Mini Map 3.0

11 replies to this topic

#1 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:14 AM

The current bog appreciation thread got me thinking about its new mini-map. Specifically the fact Its a pixely blob of 0x00FF00 even at night, and almost useless for conferring the geometry around you.

Thinking about the game is dangerous for me, because I always have photoshop open :P

Here is the old bog as a 3D satellite up-link in glorious tinted grey.

Of course its got a few flaws to iron out, but I have to stop now and play the game, because I'm in serious danger of designing an entire information warfare system my way, with crit-space occupying UAVs and stuff :D

Posted Image

(posted to discussion and not fan-art on purpose, so people can discuss mini maps (or just hate on PGI some more, whatever))

#2 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:31 AM

Mini map 3.0? To hell with that. How do I get 1.0 back? You know, the one that worked just fine unlike virtually everything else in this game.

#3 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:40 AM

To be very honest, I really don't need colour on my minimap.

I need to see contours and terrains, so that I can size up tactical opportunities quickly. Blobs just makes me ignore the mini maps.

Grid reference is a necessity, but I just need a standard topo map setup. I don't really need to know the colour of the trees, from above (usually, green).

#4 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:45 AM

That looks seriously nice! But I doubt that it will work because we only have a small portion of real estate for the minimap.

#5 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:53 AM

View Postjjm1, on 26 July 2016 - 01:14 AM, said:

The current bog appreciation thread got me thinking about its new mini-map. Specifically the fact Its a pixely blob of 0x00FF00 even at night, and almost useless for conferring the geometry around you.

Thinking about the game is dangerous for me, because I always have photoshop open Posted Image

Of course its got a few flaws to iron out, but I have to stop now and play the game, because I'm in serious danger of designing an entire information warfare system my way, with crit-space occupying UAVs and stuff Posted Image

Posted Image

(posted to discussion and not fan-art on purpose, so people can discuss mini maps (or just hate on PGI some more, whatever))

You might be on to something here, a color normalized isometric map would help a lot with readability, though isometric projection would make it rather hard to pinpoint relative mech positions when they're jumping around near you. Considering this HUD is so laggy already, PGI might as well make the map full 3D. I doubt it would hurt performance much more.

#6 Lehmund

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:58 AM

I like it but would just keep it to the greyscale topographical map you photoshopped and keep all the current icon information for mechs and UAVs and such. All we need is relief information and large obstacles stripped of vegetation and color, like a radar info feedback.

Would make the map easy to read and tactically sound. That is all.

#7 L A V A

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 308 posts
  • LocationOn the beach!

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:22 AM

View PostLehmund, on 26 July 2016 - 02:58 AM, said:

All we need is relief information and large obstacles stripped of vegetation and color, like a radar info feedback.

Well, actually the "darkening" of the mini map and the large map started a long time ago. Little by little, the maps have become pretty much worthless.

Think this has something to do with the "info wars" thing PGI has in mind, but to me it just shows, for all their work, PGI keeps making major errors in refining their product and committing to many own goals.

They seem to want people to stop playing...

#8 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:58 AM

I don't care about enemy map symbols. I'm fine with the red doritos being taken away. I don't need to know where the enemies are facing. I don't even care about weight classes. Enemy map symbols can be dots for all I care..

..but friendly mechs need directional arrows so we can physically coordinate with each other. I sincerely wish the people that made the development decisions actually played the damn game and cared about it.

This abomination of a minimap is worse than cancer.

I will not give PGI any money, primarily because of this godawful piece of excrement.

The people who created this should be ashamed of themselves.

In a team game, they severely crippled the abilities of team mates to physically position themselves and maneuver around eachother.

Posted Image

#9 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:00 AM

That's actually rather brilliant. There's a lot of information being subtly conveyed by that mockup that is very tactically useful.

#10 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:12 AM

I would love something like this. Would be a real boon for my backward driving with my Urbie.

#11 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:25 AM

Thinking about the game is dangerous for me

You might stop thinking about the game, you are not in PGI crew and "only PGI know what is good for MWO " Posted Image

And yea your minimap 3.0 is awesome.

#12 AztecD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 656 posts
  • LocationTijuana. MX

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

Thinking about the game is dangerous for me, because I always have photoshop open Posted Image

Of course its got a few flaws to iron out, but I have to stop now and play the game, because I'm in serious danger of designing an entire information warfare system my way, with crit-space occupying UAVs and stuff Posted Image

Posted Image

that is an incredible minimap. to bad PGI wont include it.

Edited by AztecD, 26 July 2016 - 07:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users