Arctic Cheetah "broken To The Point Where Using One Is An Exploit" And "king Of The Light Mechs"?

521 replies to this topic

#1 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

Does anyone else feel this way? I just saw this tweeted to Russ... watch out for Arctic Cheetah nerfs coming up soon! I just thought it was a top light because it didn't get wrecked by the rescale like the rest. Any light pilots care to comment about the OPness of the Arctic Cheetah?

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

Not even slightly. Jesus tapdancing Christ...

#3 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,537 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

Well after we saw how well it outdid the lights for the recent leaderboard, we shouldn't be that surprised, especially since we know that lights aren't allowed to be remotely as good as bigger mechs. We aren't allowed to have lights that are actually worthwhile.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 10 August 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#4 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

Reference: https://twitter.com/...346372485586946

You can follow the conversation to see how its going.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

The short answer is lolno.

The long answer is that although it doesn't have any "explicit" weaknesses (e.g. Superman gets weak from Kryptonite kind of weakness) but the Cheeto does have the implicit weakness of being a 30-ton light mech. As such, it has pretty low pod space (only 8 tons means that lasers are the only choice ever) and low health per body part (vulnerable to pinpoint burst damage like PPFLD). Having minimal quirks doesn't help much.

It's basically like the (post-quirks) Shadow Hawk of the light class, except that all of its brothers have been smashed by the Nerfhammer already.

Edited by FupDup, 10 August 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#6 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

When it first came out my initial reaction to seeing them everywhere was a mass case of rolling my eyes. I had to call the Catholic Church to stop all the exorcists from coming to my house.

They're easy to use, have good geometry and great loadouts.

But then I learned to deal with them and they became no more threatening than anything else.

But I can imagine that the people who have difficulty targeting light mechs due to geriatric levels of hand-eye coordination hate them.

Edited by dervishx5, 10 August 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#7 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 10 August 2016 - 02:51 PM, said:

Well after we saw how well it outdid the lights for the recent leaderboard, we shouldn't be that surprised, especially since we know that lights aren't allowed to be remotely as good as bigger mechs.

I mean, it barely edged out the Locust, which barely edged out the Adder, which barely edged out the Firestarter/Jenner. 3400 to 3700 and change. Hardly an earth shattering disparity there. Jenner IIC was down at 3325ish.

#8 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

You really don't even need to be good with FLD weapons, lasers work marvelously against them. ECM is not all that helpful for it since it telegraphs presence (wut am da "j" key du hurr?) and has such a short range, it heats up quickly, it loses arms quickly.

All you have to do is not be as stupid as a bag of hammers and you can at least ward it off.

#9 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,537 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 August 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

I mean, it barely edged out the Locust, which barely edged out the Adder, which barely edged out the Firestarter/Jenner. 3400 to 3700 and change. Hardly an earth shattering disparity there. Jenner IIC was down at 3325ish.

If you look at the data Tarogato pulled up, it was a bit more damning, but even still, the Cheetah should be the baseline for lights, not the other way around.

#10 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 10 August 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

Not even slightly. Jesus tapdancing Christ...

Wtb, Jesus tap dancing meme

#11 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostImyerHuckleberry, on 10 August 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

Wtb, Jesus tap dancing meme

Posted Image

#12 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

Jesus people if you like lights you should get over there and be saying that other mechs need adjusted up to cheetah levels not down even further.

#13 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

First of all I would NOT say that they are "SO OP" or its an exploit to use them.

As a primarily light pilot i will say they are uniquely strong. If you are scouting by yourself and you come across one, 9 times out of 10 you have no hope of winning a 1v1 if he's fresh and if you try to run it's dubious as to whether you'll survive. It would be nice if they had just one weakness but they are just all around too solid. very tough to contend with as inner sphere unless ur in a higher weight class.

edit -- after seeing other saying lights should be brought up to cheetah level instead of nerfing ACH

I agree with this sentiment, either way something closer to parity should try to be achieved. if you do it by quirks or giving other lights better hitboxes or rollback rescaling whatever.

They are probably tougher than they should be for the weight class but its not to a redonkulous extent.

There will always be a "best in the game" mech or so people will say.

Edited by Wolf Ender, 10 August 2016 - 03:09 PM.

#14 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

Plz tweet russ to nerf locust again coze i still see some in my matchs !!

#15 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

Its pretty good... for a light mech...
Which makes it decent over all.
And being a decent mech while being a light mech causes it to be one of the most over rated mechs in the game.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 10 August 2016 - 02:51 PM, said:

Well after we saw how well it outdid the lights for the recent leaderboard, we shouldn't be that surprised, especially since we know that lights aren't allowed to be remotely as good as bigger mechs. We aren't allowed to have lights that are actually worthwhile.

maybe if we had a game that was something besides TDM......

#17 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 10 August 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

Posted Image

Beautiful

#18 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

I don't think its a stretch to say that the Arctic Cheetha is "unbalanced" when compared to other lights. Its the hands down superior option in almost all scenarios in comparison to other light mech options, which in turn makes it "unbalanced" against the greater range of lights.

But that doesn't mean its "overpowered" which is something else entirely.

I don't feel like the ACH is overpowered, but its defiantly "unbalanced" against other light options. So I'm not entirely opposed to any kind of changes they do to make other options attractive to take over the ACH, as long as the general power level doesn't dip too far down, as I do not believe that the "baseline" of where the ACH is now is really that bad.

#19 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:15 PM

A lot of the problem stems from some players that remember firing 2 streams of LRM20s at a Jenner IIC in Mechwarrior 2 and watching it explode when they played it for the first time. To them, that's how lights should be.

#20 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 10 August 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

A lot of the problem stems from some players that remember firing 2 streams of LRM20s at a Jenner IIC in Mechwarrior 2 and watching it explode when they played it for the first time. To them, that's how lights should be.

Because TTK is so low in MWO compared to other MechWarrior games..................

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users