20 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Brackhaus

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

Hey guys.

With the sale going on I'm looking for some advice on buying a new assault mech. I've been playing a little over a month now, I own 3 Stalkers which I enjoy a lot and I've dropped a few times in the trial Battlemaster. That's my only assault experience so far and I'm looking to up my game.

I'm generally a mid-to-long range player. I'm not afraid to brawl, exactly, but I'm nervous in a mech that's exclusively short ranged. I only play solo que (so far).

I've narrowed my choices down to 3, and I admit these are based a lot on aesthetics and what "looks fun." And there's 1 caveat: I'm going to be springing for a hero variant so please consider that.

Highlander: I have an irrational attraction to the Heavy Metal. I think it's the paintjob. Posted Image But speaking mechanically it offers some things I haven't played with: a jump-capable assault and primary ballistic weapons. Other variants I'm looking at are the 732B for the tankiness and the 733 for the AC/10 quirks. But I understand the Highlanders aren't held in the highest regard. I don't care about "meta" so much, but is it so bad I won't have any fun with it in QP?

Atlas: I've always been a fan of the Atlas in BT and other MW games. The Boar's Head looks awesome, and I would also get the D-DC but not sure on the third variant. I'm afraid my skillset is not up to running these big boys yet though. No, I don't want to strap LRMs on them but not sure I want to go full-on brawling either. I don't want to screw the team if I fail spectacularly. Seems like a couple variants are good with LLs, so that interests me.

Battlemaster: Maybe my favorite in terms of aesthetics, I get the impression the BLR is mechanically the best of my three choices, or a least fits into the laser meta better. Which is great, but I already have laser-packing hill-humpers in my Stalkers and I'm not sure I want to invest in a mech that's going to be functionally identical to what I already have. Is it just going to feel like a rehash of the Stalker? Also, I'm not sure I'm sold on the Hellslinger, the paintjob is great but otherwise it seems nothing special.

Please tell me if I'm way off base or judging these mechs wrong. I appreciate any and all advice you can give me.

Thanks for reading.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Your analysis is correct.

Highlanders are the least "meta" of the three right now. The most reliable builds usually involve UAC/AC 5's and PPC's or large lasers. You can also configure some nasty brawl set ups. My favorite for the heavy metal is two AC5's and 3 Large lasers. They do have JJ's but assault JJ's are crap, don't expect to be jumping up to things more like hovering over things that stub your toe. Its not bad at all, its just not the "best" right now.

The Atlas is great but it shines as a short range battering ram not so much in the ranged department. The boars head is fun but probably one of the weaker variants. I used to run six large lasers on mine but that was more fun than effective.

Battlemaster is the meta, highmounted laser vomit. They are fun mechs with large engine caps and solid hardpoints. You can make some good AC5 builds for them too. The hellsinger is pretty meh, I was never able to find a build that really "clicked" for me and its been collecting dust ever since.

Edited by Roughneck45, 11 August 2016 - 10:45 AM.

#3 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

With the exception of the Boar's Head, the Atlas is really designed for only brawling.
You're going to be slow, which makes corner poking very inefficient, and the low slung arm mounts frequently get blocked by terrain. It's best to embrace extreme close range, when piloting and Atlas, though the dual-LBX/3 SRM4/6 build does allow a bit more 300+M viability.

The Battlemasters are pretty great; unlike the Stalkers, many people run these with XL engines (I generally use an XL375), which lets them more or less move fast enough to keep up with IS heavies. There is a bit of a trade-off with durability in that sense, but the 2C has nice structure quirks to keep it alive a bit longer as well. Sure, you're probably still boating lasers, similar to the most popular Stalker builds, but mobility will be very different.

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

Just sos you know, I tend to brawl, so keep that in mind. I will offer, herein, my most favourite of each mech, an let you decide which you like best.

HGN-733: Linebacker

AS7-D-DC: Command and Control

BLR-1G: 3025 Legal

And yes, that is my favourite battlemaster. Faster mechs just let me get into more trouble sooner.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 11 August 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#5 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

To the TC, you have a great analysis preset there so really... All you gotta do some soul searching to find which you are more bias too. (I can tell you have done a lot of research, and this final stretch is the hardest).

Now... Let me try to persuade you to the mech I personally and partial too.

I present to you sir, the Battlemaster!

This chassis can do many things!

First of all, its an absolute monster when it comes to high mounted laser weapons! This platform can hill hump for days!

She can pack a great spread of engines! And if played well, with the right build can actually rock the coveted XL engine type!

Already got a laser boat you say... Well sir, dont you worry! This bad mama jammer can rock the missle boat, which means she can also srm splat boat! Yes sir, she can be quite the brawler if you so wish it!

She can also dabble a little into ballistics! You want to rock double ppc + guass? Sure thing! Go for it!

Lastly, her shoulder pauldrons make great shields!

And as a parting gift, you dont have to spend a dime, since all the good varients are c-bill mechs!

The BLR-2C is a terror on the battlefield! Go with 3x LPL + 3x MPL for a heat efficient energy platform, or decimate the opposition with the dreaded 5x LPL!

Or you can go with the long range LL boat and sport a wopping 6 ER LL on the BLR-1G... Laugh as you spam the new frozen city map and overwatch the killing field with your 1, 2, 1, 2 left right combo!

