A Network Error Occurred

60 replies to this topic

#41 NeckWorrier

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

Have this same goddamn problem where it randomly disconnects me from the game and mwomercs.com for 5+ minutes randomly. I had 3 weeks of playing then this started happening a few days ago. So ***** frustrating.

Tried all of Tarl's suggestions (renew DNS). Tried VPN and it works so it's something with my comp. When I can't connect my phone on the same internet can still connect to mwomercs.com

I've never ever had a game do this to me. So annoying.

Argh

#42 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:29 AM

Try changing your DNS server to google or something else, if you haven't already done that.

#43 NeckWorrier

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:11 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 18 January 2021 - 02:29 AM, said:

Try changing your DNS server to google or something else, if you haven't already done that.

I've tried changing it twice, it was cloudflare now OpenDNS. I'll try google now.

#44 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

View PostNeckWorrier, on 18 January 2021 - 10:11 AM, said:

I've tried changing it twice, it was cloudflare now OpenDNS. I'll try google now.

Changing the DNS could potentially clear up issues with the ISP DNS servers do not have the PGI current IP address, but if VPN resolved the issue, there there is also potentially a bad router mgt system that your pathing takes to get to the authentication server or to one of the three gaming servers. There is no GPS directions to automatically reroute the path the takes to their respective servers... :)

Does the issue happen dropping on one particular server or all three?

And besides a problematic router mgt server, the other issue could be related to your router and/or gateway (combo router/modem) software security, aka SPI (stateful packet inspection) Most mfg gives that setting their own name but you could go in and temporarily disable it (this will not disable the hardware NAT) and test without using a VPN. What can occur when if the pathing is not clear but it holds up/logjams UDP packets then releases them, that SPI can see it as an attack and close that port temporarily.

Across some other games, after troubleshooting things, a few other players had reported their Actiontec gateway had a firmware update that updated the security software on it, tighten up its settings. Disabling that fixed those member's gaming issues. And a VPN works because it hides the type of traffic being carried, so said software can not read/recognize UDP packets (from my understanding).

#45 NeckWorrier

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:30 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 18 January 2021 - 07:24 PM, said:

Changing the DNS could potentially clear up issues with the ISP DNS servers do not have the PGI current IP address, but if VPN resolved the issue, there there is also potentially a bad router mgt system that your pathing takes to get to the authentication server or to one of the three gaming servers. There is no GPS directions to automatically reroute the path the takes to their respective servers... Posted Image

Does the issue happen dropping on one particular server or all three?

And besides a problematic router mgt server, the other issue could be related to your router and/or gateway (combo router/modem) software security, aka SPI (stateful packet inspection) Most mfg gives that setting their own name but you could go in and temporarily disable it (this will not disable the hardware NAT) and test without using a VPN. What can occur when if the pathing is not clear but it holds up/logjams UDP packets then releases them, that SPI can see it as an attack and close that port temporarily.

Across some other games, after troubleshooting things, a few other players had reported their Actiontec gateway had a firmware update that updated the security software on it, tighten up its settings. Disabling that fixed those member's gaming issues. And a VPN works because it hides the type of traffic being carried, so said software can not read/recognize UDP packets (from my understanding).

Haha I'm reading this right after another disconnect.

Thank you for your help Tarl.

The issue happens arbitrarily, ingame or in menu then the disconnected state lasts for anywhere from 2-30 minutes.

I happen to have a actiontec router which already had the firewall disabled years ago. I just updated the firmware on it after reading this post.

Maybe I can open the ports for MWO manually?

Kind Regards.

#46 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:25 PM

Which Actiontec model? Dependent on the model it may have separate and different aspects. Below is an example of one Actiontec model. The SPI is separate piece from the firewall. When looking into other users issues, there is rarely separate setups like shown here, so disabling the firewall would not necessarily disable the SPI.

And remember, you did say that using a VPN you werent having any issues, which could be an indication that the issue may be outside your control even after changing gateway/router and/or DNS settings while not using a VPN don't resolve the issue.

https://www.actionte...ys/vdsl/c3000a/

Privacy and security are paramount, and the C3000A provides commercial-grade protection:
WPA/WPA2 wireless Encryption
Customizable Firewall
Stateful Packet Inspection <<<<<<<
Custom Website Filtering
Denial of Service (DOS) Protection
Intrusion Detection and Logging
Demilitarized Zone (DMZ)
Password Attack Prevention

The Actiontec M1000 is also a gateway (DSL residential modem/router) also has SPI but whether it would causes any issues or not is dependent on the initial setup or firmware updates, changing the default SPI settings. Some users though, due using a rented gateway and the provider locking down and preventing changes to some settings, is where a VPN could potentially resolve the issue since the gateway and/or router cannot see those UDP packets.

