- - - - -

So I'm Eliting The Hunchback Iic Chassi...

Help Me Question

34 replies to this topic

#21 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:14 AM

View PostTercieI, on 10 August 2016 - 06:52 AM, said:

The LRMs are going to be much, much worse at that. The A is definitely the star variant of this chassis (2LPL+MLs to taste, 6MPL and 2ERPPC all good builds) and the B the dud. The SRM brawler can be brutal, but it's very hard to use well. If you haven't already bought it, I'd suggest a version of this can be run on both the "prime" and the C. The "prime" can also run triple UAC/5s and the C can run like an IS hunchie (not great, but super fun),

I do already have a HBK-IIC-C with this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb04b189cfb5388
I think it does the same job as the A variant, but much worse, for some reason (maybe the shorter range, dependance on ammo or the ******* weapon jamming all the time). Already farmed the EXP for all the Basic Perks for it, so I need a 3rd one.

I looked at the 2 last variants and, as I've tested and disliked the C Ballistic variant, I thought about using the Missile variant.
I think I'll try both the LRM and the SRM builds. It's not that costy to mount both, anyway. And it's experience on different builds, weapons and playstyle.

Edited by Hawke Gritzan, 10 August 2016 - 07:15 AM.

#22 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostTercieI, on 10 August 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

Yeah, it's a tricky brawler. Pop-shooting the SRMs is the key to survival. You're too squishy for a pure brawl. It's the worst variant of the four, but can be a lot of fun.

This bad boy and Griffins are what I have the most fun with these days.

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 10 August 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

I don't know if I like the SRM build.

It lacks too much range (anything beyond 400m is a no-go) and requires you to be in the center of fights. With my (little) experience with my HBK, when you see yourself in the center of fights, you're dead not too long after. I play mostly (with my laser build) running in the edges of brawls poking enemies and discouraging Lights from approaching my team's Assaults and Heavies from behind, and it works quite well.

I think the LRM build can do the same (to some extent), even thought it's probably much worse against Lights.

Like Terciel said, the way to play it is a jump sniper. Find cover near the front line or a choke point, wait for an enemy, then pop up and send them a salvo. Artemis and the range module are a must for this IMO. Every meter is critical when using SRMs so pushing the range up to 297m is ideal.

It will be harder than LRMs, for sure, but it is infinitely stronger and more satisfying to play once you get the hang of it.

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 August 2016 - 07:18 AM.

#23 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 10 August 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

This bad boy and Griffins are what I have the most fun with these days.
Like Terciel said, the way to play it is a jump sniper. Find cover near the front line or a choke point, wait for an enemy, then pop up and send them a salvo. Artemis and the range module are a must for this IMO. Every meter is critical when using SRMs so pushing the range up to 297m is ideal.

It will be harder than LRMs, for sure, but it is infinitely stronger and more satisfying to play once you get the hang of it.

Yeah, it's very fun, but we are in New Players' here, so may be beyond the ken. I kinda feel like it's one of those mechs that's fun specifically because it's so finicky and you have to really play it craftily to get good results. That said, LRMs are still a chump gun.

#24 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

Changed my C build into this "sniper" build. Much better and funnier to play!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b1afb1eb0afcfd

#25 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

May I offer a counter proposal?

To be fair, mine actually trades some ammo for four er smalls an a bit more arm armour, but I've had tons o luck with dual gauss on it.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 10 August 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#26 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostLeone, on 10 August 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

May I offer a counter proposal?

To be fair, mine actually trades some ammo for four er smalls an a bit more arm armour, but I've had tons o luck with dual gauss on it.

~Leone.

Will try!

But are the Sinks really necessary, with no Energy Weapons?
If not, that's 2 tons and 4 extra slots.

#27 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 10 August 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Will try!

But are the Sinks really necessary, with no Energy Weapons?
If not, that's 2 tons and 4 extra slots.

Yes, because you have to have a minimum of 10 heatsinks for the mech to function.

250 size engine comes with 10, 225 is 9, 200 is 8. So with that engine you are required to add another 2 heatsinks.

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 August 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#28 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 10 August 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

Yes, because you have to have a minimum of 10 heatsinks for the mech to function.

250 size engine comes with 10, 225 is 9, 200 is 8. So with that engine you are required to add another 2 heatsinks.

