Why Can Harebrained Schemes Sell Battletech Gear, But Pgi Cant?

79 replies to this topic

#1 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

PGI has stated over and over that they do not have the rights to sell Battletech merchandise. However, HS has all kinds of Battletech swag offered with their game. HS can offer Founders and Backer rewards with jackets, patches and caps but PGI is unable to do so?

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

Because they're not SELLING them (technically).

At least i'm pretty sure that's the idea.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 10 August 2016 - 11:03 PM.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

Licensing rights.

#4 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

Two different companies two different license agreements?

/boggle?

#5 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

The only thing i was aware PGI couldn't sell was MINI's or Figures like from the TT game. Even toys might be off the table....

But yea its in the licensing im sure, put HBS also never SOLD any merchandise, they GAVE it away if you BOUGHT a FOUNDER pack for the GAME. This is completely different then selling merchandise outright for cash.

#6 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

View PostZolaz, on 10 August 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

PGI has stated over and over that they do not have the rights to sell Battletech merchandise. However, HS has all kinds of Battletech swag offered with their game. HS can offer Founders and Backer rewards with jackets, patches and caps but PGI is unable to do so?

Okay, I'm going to take this at face value, and that you do not understand what happened when FASA closed up...

Three companies got the various rights to everything Battle Tech.

Iron Wind Miniatures got to keep the rights for the miniatures, they are currently the only place to buy new models for TT.

WizKidz got the rights to Battle Tech, sans miniatures, sans "Mech Warrior" (the RPG for Battle Tech), WizKidz then sold the rights to Catalyst Games Labs / Topps, these are the guys that control anything to do with "Battle Tech". They are also the ones that can license the ability to make psychical stuff.

Microsoft got the rights to Video Games (Mech Warrior / Mech Commander / Mech Assault, but not "Battle Tech") and "Mech Warrior", but not the rights to make physical stuff. So when PGI bought a license to use "Mech Warrior" from Microsoft, they would not have been able to get the license to make physical stuff form a company that never had it in the first place.

#7 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

Different licenses. Mechwarrior is based on battletech but there is a difference. Battletech is quite seriously electronic battletech so they likely have the same licensing stuff. Also they probably profit split really with the creator, which is fine I enjoy the tabletop. I am just excited about playing my friends that are a thousand miles away again.

#8 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

I was really tempted to get a jacket. But it didn't age-appropriate for me to ever wear one :(

#9 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 10 August 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

Licensing rights.

On any physical goods.

#10 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:35 PM

HS is not selling merchandise, but they are trying to work with Topps to do just that. The gear you are seeing was promotional items given away with certain levels of kickstarter donations.

That being said I do hope they can work something out as I would love to buy the rest of the house banners to go with the one I am getting with my pledge tier.

#11 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

I wonder how much of a financial impact it would have on MWO / PGI if PGI would have been able to sell physical goods related to Mechwarrior and this game. If they could sell miniatures, jackets, Founder t-shirts, etc. Would this only be a tiny income based on a few whales and hardcore TT fans? Or would it have made a big difference?

#12 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:41 PM

Wonder if PGI's agreement to allow HBS use of MWOs' models would allow HBS to create physical versions for sale
(with profit sharing)

#13 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:44 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 10 August 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

I wonder how much of a financial impact it would have on MWO / PGI if PGI would have been able to sell physical goods related to Mechwarrior and this game. If they could sell miniatures, jackets, Founder t-shirts, etc. Would this only be a tiny income based on a few whales and hardcore TT fans? Or would it have made a big difference?

Often a question I ask myself, as I know I would buy a Timber Wolf, Warhammer and Phoenix Hawk miniature in a heart beat from PGI, much to my Wife's lament if I were.

#14 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

Yeah Metus got it right. The licensing is split between multiple companies.

That's why independent people on Facebook and so forth are making a killing with unlicensed miniatures and products.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 10 August 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Yeah Metus got it right. The licensing is split between multiple companies.

That's why independent people on Facebook and so forth are making a killing with unlicensed miniatures and products.

Yeah... they are all over ebay. Most are pretty poor quality 3d prints, at least.

#16 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostDamocles, on 10 August 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

Two different companies two different license agreements?

/boggle?

No Juodas is right, HBS has already stated that they can't sell the stuff, they can only GIVE IT AWAY as backer rewards.

#17 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

COPYRIGHT LAW IS FUN KIDS!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 10 August 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

They could work out rights for the models to the company that makes the miniatures, I guess?

#19 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostBaulven, on 10 August 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Different licenses. Mechwarrior is based on battletech but there is a difference. Battletech is quite seriously electronic battletech so they likely have the same licensing stuff. Also they probably profit split really with the creator, which is fine I enjoy the tabletop. I am just excited about playing my friends that are a thousand miles away again.

You can do that in MegaMek you know.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 August 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yeah... they are all over ebay. Most are pretty poor quality 3d prints, at least.

That's because relatively inexpensive home 3D printers don't have the kind of resolution you need to make a really good model.

I'll be honest. If I wanted to make quality durable models I'd make molds and have them machined with a laser (is it still machining if it's done via laser?) and make them out of pewter.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 10 August 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#20 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

HBS is not selling those things, HBS is giving them as rewards for taking part in the Kickstarter campaign. Jordan Weisman said that currently HBS does not have right to sell those things (although they are in negotiations to change that).

Edited by martian, 10 August 2016 - 01:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users