Polar Highlands

20 replies to this topic

#1 amenophis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

Well I have nothing against any of the maps but I just got done playing my 5th match in a row on this map. Well PGI how about shelving this map for a while and give the other maps a chance. I know it is picked but why is it in the selection in almost every lineup. Other maps aren't in the lineup as much. You can go for days and never see mining collective. that one has really gotten to be rare so fix it so it is not in the lineup every time. Playing the same map over and over and over again makes the game really boring.

Edited by amenophis, 04 August 2016 - 08:31 PM.

#2 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

Step out of Que for a couple of minutes and your option will change dramatically. Basically you are trapped with the folks who will choose this map if you re-Q immediately.

This is called using your understanding of how the mechanics of MM and low number of buckets works and then putting those odds in your advantage.

But be aware that exploiting the mechanics may result in *******.

#3 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:16 AM

Meh ... lurmers always vote for this map. Just take smth with ERLLs and farm them from 1100m.

Seriously tho, it just shows how broken the entire voting system is. You are supposed to gain vote multiplier when map you voted for isn't selected, but even with max of x12 you can vote all you want and still don't even come close to getting what you want. I understand people wanting to play on particular maps, but it ended up with 2-3 maps played all the time and the rest just not played at all. This is stupid.

I'd rather see random map selection again. However what we REALLY need is a loadout system that is present in all previous MW games, this way you can save several loadouts for a mech you are queueing with and choose a loadout after map is selected.

Is PGI gonna do it? Probably SoonTM.
(somewhere in 2024)

#4 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:07 AM

View Postamenophis, on 04 August 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Well I have nothing against any of the maps but I just got done playing my 5th match in a row on this map. Well PGI how about shelving this map for a while and give the other maps a chance. I know it is picked but why is it in the selection in almost every lineup. Other maps aren't in the lineup as much. You can go for days and never see mining collective. that one has really gotten to be rare so fix it so it is not in the lineup every time. Playing the same map over and over and over again makes the game really boring.

This sis funny to me because in my experiences the following happens most of the time.

If HPG is an option it's voted heavily
Canyon is also voted heavily for
Mining collective another popular choice.

If one of those three are an option almost always they will win the vote.

If none of those three are options then it's a cold map (alpine or polar)

Game mode is almost always skirmish if skirmish is a choice.

If skirmish is not a choice is generally Dominion over assault or conquest and assault over conquest, Conquest is the least popular. Skirmish the most and by a huge margin.

Essentially most players want to play on the smallest maps with the least amount of variables (smash em up robots on a postage stamp)

Edited by Lykaon, 05 August 2016 - 02:08 AM.

#5 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:41 AM

I find that Polar, Frozen City, HPG, Mining and Canyon are the ones I see the most and about equally. If anything it is Frozen City that I find myself playing on the most often because it always seems to get voted in. If a map is liked by a lot of people then it comes up a lot. I never see Terra Therma selected. Caustic and Bog are also rare and then Forest Colony, River City and Crimson Straights fall somewhere in between.

#6 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:03 AM

The voting system in general needs some tweaking. I find it almost pointless to vote for a game mode when the choices are 'Skirmish vs Assault' or 'Skirmish vs Domination' or any other combination of those three. Why bother? Each of those game modes are basically played the same way and end up being a 'death match'. Might as well change the names to 'Death match A or Death match B'.

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:08 AM

funny i get bog, ,mining, and frozen all the time...

really wish they would go back to random maps, and just vote for game mode.. And seeing there are only 4 modes.. why not just have all 4 at once..

Edited by JC Daxion, 05 August 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#8 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

I don't think it's just lurmers voting for that map. Not so many lurms in general where I play, and it's a very popular map.

I have basically four major complaints when it comes to map design in MWO

- excessive chokepoints
- "obvious" central features
- small size
- "arena" feel instead of natural terrain

Polar highlands steps away from all four, and I feel without obvious places where you're "supposed" to fight at, there's just more game-to-game variety there. I'll vote for it most times, even when I'm sitting in a short-range brawler.

#9 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

Best map they have ever made for actual fluid, evolving combat. Lots of cover. Use it.

#10 Spartan 04

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 05 August 2016 - 01:16 AM, said:

Seriously tho, it just shows how broken the entire voting system is. You are supposed to gain vote multiplier when map you voted for isn't selected, but even with max of x12 you can vote all you want and still don't even come close to getting what you want. I understand people wanting to play on particular maps, but it ended up with 2-3 maps played all the time and the rest just not played at all. This is stupid.

