12 replies to this topic

#1 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:35 PM

Besides anticipating the obvious nerfbats (some from the PTS, some from whining), I want to highlight a particular point of balance reference.... just to show how much attention to detail was put in (you know, spreadsheetwarrior).

Reference:
https://static.mwome..._11-15-2016.pdf

I'll just list quirks as they are listed, and just for the sake of people being occasionally being error prone... I'll match up quirks of the same type with letter designations.

Listed in the order they appear in the document (as posted at approximately 4PM EST):

SMN-B CT
Energy Heat Gen -10% (A)
Acceleration 70% (Posted Image
Deceleration 70% (C)
Turn Rate 35% (D)
Torso Yaw Speed 40% (E)
Reverse Speed 5% (F)
Speed 5% (G)
Add Structure CT 11 (H)

SMN-C CT
Energy Heat Gen -10% (A)
Deceleration 70% (C)
Turn Rate 35% (D)
Torso Yaw Speed 40% (E)
Reverse Speed 5% (F)
Speed 5% (G)
Add Structure CT 11 (H)

SMN-D CT
Energy Heat Gen -10% (A)
Deceleration 70% (C)
Turn Rate 35% (D)
Torso Yaw Speed 40% (E)
Reverse Speed 5% (F)
Speed 5% (G)
Torso Angle Yaw 9
Add Structure CT 11 (H)

SMN-F CT
Energy Heat Gen -10% (A)
Deceleration 70% (C)
Turn Rate 35% (D)
Torso Yaw Speed 40% (E)
Reverse Speed 5% (F)
Speed 5% (G)
Add Structure CT 11 (H)

SMN-M CT

Energy Heat Gen -10% (A)
Deceleration 70% (C)
Turn Rate 35% (D)
Torso Yaw Speed 40% (E)
Reverse Speed 5% (F)
Speed 5% (G)
Add Structure CT 11 (H)

SMN-PRIME CT

Energy Heat Gen -10% (A)
Deceleration 70% (C)
Turn Rate 35% (D)
Torso Yaw Speed 40% (E)
Reverse Speed 5% (F)
Speed 5% (G)
Add Structure CT 11 (H)

SMN-PD CT (Hero)

Energy Heat Gen -10% (A)
Deceleration 70% (C)
Turn Rate 35% (D)
Torso Yaw Speed 40% (E)
Reverse Speed 5% (F)
Speed 5% (G)
Add Structure CT 11 (H)

On the surface, if you look at the awful copy+pasting job of our balance overlord... the hero has arguably the worst quirks, followed by the Prime variant... with the D variant having the penultimate quirks.

Such a quality job from a quality overlord right?

Let's dig in further to some of the other quirks... particularly from the Hero and compare a few sections...

SMN-PD LA (2B)
Add Structure 15
UAC Velocity 10%

SMN-PRIME LA (1B)
LBX Spread -10%
LBX Velocity 30%
Ballistic Cooldown 10%
Add Structure 11

SMN-M LA (1B)

LBX Spread -10%
LBX Velocity 30%
Ballistic Cooldown 10%
Add Structure 11

SMN-F LA (1E, 1B - only listed as 1B on the PDF)
UAC Range 5%
ER laser range 5%

SMN-C LA (1B)
UAC Jam Chance -30%
UAC Velocity 20%
Ballistic Cooldown 10%
Add Structure 11

SMN-B LA (2M)
Missle Velocity 2%

So basically... the new hero's 2B dakka arm has MORE STRUCTURE than most of its 1B counterparts. The 2M arm doesn't get any love for whatever reason, but whatever, the dakka arms get more love in the form of structure (the hybrid 1B+1E arm gets some alright quirks) and still gains the UAC velocity quirk, which is pretty important unless you like the jam chances of the SMN-C's arm.

Mind you, most dakka build options tend to use the dakka torsos... so the uses will be for the bonuses though. It doesn't justify the structure buff on the new hero.

SMN-PD LT (1E+AMS)
Add Structure 20

SMN-Prime LT (1M)
Missile Velocity 5%
SRM Spread 10%
LRM Spread 10%

SMN-M LT (1E, 1M)
No Quirks

SMN-F LT (1M)
LRM spread -10%
Add Structure 15
Missile velocity 10%

SMN-D LT (1B+AMS)
MGun RoF 10%
AMS RoF 10%
AMS Range 5%

SMN-C LT (1M)
Add Structure 15
Missile cooldown 5%

SMN-B LT (1M+AMS)
AMS Range 10%
AMS RoF 10%
NARC Range 50
NARC Duration 10
Add Structure 15

So, we have the dakka torso to have no bonus structure... I guess it's for good reason. Then again, the structure quirks are all over the place... where the combo 1E+1M torso gets nothing (which is fine), but the SMN-Prime's LT has potentially the "most offense", yet velocity+structure are greater overriding factors.

Still, this doesn't point out the egregious structure buff on the hero variant... where it is perfect for the current Summoner-PPC build meta... reinforcing that section w/o consequence (not an issue for MRBC/leagues necessarily, but it's certainly a build defining option for the Summoner).

SMN-PD RT
Add Structure 20
Energy Range 5%

SMN-PRIME RT
Energy Cooldown 5%
Energy Heat Gen -5%

SMN-M RT
Energy Range 5%
Energy Heat Gen -5%

SMN-F RT (1E)
No Quirks

SMN-D RT (1B+AMS)
MGun RoF 10%
AMS RoF 10%
AMS Range 5%

SMN-C RT
Torso Angle Yaw 5
Add Structure 15
Ballistic Range 10%
Ballistic Cooldown 5%

SMN-B RT
Turn Rate 5%
Add Structure 15

So, normally you'd see some structure gains on the weaponless sections, but then again we have the SMN-M and SMN-PRIME not having it.

