I'd Remove Scout Mode

3 replies to this topic

#1 R3av3r

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

Disclaimer: I know this will not happen. I accept that and applaud the round panel discussions and their solutions. PGI has limits as to what it will take on right now and a complete overhaul of faction play is not on the table.

But.

Ideally?

Remove Scouting Mode
It is a bad idea to structure Faction Play in such a way that 4 v 4 game modes dramatically impact 12 v 12 game modes. The 12 v 12 players do not have a say in what happens in the 4 v 4 matches and are therefore punished in their current match for the actions taken in an entirely different match. I understand the thought process and intention in Scouting Mode as it stands. I just think that this singular point makes a dramatically negative impact on the game.

Redesign Faction Maps
Invasions should not be fought in tiny chokepoint riddled maps. They should be open, sprawling locations with fortified objective points that could be attacked and defended from a variety of different spaces. This, alone, is not enough to solve all the issues but it would go a long way to opening up the mode and allowing for a bit more creativity in match play. It'd remove some, not all, of the repetition.

Introduce Scouting Objectives in 12 v 12 Play
There is no reason why scouting can't be made a part of this game. It just has to be done differently. In Domination mode, currently, there are small field base objects that can be destroyed. Why not introduce those in Faction and give them reward values? Destroy this field base - get a free UAV sweep. Destroy this other one? Combat ID. Destroy this last one? Trigger an artilliery strike or deny it. That makes scouting machines relevant. Have these objectives far away from the main invasion objective point. This means that scouting matters - but it also matters in a way that can be countered by the individuals it impacts. I hate Long Tom - but even this would dramatically help my impression of it. It means that if it was activated against me - my team let it be activated and didn't work to deny it. Or that we could at least work to counter it. This makes more sense.

Differing Fight Conditions Between Planets
Why does every planet have the same win condition? What if some planets had larger, or smaller, drop deck tonnage? What if some planets allowed only 8v8 or 4v4 match sizes? What if the rewards for each planet were different and diverse? This would help immersion and make decisions matter more. It'd add more variety to the game in a way that tactically mattered and gave each invasion planet a different and distinct feel to it.

Anyway, some thoughts. Discuss.

Disclaimer: Discuss with the idea that most of this will never, ever happen.

#2 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

Unlike the current invasion mode, scouting can be saved.
Combat I.D. and satellite sweeps are good rewards.
Long Tom is not. Find something to replace long tom.
Then it can be tweaked for balance.

Much easier than what it will take to fix invasion.

#3 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

People who post this don't understand how real life shifts into attack phases ..

#4 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

scouting is just a 4vs4 skirmish. removing it wouldn't make such a difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users