Oh! Thank you!

Didn't notice he had downgraded the engine, thought.... =\
Probably wont test his build anymore, engines are costy... xD

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cfccd522d18943a

Maybe this is better for a "long range" type of mech?
Not so sure about the PPC in CT because it's kinda low (but still higher than in arm).
I think it lacks punch too.

#29 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 10 August 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

Maybe this is better for a "long range" type of mech?
Not so sure about the PPC in CT because it's kinda low (but still higher than in arm).
I think it lacks punch too.

Well you are correct in your assumptions. It has the range, but AC2's lack punch and do not have good synergy with PPCs.
For this variant your best sniping options are dual gauss or dual UAC5's.

If you only have that engine though...

HBK-IIC-C
IS hunchback on steroids I guess.

Id probably go dual UAC10's. Less range but more punch.
HBK-IIC-C

This could work too, may be a little toasty.
HBK-IIC-C

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 August 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#30 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:18 AM

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 10 August 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

Didn't notice he had downgraded the engine, thought.... =\
Probably wont test his build anymore, engines are costy... xD

But... but XL 200 is the stock engine the mech came with...

T_T

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 11 August 2016 - 12:18 AM.

#31 Hawke Gritzan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

View PostLeone, on 11 August 2016 - 12:18 AM, said:

But... but XL 200 is the stock engine the mech came with...

T_T

~Leone.

I sold it to buy the 255... xD
Should I keep all the stock engines of future mechs?

#32 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

I like keeping all my engines, and other bits as it is, in the long run, more expensive to buy something back. (You only sell em for half price.)

That said, it's upto you if'n you want to run under engined mediums. Not everyone appreciates the slow but mighty medium mech. I suggest things that've worked for me, and I am not you. Think about what I suggest, but, in the end, if you felt the stock loadouts were too slow for you, then your decision got you your faster engine quicker. (Although, with engine swapping capacity, I'd save at least one of em, just to try it out if you buy more hunchie two cs.)

But alot of us advocate never selling something, because you can always find a use for it.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 11 August 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#33 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 11 August 2016 - 05:25 AM, said:

I sold it to buy the 255... xD
Should I keep all the stock engines of future mechs?

Its a good idea to keep everything if you can help it. I only sell excess engines and for the ones I use often I usually keep three.

It's not awful though, just try to plan your 3 variants around the engine you already own.

Edited by Roughneck45, 11 August 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#34 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

View PostHawke Gritzan, on 10 August 2016 - 06:42 AM, said:

I don't know if I like the SRM build.

It lacks too much range (anything beyond 400m is a no-go) and requires you to be in the center of fights. With my (little) experience with my HBK, when you see yourself in the center of fights, you're dead not too long after. I play mostly (with my laser build) running in the edges of brawls poking enemies and discouraging Lights from approaching my team's Assaults and Heavies from behind, and it works quite well.

I think the LRM build can do the same (to some extent), even thought it's probably much worse against Lights.

I wanted to respond to this because I think there's a good learning point here. You're right, a medium, ANY medium, is too fragile to last long in the middle of a big brawl. So the key is learning where you need to be, to be one who is shooting, not the one getting shot. There are a couple of way to do this and which one works for you will depend on your personal piloting style but the central idea is that you're never the only 'mech that the enemy can see.

The two obvious way to do this are firstly, to stick next to someone bigger and meaner than you are that the enemy wants to shoot more and two, to not be seen at all. Which one of these works best comes down to map, positioning, skill level (of yourself and your bigger meaner teammate) plus a bunch of other more subtle factors like what weapons load-out the enemy is carrying, what they're trying to do (push? defend? disengage?).

I play my mediums in what I call a skirmisher role. Basically circling the edges of the main fight, taking shots if they present, watching for an enemy flanking maneuver and falling upon anyone injured/isolated like 50 tons of fury and missiles. So I prefer the not being seen method. If you get caught out doing this, you will die. Such is the brief but glorious life of the medium.

Good luck!

#35 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

cleghorn is right. the SRM HBK IIC is devastating if played right. you need to be supporting brawls, not be the front man. the JJs also allow you to poptart over low cover, coupled with the high mounts, it greatly reduces face time with enemies.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users