Your enemies will tremble with every thunderous step you make! And when you drop the hammer, the scars you will inflict will hurt so much that their ancestors will feel it!

Come and join us! To the church of BLR!

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 11 August 2016 - 11:43 AM.

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostLeone, on 11 August 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

And yes, that is my favourite battlemaster. Faster mechs just let me get into more trouble sooner.

~Leone.

Is there a reason you aren't using DHS and ENDO?

Edited by Roughneck45, 11 August 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#7 doughnut001

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP, got myself 3 stalkers of which I only really play one (4N with 4LL, 2 srm6 artemis and AMS, can't remember engine size but it does over 60kph).

I was considering buying more assaults in the sale but I think i'll be better off right now concentrating on building a drop deck for FW. Right now my only module is a single radar derp so between modules and mech upgrades I'm 30-70 million credits from having a single IS drop deck with the gear I want.

On top of that I have no heavy mechs so to get a deck with good mechs AND gear will cost me 100m+.

Add to that the fact that I'll want a clan deck at some stage too and that's god knows how much money.

So I'd maybe suggest to the OP to save his money, despite assaults going on sale. If you have a stalker 4N and 5M you can have LRM, sniper (1200m range), and SRM brawler builds that seem to work pretty well.

#8 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

View Postdoughnut001, on 11 August 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

So I'd maybe suggest to the OP to save his money, despite assaults going on sale.

Heresy!

#9 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 11 August 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Is there a reason you aren't using DHS and ENDO?

It was a test case. Seeing if stacking more single heat sinks could out cool double heat sinks, (And testing heatsinks in legs inna water, but that just didn't do enough to make it worth it.)

In the end I realized that I had, inadvertently, build a 3025 legal mech that performed as good as my pimped out mechs. So when my BLR-1G earned it's endosteel upgrade, I decided to forgo it in order to keep it 'pure'.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 11 August 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#10 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:18 PM

If you go the Atlas route I definately recommend the S-version. It's the best brawler of the lot of them with it's high number of missile (SRM) slots. The D-DC is also good of course because of the ECM but can project slightly less damage.

I find Assaults to be extremely expensive in terms of MC but if you want that Boar's Head then go for it! (I've always had the idea of running this horrendously hot build with it: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e16bbb6b21ba031 )

#11 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:41 PM

I know someone that runs 6LPL on the BH, and it's one of his favourites, because it's fun.

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:59 AM

Boarshead is on the lower end of the Atlas variants

#13 Hans Brackhaus

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

I'd like to thank everybody who offered their advice and suggestions.

I took Aleksandr's words to heart and did some soul searching. And what my soul told me is that it was never going to be happy until I tried out the Heavy Metal, so I picked one up. Still getting the hang of it but I'm having a great time so far. I'll definitely be picking up two more Highlanders to go with it.

Special thanks to Leone for your 733 Linebacker build. I'll be giving it a try for sure.

A little ways down the road, when I've rebuilt my C-bills and decide to get a new mech, it will be the Battlemaster. It was a tough choice but at the moment I just felt like I would have more fun with the Highlanders.

I'm going to leave the Atlas until I have a good bit more assault experience under my belt.

Thanks again guys.

#14 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostHans Brackhaus, on 12 August 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

I'd like to thank everybody who offered their advice and suggestions.

I took Aleksandr's words to heart and did some soul searching. And what my soul told me is that it was never going to be happy until I tried out the Heavy Metal, so I picked one up. Still getting the hang of it but I'm having a great time so far. I'll definitely be picking up two more Highlanders to go with it.

Special thanks to Leone for your 733 Linebacker build. I'll be giving it a try for sure.

A little ways down the road, when I've rebuilt my C-bills and decide to get a new mech, it will be the Battlemaster. It was a tough choice but at the moment I just felt like I would have more fun with the Highlanders.

I'm going to leave the Atlas until I have a good bit more assault experience under my belt.

Thanks again guys.

Have fun with your shiney new toy! May you crush all your opposition under foot!

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 12 August 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#15 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

View PostHans Brackhaus, on 12 August 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

^__^

So, if'n ya want, I have compiled some suggestions on ways to use assaults. Less build considerations, more tactical advice. Stuff to consider now that you tromp around in one of the biggest stompiest mechs out there.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 12 August 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#16 Hans Brackhaus

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

Thank you for the link. A ton of helpful info in there. Posted Image

#17 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 11 August 2016 - 11:41 PM, said:

I know someone that runs 6LPL on the BH, and it's one of his favourites, because it's fun.

Is there a Smurfy link available? I would LOVE to try his loadout.

#18 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

Easy: STD300, 6LPL, 19 heatsinks

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a33423c06968ad2

Whale slow, so keep moving.

#19 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 13 August 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

Easy: STD300, 6LPL, 19 heatsinks

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a33423c06968ad2

Whale slow, so keep moving.

THANKS BRO!

#20 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

View Postdoughnut001, on 11 August 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP...

I was considering buying more assaults in the sale but I think i'll be better off right now concentrating on building a drop deck for FW. Right now my only module is a single radar derp so between modules and mech upgrades I'm 30-70 million credits from having a single IS drop deck with the gear I want.

On top of that I have no heavy mechs...

Base three warhammers and an oxide. Done. ;)

P.S. Oh crap, now everyone knows my dropdeck...

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users