That's a lot like saying "I keep voting for candidate X, but candidate Y keeps winning! It's not fair!". You, the player, might have a multiplier of 12x. But, obviously, so do other players. If two 6x players cast their vote for polar, well, that will obviously negate yours.

If certain maps keep winning, then it's because, statistically, the majority of the actual playerbase (not the limited amount of posters on this forum...) voted for it. It's not broken, it's actual democracy.

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 05 August 2016 - 08:36 AM, said:

Best map they have ever made for actual fluid, evolving combat. Lots of cover. Use it.

I find it could use a bit more cover, but I'm biased toward the old Frozen City and Mining Collective. I likes me a bit of shade between missile barrages. Not asking for much more, maybe just a few more tall outcrops to hide behind.

#11 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostSpartan 04, on 05 August 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

That's a lot like saying "I keep voting for candidate X, but candidate Y keeps winning! It's not fair!". You, the player, might have a multiplier of 12x. But, obviously, so do other players. If two 6x players cast their vote for polar, well, that will obviously negate yours.

If certain maps keep winning, then it's because, statistically, the majority of the actual playerbase (not the limited amount of posters on this forum...) voted for it. It's not broken, it's actual democracy.

Your logic is broken because as soon as they use their x12 and get the map they wanted they have x1 again and supposedly I can use my x12 to get the map I want and yet that doesn't work. A bunch of x1's and x2's beat your x12 ez. There is no reason to have a multiplier limiter, none at all.

#12 Digous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 117 posts
  • LocationThrough the deepest void, a blackened paradise i walk alone.

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

Yeah i agree. Polar highlands is ALWAYS an option.

Maps like Manifold are seldon coming up as options lately.

I think there should be something a bit like how it works on starcraft for instance.. you can rule maps down if you do not want to play on that map.

This way everyone would play their map set of choice.

Edited by Digous, 05 August 2016 - 02:34 PM.

#13 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

I played one game today on Polar Highlands where, somehow, at least half of the other team brought Large Lasers. It didn't work out for them. Their Light Snipers were killed off and the base was captured as the enemy tried to fight their way back to base.

But the maps I see all the time: Canyon Newbwork, HPG, and Ice City.

View PostDigous, on 05 August 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

Yeah i agree. Polar highlands is ALWAYS an option.

Maps like Manifold are seldon coming up as options lately.

I think there should be something a bit like how it works on starcraft for instance.. you can rule maps down if you do not want to play on that map.

This way everyone would play their map set of choice.

Or give us a chat lobby where we can host games publicly and the people who want to play this game mode or that map can 24/7.

Edited by Stone Wall, 05 August 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#14 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:04 AM

I havent seen Terra Therma in a long time.

#15 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:00 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 06 August 2016 - 02:04 AM, said:

In 2 months, I have played it twice.

#16 Digous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

Also, frozen city used to be one of the coolest maps imo.

now its just longe range boredom all over =[

#17 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:19 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 06 August 2016 - 02:04 AM, said:

That's why you have to vote for it everytime it shows up ;)

#18 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:25 AM

View Postamenophis, on 04 August 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

Map voting, and a weekend, equals lrm boats

You want variety, plead with P.G.I to remove voting.

#19 Digous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

View Postugrakarma, on 06 August 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

That's why you have to vote for it everytime it shows up Posted Image

i believe he's trying to say terra therma is not even available for voting....

#20 Hans Brackhaus

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

View PostRampage, on 05 August 2016 - 06:41 AM, said:

I find that Polar, Frozen City, HPG, Mining and Canyon are the ones I see the most and about equally. If anything it is Frozen City that I find myself playing on the most often because it always seems to get voted in. If a map is liked by a lot of people then it comes up a lot. I never see Terra Therma selected. Caustic and Bog are also rare and then Forest Colony, River City and Crimson Straights fall somewhere in between.

Its about the same for me.

I usually vote for Polar. I like the map, even when I don't bring LRMs, and I've had a couple of my best games to date there.

Frozen City seems to beat everything and it's the one I'm getting kinda tired of. Most games on it are just snipe-fests with both teams afraid to move. I think the worst I've seen was was a game counting down to about the 5 minute mark before any opponents got within 500 meters of each other. Posted Image

I've played Terra Therma the least. I don't care for it so I never vote for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users