Something "harebrained" Is Coming....

413 replies to this topic

#401 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:19 AM

View PostTKSax, on 08 August 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

HBS Battletech is not a F2P game, just a regular pay up front to get access type of game.

I know that much, im just sayin' if Russian or Korean devs got ahold of it, the elements of it would be like that....overly grindy and all that. But since its not F2P that might just mean it will be amazing, P2P games always were better.

#402 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

Looks like it's stacking up to be a good one.
I backed it,and will play it.
but...I have to be honest,I wish they had just made mechcommander 3 instead.

#403 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostAlexandrix, on 08 August 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Well, generally I would agree ...

But look at that this way: BATTLETECH (by HBS) is going to be ten times better than MECHWARRIOR TACTICS (by IGP).

#404 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 08 August 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I know that much, im just sayin' if Russian or Korean devs got ahold of it, the elements of it would be like that....overly grindy and all that. But since its not F2P that might just mean it will be amazing, P2P games always were better.

really?? I could list a Crap ton of f2p games that are darn great games, but either not for me, or i just don't like um enough that i would play them over others.. (only so much time in a week).. and a bunch that i have spent a good 40+ hours that i really enjoyed..

I can also list a ton of games i paid 40 bucks for.. that i barely played 2 hours.. Perhaps not cause they were bad, but i just didn't find them interesting.. EQ and WOW i both bought full price, and bought a 30 dollar game card so 80 bucks total and i never could get into them, maybe made it to level 10 in wow with one character, and EQ II, 160$ down the drain.. Fallout3, and oblivion are two others that i paid full price for and never made it much past 10-15 hours. Again not bad, just not good for me. I really want to like um too, but ADD kicks in and i never make it anywhere.. and fire up a nice Group RPG instead.

DDO, STO, SWTOR, MWO, are a few of the FTP games that i have spent a bit of cash on and have more than gotten my money worth considering how much i've spent on all of them.. Was less than than buying 4 games, WoW, EQII, Fallout and oblivion.

But like i said, these days i am far more likely to wait 2-3 years and buy a game, than when they launch unless i really am trying to support the company, and i have really loved their past games.. Civ VI might tempt me, The last AAA game i bought was Dragon age III, and i got that on sale 2 years later..

That said, I am happy to see the game be a one time fee, But all that means is i could just end up waiting a year or two and wait for a steam sale, and grab it for 10 bucks. would be a good value to me, unless of course i really get the itch, and when it launches it is fantastic.. But it has to compete with a few other games as next summer is most likely when the few i have been waiting 2-3 years for will finally be at a price that suits my budget everyone has to make choices..

#405 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 08 August 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

really?? I could list a Crap ton of f2p games that are darn great games, but either not for me, or i just don't like um enough that i would play them over others.. (only so much time in a week).. and a bunch that i have spent a good 40+ hours that i really enjoyed..

I can also list a ton of games i paid 40 bucks for.. that i barely played 2 hours.. Perhaps not cause they were bad, but i just didn't find them interesting.. EQ and WOW i both bought full price, and bought a 30 dollar game card so 80 bucks total and i never could get into them, maybe made it to level 10 in wow with one character, and EQ II, 160$ down the drain.. Fallout3, and oblivion are two others that i paid full price for and never made it much past 10-15 hours. Again not bad, just not good for me. I really want to like um too, but ADD kicks in and i never make it anywhere.. and fire up a nice Group RPG instead.

DDO, STO, SWTOR, MWO, are a few of the FTP games that i have spent a bit of cash on and have more than gotten my money worth considering how much i've spent on all of them.. Was less than than buying 4 games, WoW, EQII, Fallout and oblivion.

But like i said, these days i am far more likely to wait 2-3 years and buy a game, than when they launch unless i really am trying to support the company, and i have really loved their past games.. Civ VI might tempt me, The last AAA game i bought was Dragon age III, and i got that on sale 2 years later..

That said, I am happy to see the game be a one time fee, But all that means is i could just end up waiting a year or two and wait for a steam sale, and grab it for 10 bucks. would be a good value to me, unless of course i really get the itch, and when it launches it is fantastic.. But it has to compete with a few other games as next summer is most likely when the few i have been waiting 2-3 years for will finally be at a price that suits my budget everyone has to make choices..

