Epic Assault Event And Sale

198 replies to this topic

#81 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:49 AM

Personally I hate that you have to have three mechs for mastery perks. I know it's suppose to be an MC/C-Bill/XP sink but that also stops a lot of casual players from trying out different mechs.

Everyone asks "which is the best mech to use" rather than which mech do I want to play with because you are investing in 3 mech worth of time/money rather than just 1. The end result is a lack of variety and a bunch of meta mechs running around because who really has the time to level 3 sub-optimal mechs for 'fun'?

#82 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:59 AM

View PostAppuagab, on 10 August 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:

PGI, can you stop doing this please? Awarding players with garbage is very rude. I'd rather have 100 c-bills or 10 gxp istead of pile of trash which I have to see every time I fit my modules.

Play a scout like me and I love these as I use Improved UAV's in the solo queue in all my lights and meds. ;)

#83 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAt home, at work, or on the stage... mostly

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:14 AM

View PostAnimeFreak40K, on 10 August 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

"SPACEBALLS!!!? Oh ****, there goes the planet..." :)

#84 Teslacoil

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:20 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 10 August 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

LOLOLOL I just bought 3 Victors not 48 hours ago...

Time to contact Customer Service...

Does that actually work? I bought 4 clan assaults just a while back. Posted Image

#85 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:44 AM

Scuse me, did AWS-8Q not on the sale? or am I blind.

#86 Dorci

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 47 posts
  • LocationLow Signal (Hungary)

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:43 AM

Heeehe, time to bring the big dakka-dakkas Posted Image

Oh, I just noticed that the Kodiak isnt on sale... Whyyy PGI, whyyyyyy???! Posted Image
If this event is called assault event, why arent some mechs on the list? Seriously.

#87 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:48 AM

View PostAramuside, on 11 August 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Will they with Heat 2.0?

Maulers have dakka. Dakka will be stronger after heat 2.0. So will be the BNC-3E.

I wouldn't want to sound ridiculous, but stalkers have survived every meta change and have always been T2 OR BETTER, in the history of their existence, and I doubt high hardpoints and great hitboxes will ever go outta fashion.

Not so sure on the energy Banshee and battlemasters.

#88 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:59 AM

Well because the Kodiak only JUST went to MCs eight days ago. Even discounted bundle MCs with discounted mech MC prices though they'd still be more economical to just buy via the web store for straight dollars. See $100 bundle works out as 250MC per dollar.

So say you just want a KDK-3 and a spirit bear... 13,780 MC. - 35% = 8,957. / 250 = $35.83USD worth of MC. But for $35 you can get another KDK-1 and 2 also AND they come with mech bays for all four AND 30 days of banked premium time AND a warhorn, hanging and standing cockpit items AND Title & badge.

In general, ever since they went to $20 basic pack and $15 hero store pricings, its been cheaper in dollar support terms to buy packs via the webstore than thru the IN GAME store. MC is best used for mech bays, decals, colors, camo patterns, and the OCCASIONAL single mech purchase of heroes or champions on sale (like when they do the hero/champ 50% one). The classic 4 unseens are now all cbill purchases except for the heros, and thus they're no longer better bought through the webstore (aside from the bays included, premium time and extras).

For example, the banshee mastery pack is $37 direct store purchase or 9,185MC In fame store purchase ($36.74 worth of bundle MC). But I really only want the hero model for my permanent collection. The 3M(C) really needs an expensive XL engine to justify keeping, and the 3E likewise needs that AND double heatsinks and endo steel. Better for me to just buy the LM for 4631MC ($18 worth) once the sale starts, and get two other basics variants to skill and then sell them once I do that. The only reason to get the bundles otherwise is the premium time (which I am already rolling in), the extra bays, and the cbills I don't have to spend on two basics that are only sticking around to be skilled enough to unlock the expert level on La Malinche.

Edited by Dee Eight, 11 August 2016 - 04:25 AM.

