECM, TAG, and Beagle...

Oh...and if this thread stealing let me know and I'll open a new one...

Plastic Guru

I'm not sure you can thread steal your own thread... lol

When it comes to piloting a medium/heavy. If ECM is not an option, mount an AMS, with a few tons of ammo for it.
I know some mechs allow you to mount 2. (Although personally I think thats wasted tonnage)
They don't get all the missiles, but they definitely get a good amount of them. Enough to take it from "Holy **** that hurt... to more of a... Gee that kinda stings.

And AMS will provide cover for nearby allies as well, and theirs will do the same for you.

But if you want to build a medium "Light Hunter"... you're going to want to stay with the heavies and assaults anyway, since those are some of our preferred targets, since they don't move as fast as we do.

#26 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:34 AM

I never run AMS and almost never feel like I'm missing anything.

For a beginner IS heavy I do recommend the Thunderbolts. Unlike BKNTs they have some variety (9SE for jumping, teaching torso twisting tactics; 5SS for MPL brawling; and whichever third variant you prefer) and none require XL so they are much easier to buy with C-bills. They lack some of the silly good quirks they once had, but they're still pretty solid and they got smaller recently, which is nice.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 19 July 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#27 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:13 AM

There are two theories about a light hunter. You could build something like a streakcrow (Stormcrow with all streak 6s), or build something that can go as fast as a light (Cicada.)

If you go for a Cicada, put in at least an XL 320 and fire at the enemy's legs, *unless* and this is a big unless, they are running directly away from you and you have a great shot at their back..

Edited by mailin, 19 July 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#28 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

View Postmailin, on 19 July 2016 - 07:13 AM, said:

There are two theories about a light hunter. You could build something like a streakcrow (Stormcrow with all streak 6s), or build something that can go as fast as a light (Cicada.)

If you go for a Cicada, fire at the enemy's legs.

Have Streak/Splat Crows as well as a 4xML 2xSRM4 X-5. All are good for hunting lights or Faction scouting.

If you have decent aim, the SRM Crow is far superior to the Streaks against anything bigger than 35-40 tons and still does well against lights.

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

View PostPlastic Guru, on 18 July 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

You can; and since you have clearly done 25 matches (name color tells us) and I'm sure you have at least one mech... I don't see why you shouldn't.

I personally wouldn't believe it to be a good idea for a new player unless they are overwhelmed with the learning curve (as it helps to reduce the things to learn). It can teach you to be far too relaxed or unaware of your surroundings and so an enemy can sneak right up next to you and you might never even notice you spent the last 3 minutes being followed, leading your enemy right to your teammates.

Back in 2012 I followed a light back to his team as he lined up beside a buddy of his after scouting. Behind enemy lines in 8 vs 8, with 4 mechs nearby and none of them looking my way. AC/20 at the ready, I jumped on one guy. Still not noticed. Fired into someone's back. Heads shifted. Guy I shot noticed (impact from an AC/20 could flip your camera into a 360 degree vertical loop at the time) but didn't seem to realize where it came from. Boom again. Dead. Now everyone is looking around. Boom, another guy hit. Both turn towards the Catapult I'm standing on and shoot Him!!! He starts shooting back and I managed to kill another. Last guy killed the Catapult and then he got me. Point is... Be aware.

ECM gives a sense of safety that can leave you feeling very naked when you use something else.

#30 Whargoul666

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Guys, I got my first 25 matches in and bought a Blackjack BJ-1. I mostly love it with just a twinge of buyers remorse, I should have bought the 1x (that'll be my next one). I read your replies and watched a few newbie vids and decided on this or a Storm Crow and the Blackjack was cheaper ;) I have 8500 xp left until I've masted it.

I started tweaking as soon as I got it, before I noticed the quirks and immediately dropped the AC/2s for one Ultra AC/5. Now I know there are AC/2 cooldown and heat gen quirks on the chassis and I really don't think I will switch back. I have the 4x zoom mod in and can mix long(ish) and medium engagements. I know my long range game is weak, but it's pretty fun to smack someone with the uAC/5 and watch them duck. I really only throw down at that range at the beginning of a fight and then at the end when I am wounded. After I rebuild my finances, I think I might tryout a more laser pukey build.

Oh and I dropped that XL engine as soon as I realized it was getting me killed, and am comming in at max tonnage with all slots filled.

Again, thanks for all the responses, you guys really helped out.

#31 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

I run my BJ-1 with 2 AC2s and a couple backup lasers and an XL 210. Half the time I shoot it dry in a match, but that also means I'm doing 600+ damage by the time I go through over 4 tons of ammo unless my aim is crap that night.

Edited by Digital_Angel, 20 July 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#32 Kaiju-Killer

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOn my way to the top

Posted 19 October 2021 - 04:45 PM

Hi I am probably late to reply to this but I find a good mech is the Hunchback 4-P with 8 medium lasers (a small if you want one) and then as many double heat sinks as you can fit (not in the arms though or at least not to many). and then whatever tonnage left if you are able to spend more C-Bills (there is a sale right now so this is a good time to do it) you can get an XL engine if you are willing to play risky. all in all it is a decent loadout and it has served me well through lots of matches. (don't mind my grammar I was tired when I wrote all this.)

#33 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 19 October 2021 - 07:20 PM

Um… this post is 5 years old, friend. Any advice from before your post is completely outdated due to patches over the years.

#34 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:15 AM

I'd suggest posting again here:
Top 4 Mechs For New Players Coming Into The Game

#35 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:33 AM

It is against the Code of Conduct to post in threads which have been inactive for extended periods of time. If you feel the old thread should be discussed, please create a new thread to generate necessary interest or post in a recent thread about the topic as suggested above. Thank you.
Thread locked.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users