Again, the one that's "above" the rest is still the hero RT omnipod. However, the energy hardpoint of SMN-F is probably going to see the most use across the board, despite that. Still, it doesn't mean the PD should have a more useful omnipod than some of its alternatives.

SMN-PD RA (1E)
Add Structure 15
ER laser Heat gen -5%

SMN-PRIME RA (1E)
Energy Cooldown 5%
ERPPC Cooldown 5%
ERPPC Velocity 30%
Add Structure 11

SMN-M RA (1E)
Energy Cooldown 5%
ERPPC Cooldown 5%
ERPPC Velocity 30%
Add Structure 11

SMN-F RA (1E, 1B)
UAC Range 5%
ER laser range 5%

SMN-D RA (2E)
Er Laser Range 5%

SMN-C RA (2E)
Laser Duration -5%

SMN-B RA (2M)
Missle Velocity 2%

While I could see some justification for the 1E arm of the hero, it still has more structure than the rest, despite not having ideal firepower gains. Having more structure than the ERPPC arm kinda bothers me a little.

TL;DR

When you compare quirks, it is blatantly obvious our balance overlord didn't do a good enough job copying and pasting quirks for the CT. While it "could look" like a "different way" to balance Summoner quirks in terms of stock or omnipod sets, the hero variant omnipods (outside of the CT) when looked in a vacuum are generally superior omnipods to the alternatives (for the particular energy builds that are optimal for Summoners).

It feels like another instance of the Dartboard of Balance at work... but ultimately it actually demonstrates that there isn't one clear and obvious message on how to approach balance from an omnimech quirk combo level, and that's a symptom of poor balance in a more broader and general sense.

It could be argued powercreep in some form for the new hero and it may sell at the end of the day... but it is balance just done haphazardly at minimum and can be intentional powercreep at worse.

Edited by Deathlike, 11 November 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#2 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

I was kind of surprised to read in the patch notes that the Summoner is actually over performing?! It's like I live in a different reality where the Summoners are resoundingly mediocre. Where did this data come from?

#3 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:05 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 11 November 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

I was kind of surprised to read in the patch notes that the Summoner is actually over performing?! It's like I live in a different reality where the Summoners are resoundingly mediocre. Where did this data come from?

I'd hazard to say it has more to do with the laser "nipples"/torsos of the loyalty variants that have given the Summoner a lot more comp-friendly options (at least build defining). Otherwise builds haven't really increased that dramatically (outside of the LRM/Streak boat needing TAG, which the SMN-M LT provides).

Edited by Deathlike, 11 November 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#4 WatDo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killin' your d00ds

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

The summoner is DEFINITELY over performing. The thing moves like a medium, and now thanks to the hardpoint inflation with the new pods, it can carry enough guns to make it a huge problem in the right hands.

Not kodiak op by a long shot, but they've got a bit too many quirks now.

#5 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

Apparently, someone told PGI that the 2xERPPC nipple Summoner is doing well. So instead of dealing with that particular build, they decided the Summoner is OP, I guess?

I'm just surprised they didn't nerf the MG quirks.

#6 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

View PostWatDo, on 11 November 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

The summoner is DEFINITELY over performing. The thing moves like a medium, and now thanks to the hardpoint inflation with the new pods, it can carry enough guns to make it a huge problem in the right hands.

Overperforming relative to what?

I feel like you need to have a better answer since whatever you are saying doesn't hold up.

You can't make proper comparisons if you have no context.

#7 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:25 PM

Not gonna lie. I'm confused by that sheet.

My only question is cant I still power vomit 6 MPL alphas with my summoner without worrying about that heat bar thing all my other mechs seem to have.

#8 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 11 November 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

Overperforming relative to what?

I feel like you need to have a better answer since whatever you are saying doesn't hold up.

You can't make proper comparisons if you have no context.

No hes right. When I get my Summoner out now I'm aiming for at least 600dmg and 3 kills. I have achieved 1k once.

and thats not with the ppc meta. thats with a heat+range+cooldown+duration boosted 6 MPL poptart.

Edited by jjm1, 11 November 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#9 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:55 PM

View Postjjm1, on 11 November 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

No hes right. When I get my Summoner out now I'm aiming for at least 600dmg and 3 kills. I have achieved 1k once.

and thats not with the ppc meta. thats with a heat+range+cooldown+duration boosted 6 MPL poptart.

6MPL isn't really a dealbreaker these days.

It's doing more or less what laservomit did previously under other Clan mechs+variants.

#10 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:01 PM

View PostWatDo, on 11 November 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

I have news for you. Anything in the right hands is a huge problem for someone else.

#11 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 11 November 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

To some extent it's because the Summoner has gotten such a bad reputation that the only people who've been piloting it are people who know how to pilot it well. I don't even have the loyalties but I've gotten more 1k matches from it than any other chassis (I haven't played my KDK-3s enough to get them up there). The ST energy points just made it even better.

#12 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:06 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 11 November 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

6MPL isn't really a dealbreaker these days.

It's doing more or less what laservomit did previously under other Clan mechs+variants.

Its doing it much much better though. It has every quirk under the sun backing it up, while timber has nothing.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:12 PM

View Postjjm1, on 11 November 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

Its doing it much much better though. It has every quirk under the sun backing it up, while timber has nothing.

The Timber has other things going for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users