You liked swtor but got bored in 1-4hours of wow??

Also swtor which is to this day worst example of subscription based game going f2p out there?? pay to equip purples... ffs

And even then this is pretty simple, when you have buy2play game developer got only 2 options, 1st make a good game, 2nd deceive fools long enough to spend money. When it comes to f2p though you can increase grind, sacrificing gameplay quality in hope someone will pay to skip 40 hours of monotonous repetition and ofc you can also deceive fools long enough to believe game is worth a dollar before introducing them to 0 endgame content that they could enjoy after grinding their ***.
tldr: f2p got incentive to break their game for profits, b2p got none.

Edited by davoodoo, 08 August 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#406 JaxRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 666 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostScurry, on 07 August 2016 - 09:05 PM, said:

I backed it on Kickstarter. I just hope all this optimism doesn't just vanish after release like it did here. It's giving me unpleasant flashbacks to Star Citizen and MWO's early days.

I actually feel the same way.

The HBS game is the first game that I have every backed. I normally dont participate in Early Kickstarter stuff because of exactly what happened here in MWO.

They start off with a grand design and vision, but after launch the devs practically ignore their player base (the ones that had supported them from the very beginning) and the game goes stagnant while they just milk their supporters for all they can get.

Just like here.

But I remain cautiously optimistic and hope it works out.

#407 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 08 August 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

You liked swtor but got bored in 1-4hours of wow??

Also swtor which is to this day worst example of subscription based game going f2p out there?? pay to equip purples... ffs

To sum up my experiences in a nut shell, ANY game i have ever bought DLC for, or an expansion, OR any FTP game that i have ever paid money on. I have defiantly more than gotten my money's worth on them, and far more when compared to all the games I've just bought as complete games. Some i either never really got into, or just found i didn't find as fun as others i own. So far no game company has tricked me in FTP, or to buy DLC.. now getting a game in the first place, still never tricked, just found some i have not liked as much as others,

I'm nore sure i've ever bought a truly awful game, Maybe not for me, but not truly awful.. Ok i take that back, Maybe "warhammer Dark Omen" Might of been a truly awful turn based game, and one of the Pool of Radiance games, It was turn based and pretty bad, but maybe it needs another chance seeing i've been more into turn based games in my later years. At the time i was playing Baldur's gate so maybe it wasn't so bad, just not epic Posted Image

Though would you call buying something on sale and not playing being tricked? One day i will play you "Dear Esther and Bio-shock 2 or a number of Gog classics i have been meaning to get too.. *cough "fallout" and "Myst" But typically on those kinda sales i pick up 3-5 games for 10-20 bucks, and if i get 20-40 hours out of one of um i call it a success. Especially these days, i tend to look for short games like 2-10 hours, that i can play through in a night or two.. Not every game needs to be a 500 hour time sink for me to enjoy it.

But if you are not a power gamer, that kinda stuff does not really mater.. I spent 20 bucks or something on SWGtor.. Or was it 10? i forget,, but now that i think about it, i think my friend bought me the game and gave me a code. I played it a while back, we only played about a month, but i found it fun and worth the money. We are are actually just starting back up again.

The game has a lot you can do for free, and i find it a great game to play with a small group of friends, 3-4 people. run the stories, and enjoy the world. I also absolutely love how the RPG choices work in game, You all get to voice your opinion verse one person choosing the stories, It just makes for a more dynamic and unique experience. It feels more alive than the typical MMO quests. But yea, very similar to wow, but its star wars, and i enjoy that universe more than WoW, even as a long time blizzard fan, Diablo, warcraft and starcraft.

I also don't play for end game content.. To me it is about the journey.. Sure it is nice to have end game content, but i am more likely to remake a character and play again, verse mess around with end game stuff.. Like City of heroes, i think i had 50+ characters.. I only had 3 make it to 50.. One of my favorite things to do was make a new character, theme, costume and play the first 14 levels.. Some of their best content was Pre level 30... Though I loved the CoT and carnie at 40 something.

So compare to this game, I enjoy earning C-bills, building my mechs, Kitting them out, and getting around to leveling them ect.. I could not buy another mech for a year or 2, and be perfectly happy just buying XL engines, and setting their modules up, and just enjoy playing.