I would have said to try using Steam but that would only likely resolve the patching issue but not the actual disconnects while being connected to the game itself, since there is no VPN directly involved which routes your game pathing through Steam servers then to PGI servers.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 20 January 2021 - 06:33 PM.

#47 Vermana

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:15 PM

I have been having this issue since upgrading to Windows 10. Never happened on 7.

Only workaround is to turn off my modem and turn it back on again, then log in immediately once it powers up. Which is real inconvenient.

#48 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:28 AM

you could try a different DNS server, you know.

#49 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:54 PM

Once the correct IP is cached , DNS does little imo

I have found reducing data helps, like switch off Voip, chats

I never crash when voip and chats are off

#50 Minion27

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:13 PM

Bought the hunter pack two days ago. I was playing before I bought the pack, ever since I bought it I've been getting this error and the launcher pops up with the message instantly when I log in. Every other online game I play is working fine.

#51 Elmanos

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:43 PM

This keeps happening after the latest patch, have tried the tips here but the only thing that works is to try several times.
Have not happent before

#52 Dez902

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 05:58 PM

I too am having the same issue, and cannot login...

#53 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 03:33 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 18 January 2021 - 02:29 AM, said:

#54 Dez902

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 10:06 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 29 October 2021 - 03:33 AM, said:

So i did it and it worked, but it doesnt make sense why it wouldnt work when EVERYTHING else worked fine... can anyone explain this?

#55 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:09 AM

View PostDez902, on 29 October 2021 - 10:06 AM, said:

So i did it and it worked, but it doesnt make sense why it wouldnt work when EVERYTHING else worked fine... can anyone explain this?

DNS basically associate domain names and IP adresses.
Perhaps, some adresses have changed for MWO. And your original DNS servers have not taken all the changes in yet ?

Edited by MrVaad, 30 October 2021 - 07:09 AM.

#56 ItchyTriggerFingers

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 12:21 AM

This is happening to me now; lovely.
Was working fine 2 weeks ago, then was a bit patchy, now 100% network errors.
Win10, Steam Launcher, and all other internet including mwomercs works fine.

#57 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 05 November 2021 - 12:45 AM

View PostItchyTriggerFingers, on 05 November 2021 - 12:21 AM, said:

This is happening to me now; lovely.
Was working fine 2 weeks ago, then was a bit patchy, now 100% network errors.
Win10, Steam Launcher, and all other internet including mwomercs works fine.

Happened to me just yesterday, after updating to Win11. I was already about to change the DNS servers, but did one final restart before, and the issue just went away! Lucky me, I guess.
Anyway, if this persists for you, try the change of DNS servers for yourself. Good luck!

#58 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:09 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 04 October 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

Logging in just fine with two different systems. If it was on PGI end your post would not be the only post.... Man up and do some work/troubleshooting yourself.

Last time it was their problem. They did an update and alot of us could not sign in. Tried too tell us it was our internet provider but gave us some weird number too put in so we could connect. Then they fixed it. So now whats your answer smart man. This isnt the first time for this issue. craps been screwed up since the last time they did server maintanance and its getting worse.

#59 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 11 November 2021 - 06:17 PM

Alright everyone with this issue I found the fix. You will need too change your DNS too either 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or whatever you feel safe with. This isnt the first time MechWarrior has screwed this up and I had too change for game to work. This should fix game log in, site log in, and the unruley ping. Hope this helps everyone else. Here is a video on how too change DNS if you dont know how. Game on https://www.howtogee...our-dns-server/

#60 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:07 AM

View PostJaegerDjinn, on 11 November 2021 - 06:17 PM, said:

Alright everyone with this issue I found the fix. You will need too change your DNS too either 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or whatever you feel safe with. This isnt the first time MechWarrior has screwed this up and I had too change for game to work. This should fix game log in, site log in, and the unruley ping. Hope this helps everyone else. Here is a video on how too change DNS if you dont know how. Game on https://www.howtogee...our-dns-server/

DNS only do name->IP adress conversion. They have no impact on the ping.
So it can only help with game login and site login (which use names). After that, it's only IP adresses.

But that's still a good fix if your ISP's DNS doesn't update its associations quickly.
If MWO change something and your DNS is not up to date with the changes, you won't login.

Edited by MrVaad, 12 November 2021 - 03:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users