Direwolf Build - Does This Quad Gauss Work?

5 replies to this topic

#1 marshrover

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

DWF-PRIME

Came up with this on the fly, can't try it because I don't have the moneys. I'd really like to know if this works or if it's ****. On paper it seems like a really dangerous thing to have, considering the damage output at range, especially with an enhanced zoom module.

#2 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

Remember you can't fire all 4 together. You can only charge 2 Gauss Rifles at a time. It's a special limit they added to the game when they released the first Clan pack with the Dire Wolf.

To be anywhere even remotely within the realm of viable builds, you need to fully armor all 3 torso sections. Since you didn't need that much ammo anyway, this is a start.

The Quad Gauss Kodiak is probably better than the Dire Wolf. It doesn't have unnecessary heat sinks, it has higher mounts, and the ability to use Endo Steel and Ferro Fibrous helps free up tonnage to give it more armor.

If you're pondering Clan assault mech builds, you should also note that there's a pretty strong consensus that the Quad UAC10 Kodiak is the best assault mech in the game. It has unrivaled DPS, and the 80 point double-tap strike is devastating after you learn to plant the full burst on an enemy CT.

#3 marshrover

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

View PostProfessorD, on 19 July 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Remember you can't fire all 4 together. You can only charge 2 Gauss Rifles at a time. It's a special limit they added to the game when they released the first Clan pack with the Dire Wolf.

To be anywhere even remotely within the realm of viable builds, you need to fully armor all 3 torso sections. Since you didn't need that much ammo anyway, this is a start.

The Quad Gauss Kodiak is probably better than the Dire Wolf. It doesn't have unnecessary heat sinks, it has higher mounts, and the ability to use Endo Steel and Ferro Fibrous helps free up tonnage to give it more armor.

If you're pondering Clan assault mech builds, you should also note that there's a pretty strong consensus that the Quad UAC10 Kodiak is the best assault mech in the game. It has unrivaled DPS, and the 80 point double-tap strike is devastating after you learn to plant the full burst on an enemy CT.

Would removing some ammo for armour and replacing two of the gauss with AC 20s work? That would give some massive burst damage at close range, while still allowing for good long range damage. The original intention was simply to do a lot of damage in one shot, as I was unaware of the limit on charging gauss rifles.

EDIT: Something like this: DWF-PRIME

Edited by marshrover, 19 July 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#4 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

If you like gauss rifles, I would stick with 4x gauss and trade ammo for armor.

How many times do you use more than 90 shots? (1,350 damage potential)

Dire Wolf will never over heat with 4x gauss and still has decent damage at shorter ranges.

Now please note that 4x UAC10 builds on either Kodiak or Dire Wolf are considered the meta, but a well played 4x gauss has its place.

Adding in two uac20s will greatly complicate you build and will greatly limit your positioning options. You really want more than 3 tons of ammo per UAC20.

#5 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

View Postmarshrover, on 19 July 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

DWF-PRIME

Came up with this on the fly, can't try it because I don't have the moneys. I'd really like to know if this works or if it's ****. On paper it seems like a really dangerous thing to have, considering the damage output at range, especially with an enhanced zoom module.

I don't care what build your doing, please don't put an Enhanced zoom module on a dire wolf...

heres video of theb33f using only 2 gauss on a 100 ton king crab... please notice he doesn't use enhanced zoom module

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 19 July 2016 - 11:53 AM.

#6 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

I came to this thread expecting silly and stupid direwolf builds. I'm a tad disappointed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users