#89 AchingNoodle

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostTeslacoil, on 11 August 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

Does that actually work? I bought 4 clan assaults just a while back. Posted Image

The limit is 24 hours before the sale starts or after it finishes. I got a refund on my Ember because I bought it less than 6 hours before the Light sale started.

Edited by AchingNoodle, 11 August 2016 - 05:30 AM.

#90 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 11 August 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

Well because the Kodiak only JUST went to MCs eight days ago. Even discounted bundle MCs with discounted mech MC prices though they'd still be more economical to just buy via the web store for straight dollars. See $100 bundle works out as 250MC per dollar.

So say you just want a KDK-3 and a spirit bear... 13,780 MC. - 35% = 8,957. / 250 = $35.83USD worth of MC. But for $35 you can get another KDK-1 and 2 also AND they come with mech bays for all four AND 30 days of banked premium time AND a warhorn, hanging and standing cockpit items AND Title & badge.

In general, ever since they went to $20 basic pack and $15 hero store pricings, its been cheaper in dollar support terms to buy packs via the webstore than thru the IN GAME store. MC is best used for mech bays, decals, colors, camo patterns, and the OCCASIONAL single mech purchase of heroes or champions on sale (like when they do the hero/champ 50% one). The classic 4 unseens are now all cbill purchases except for the heros, and thus they're no longer better bought through the webstore (aside from the bays included, premium time and extras).

For example, the banshee mastery pack is $37 direct store purchase or 9,185MC In fame store purchase ($36.74 worth of bundle MC). But I really only want the hero model for my permanent collection. The 3M(C) really needs an expensive XL engine to justify keeping, and the 3E likewise needs that AND double heatsinks and endo steel. Better for me to just buy the LM for 4631MC ($18 worth) once the sale starts, and get two other basics variants to skill and then sell them once I do that. The only reason to get the bundles otherwise is the premium time (which I am already rolling in), the extra bays, and the cbills I don't have to spend on two basics that are only sticking around to be skilled enough to unlock the expert level on La Malinche.

Yep, when I need MC and Premium time I buy a mech pack. It's the best value.

However I currently have a lot of MC, Premium time, and more mechs than I know what to do with....all mastered.Posted Image I have all the packs from the Clan wave one to the Warhammer, but nothing since that. (Didn't get the earlier packs as I started playing when the Phoenix pack was out...and unfortunately I missed buying that one.) I'm a bit of a BattleTech and Robotech fan from way back, so I was a bit nuts about getting all of the mechs, but I broke the habit...or at least toned it down a bit.

Our Canadian dollar took a dive just after I bought the Warhammers. Since PGI uses USD everything costs me about 40% more than what you see posted. ($100 USD was about $140 for me.) That and I was getting a bit bored with the game, and after a while many of the mechs just seemed to be the same thing in different forms.

So now I'm buying the packs when I want MC and PT. And other than that I buy the heroes when they go on sale, and then buy two or more of the similar mechs with Cbills. That's how I got my Archers and Riflemen. I'll be doing the same with the Kodiaks when they come up next.

I used to try winning the mech bays, but it seems that PGI isn't giving those away any more...unless you win a mech. So I buy those when they are on sale too.

Now, as for these Supply Caches. I'm not a fan. My experience and everyone I talk to is that the cheapest item in the cache has the biggest chance "by far" of being picked. Even when you have a cache with all good items but one, you get the one crap item. And it's usually worth less than the $50,000 cbills that you would get if you sold the cache.
I'm sitting on two supply cache keys now, and likely won't be using them unless the cache has nothing but items that I want in it...which isn't likely to happen, so probably never.

For me the prizes in the current events are not interesting. I don't need XP, cbills, or consumables. I play now for the mech, mech bay, or cockpit item that I don't have. The supply cache to me is just $50,000 cbills, or some random weapon or something that I don't need or want.
It's still a good event for new players, but if you've been playing for a while the prizes aren't too enticing. I'll be playing, but only to hang with some friends and because I still like the game.