But side note.. I never really heard of HBS before this, but did some research, and learned a bit about shadow run.. After checking it out and learning some it sounds like something i would enjoy, or at least want to try, so the first shado run is now on my Wish list.. and is at the top of my list for the next steam sale, Or if it pops up on random.. But i'll bet i pick before the end of November.. So they sold a game, just for attempting this.. Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 08 August 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#408 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

Well JC, I can see how EQ might have lost your interest. EQ1 back in the day was immensely grindy. I used to watch my dad play it back in 99-03 and how he and his group would just sit outside the Karnors castle wall day in and day out grinding for hours on the same 4-5 different types of mobs for 1 level in several hours.

EQ was also highly group oriented, no solo play, since your toon was never powerful enough to do anything but solo yard trash. It was slow, grindy, but I currently play it's F2P version because, well, it was the only MMORPG that had so much good to it that it stuck with me as the game I really want to play. So, I have 2 65th lvl toons in it and I still dork around in it.

It has gotten immensely easier and its very soloable now, it has undergone a TON of changes that made it simpler. 1 piece of lvl 1 defiant gear is literally better then lvl 65 Trakanon Dragon raid gear.......so, yeah, you get to lvl 65 and wear 65 defiant your as strong as whole raid.....you have to try to die now.

#409 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:13 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 08 August 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

The HBS game is the first game that I have every backed. I normally dont participate in Early Kickstarter stuff because of exactly what happened here in MWO.

They start off with a grand design and vision, but after launch the devs practically ignore their player base (the ones that had supported them from the very beginning) and the game goes stagnant while they just milk their supporters for all they can get.

Just like here.

The advantage of Weisman's BattleTech is that there will be no microtransactions, so HBS won't milk their customers like PGI does.

#410 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:26 AM

View PostAlexandrix, on 08 August 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Looks like it's stacking up to be a good one.
I backed it,and will play it.

This was my initial reaction. But have you seen the scale of the new Battletech? They couldnt do the scale and detail like that and be able to enjoy any of it in a MechCommander 3. But sure, MechCommander 3 sounds good to. :)

#411 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 05 August 2016 - 03:27 AM, said:

I'll tell you what. Shadowrun has charm. I didn't get it but I watched some game play. If they can put that charm into Battletech then awesome. I hope some of it comes this way to MechWarrior online.

I expect Battletech will be a step above Shadowrun Returns even.

One of the best parts of Shadowrun returns is that HBS gave those who bought the game the software to create custom worlds, missions, maps, sandbox style designing. I have a crap load of hours on remaking the old SEGA version on the editor software, and many have already made their own too. The SNES version was already made, and users can upload their content they made onto steam for all to download and play,..... for FREE.

I really hope HBS gives us this feature in the coming BT game! I also like the idea of having the in the cockpit view option as one is firing on other mechs or maybe even moving.

#412 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:35 AM

View PostJaxRiot, on 08 August 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Just like here.

There are several big differences with HBS ... ones that offer a little more confidence in what they will likely produce a good product.

1) Track record. They have produced several decent Shadow Run RPG games. Similar game concept in that it is turn based and each character has a variety of actions they can perform in a turn. I backed all these on kickstarter and it worked out fine. They have also done a number of other games.

2) Personnel. HBS was co-founded by Jordan Weisman (https://en.wikipedia.../Jordan_Weisman). He is the co-founder of FASA. the original publisher of Battletech and also FASA Interactive, the publisher for most of the early Mechwarrior franchise until Microsoft bought them out in 1999. There are probably very few people on the planet with as much involvement with the Battletech and Mechwarrior franchises as Jordan Weisman.

#413 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

So my stuff shipped today.

Soon I'll have to fight to keep the ladies off me when I wear my jacket and hat.

#414 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:49 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 09 August 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

So my stuff shipped today.

Soon I'll have to fight to keep the ladies off me when I wear my jacket and hat.

Yep, the ladies sure love a Battletech nerd in a polyester jacket. It gets them all moist and randy. I wonder how much it cost to get a leather cafe racer jacket with a Wolf Dragoon's patch, some Cpt bars, my call sign with 3 campaign patches done up. I bet you there is someone in India just waiting to do it for me.

Edited by Zolaz, 09 August 2016 - 05:50 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users