The leader board is also a bit annoying. The only way to stay in the top ten is to play a TON of games almost non-stop. You can then get then odd really super games under your belt. Or cheat, or have friends throw games to you....which I have seen happen. If you are playing normally you have almost no chance to get anything good. So it's not worth trying for most people.

I consider myself a pretty good light mech pilot, and I was on vacation so I put some more effort into the last leader board event. But pulling matches of 700 to over 1000 damage, and even having matches where I kill half the enemy team myself could only get me to like 16th place or something. Anytime I got into the top ten I would be bumped out by the following day.
I was running the Locusts. Once myself and another guy in a Locust managed to kill the entire enemy team ourselves...once. But to get some of the scores I saw on the leaderboard you would need to have ten games where you did 10 solo kills in each...or something close to that. Not impossible, but dam near.

Since this will be an assault event, I may stick to my lights. Quicker to get into games, and many assaults are easy prey. Muhahaha Posted Image

#91 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

Stupid me bought my only 3 Assault mech, Mauler other night with cbills and then next day they announce this sale. Typical timing for me.

#92 Spartan 04

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:15 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 11 August 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

Thanks for the economic analysis. I've always wondered what was the best value for my limited CAD bucks. So, just to clarify:

1. Mech packs are better than buying MC through an MC sale and then spending that MC on the mechs you want?
2. Better to just buy a little MC and by the Hero mech you want, and just wait for the C-bill variants to become available?

Kinda wish I had waiting on buy that Mauler MX90 for C-bills, but them's the ropes.

(On the subject of Mech Packs, is that Marauder IIC a worthwhile exchange of mortgage money for entertainment? I still haven't figured out the underlying math of this game...)

#93 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

pre-orders if done IN the early adopter window are worth it just in terms of the bonuses you get during that period. Just the flat $20 basic pack secures the early adopter status... you can ADD the upgrades later closer to release date once the designers unveil final art renderings, and any quirks.

#94 THumper9669

• PipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

Can we get away from the begging of PGI to buy mech packs? I think not. They have just about killed Faction play with all the pug events. Its bad enough that you use to have prizes that actually were good but now it just little bit here and there. Guess just to use to when PGI use to take care of the players when it came to the events. Meanwhile here is a little some thing that shows PGI and their mech packs

#95 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostTHumper9669, on 11 August 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

Can we get away from the begging of PGI to buy mech packs? I think not. They have just about killed Faction play with all the pug events. Its bad enough that you use to have prizes that actually were good but now it just little bit here and there. Guess just to use to when PGI use to take care of the players when it came to the events. Meanwhile here is a little some thing that shows PGI and their mech packs

GD it! I thought I was the only one that thought of this...

(written back in Feb, but not posted until summer)

"Do you want to build a snowman" as sung by Russ (Anna) and the community (Elsa)

Do you want buy a mech pack?
Maybe a hero a la carte?
You deck is old
Buffed mechs were already sold
Time to look smaaaaaaaart!

You want them, you know do,
The new meta is on the rise...
Do you want to buy a mech pack?
(Elsa) "Fix FP Anna!"
Okay, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuy....Posted Image

Edited by MovinTarget, 11 August 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#96 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

Looking at the event as a few scores go in already.... least popular mechs are...

Awesome, Banshee, Executioner, Highlander, Highlander IIC, Victor and Zeus.

The highlander itself... TWO players so for onto the board. The next lowest is 12 players.

Most popular ? Kodiak. followed very closely by the dire wolf.

Edited by Dee Eight, 11 August 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#97 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

You forgot the Gargoyle.

But the best thing about the event is, I guess, playing a Locust.

#98 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

One thing to remember to speed up matchmaking...enable all three server zones.

#99 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Bad event. 8 to 12 Assaults per Team really ruining the game for any other than assaults or lights ...

#100 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

Time to go for some Battlemasters, I think. Which Hunchback IIC variant to sell?

What's the customer appreciation rewards people are talking about?

Edited by Keltan, 11 August 2016 - 11:42 AM.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users