15 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:31 PM

After the last two weeks where I farmed HBKII-Cs and used dual CUAC20s during the medium sale and used pulse lasers during the light sale, I decided to try a Direwolf build that combined the two things I learned.

DWF-PRIME 2xCUAC20 + 6xCMPL

It's not quite an alpha beast since you can't alpha, but within the span of about two seconds it can deal 128 damage and maybe another 64 a second later with a cool shot. I used UAC20 range/CD and MPL range so the effective range is around 380-400m which isn't too bad.

I grouped up 3 MPL + 1 UAC20 on left click and another 3+1 on right click. I also have separate groups for each UAC20 (for heat management) and the MPLs (for things I'm not confident of hitting with UACs). So I just double tap left click for 64 damage, wait half a second and double tap right click for another 64 damage. Heat isn't as bad as I thought and I managed to stay in a fight for quite awhile.

Not the best build in the world, but it's damn fun when the UACs don't jam. Firing discipline required for maximum enjoyment. Also you can probably instantly kill any light mech that stands still for two seconds with just half your guns. Posted Image

The tarcom's there to increase the UAC velocity and make it easier to hit with, but if it's not a big deal for you then you can probably do without it. Posted Image

#2 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:56 PM

just a suggestion

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c2bf2a2c3f6db7

#3 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

I don't think you can brawl with a direwolf. That thing has the speed and flexibility of a brick, brawling involves maneuvering and twisting. It's more like a close range ambusher, you get into a position the enemy is likely to poke and BOOM anyone who does. May work when your team is passive but not when it pushes. Oh wait that sounds like most PUG matches, so it must be a fun build Posted Image

PS: As long as you stay out of Alpine and Polar, that is Posted Image

EDIT: Btw you can try 2 UAC10, 4ERML, 6SPL. It has some medium range DPS and it's brutal at corner camping. Do not fire the ERMLs in close quarters though, too hot.

Edited by Brizna, 31 July 2016 - 12:51 AM.

#4 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:54 AM

View PostBrizna, on 31 July 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

I don't think you can brawl with a direwolf. That thing has the speed and flexibility of a brick, brawling involves maneuvering and twisting. It's more like a close range ambusher, you get into a position the enemy is likely to poke and BOOM anyone who does. May work when your team is passive but not when it pushes. Oh wait that sounds like most PUG matches, so it must be a fun build Posted Image

PS: As long as you stay out of Alpine and Polar, that is Posted Image

EDIT: Btw you can try 2 UAC10, 4ERML, 6SPL. It has some medium range DPS and it's brutal at corner camping. Do not fire the ERMLs in close quarters though, too hot.

Yeah, just puglandia. My alternative build for it is Ghetto Kodiakwolf with 4 UAC10, but I understand the SPLs and that they are great to take out lights who get in your face. :3

View Postknightsljx, on 30 July 2016 - 11:56 PM, said:

I'll give this a go too. Certainly looks more flexible :3

Edited by Elizander, 31 July 2016 - 04:00 AM.

#5 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:55 AM

A dire is pretty much the last thing i would bring to a brawl.
Drives like a steakhouse but hits like a truck.

View PostElizander, on 31 July 2016 - 03:54 AM, said:

My alternative build for it is Ghetto Kodiakwolf with 4 UAC10,

Now that ghostheat on UAC10s got fixed it runs pretty hot, double tab 4 ultras for 33% heat is gone for good.
I'd say a mix of 2 UAC10 + 2 UAC5/LBX10/AC10 is more valid in brawls.

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 31 July 2016 - 05:55 AM, said:

Now that ghostheat on UAC10s got fixed it runs pretty hot, double tab 4 ultras for 33% heat is gone for good.
I'd say a mix of 2 UAC10 + 2 UAC5/LBX10/AC10 is more valid in brawls.

Yes, it's definitely bad to alpha them. I only have them in 2 firing groups so it's 2x2 and I just wait a bit before firing the next one when using 4xCUAC10. Not as good as a Kodiak, but honestly there are a lot of Kodiak's out there who pretend they don't have high mounted ballistics and just face stare out in the open so it's even most of the time. :)

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostElizander, on 31 July 2016 - 06:40 AM, said:

honestly there are a lot of Kodiak's out there who pretend they don't have high mounted ballistics and just face stare out in the open

Word, had such a specimen just yesterday, staring at me and complained after he died with "we really got nerfed now". Note how he wrote "we" instead of "kodiak".
Apparently i have killed him with 2 alphas from my "4 laser" mech. It was actually 15 medium and 9 large pulse all together from my blackknight. He literally stared at me the whole time, no idea how that went unnoticed on his side.
Couldn't resist and replied to him with the question if he "can't handle the nerfed black knight?".

#8 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:28 AM

2UAC10 3UAC5 is still the king of Dire dakka.

I personally use 5UAC5 3ML since I can't be bothered to stop myself from alpha striking at mid range and spraying (different velocities on the cannons), which actually isn't THAT much inferior.

5UAC5 is also cooler, one heat per 5 damage. ML just for that first alpha strike.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 31 July 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

2UAC10 3UAC5 is still the king of Dire dakka.

I personally use 5UAC5 3ML since I can't be bothered to stop myself from alpha striking at mid range and spraying (different velocities on the cannons), which actually isn't THAT much inferior.

5UAC5 is also cooler, one heat per 5 damage. ML just for that first alpha strike.

could you like me your build? I run 5 UAC5 myself (besides 2 uac10 + 2LBX10) would actually run 6 UAC5 but 5 is still low on ammunition.

#10 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

I'm going to assume you're asking me to link my builds.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f269f9709a7963a
DWF-S, 2xUAC10 3xUAC5

Straight off metamechs. I don't use it much these days since my point and click fu is horrible

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9a27e5a4cb23544
5UAC5, 3ML

~50% cooling efficiency even when double tapping. Some people prefer 4 ML, but I only want the uac spam.
It's got 54 alpha strikes worth of ammo, and 27 if you somehow never jam while double tapping.

More than enough ammo for me, anyway.

#11 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:41 PM

One of the guys in [GROG] (Madrummer) was quite intoxicated yesterday and took a dire whale in a private Solaris-style free for all. He did amazingly well with it (won 2 of 3) in 8 man no-HUD drops.

His load out was 2 Lb20s and an Ultra 20. I forget how much ammo he had but it ran pretty cool. Obviously, it was meant for only having to kill 3 mechs at most but 700+ damage each run with no aiming reticle was still damned impressive. Just something to think about that flies in the face of common builds.

#12 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:20 PM

The Direwolf is not a street brawler the direwolf is a semi truck that drives through the crowd in the street... Too soon?

#13 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 31 July 2016 - 05:55 AM, said:

Actually, it's the first thing I'd bring to a brawl, just not necessarily for actually brawling - I'd faceroll into people and hopefully make a decisive path for the rest of my team's more nimble brawler mechs. But I may be slightly unhinged

#14 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:54 AM

The atlas is far better suited to that role, since it can take more hits without issue, and can actually engage (not shoot, of course) several targets at once thanks to better speed, twist range etc. It's also a far better facetanker, when you see the hitboxes.

Dire twisting is an intensive exercise involving arrow keys, JJ and hurt fingers. It's a challenge I enjoy, but it's not something I'd take for group queue/CW if my guys said they'd want an assault brawler.

The Dire is a gunboat that can suppress half the enemy team without issue if it's at the right range. An unholy terror even. But it's no brawler.

#15 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

Dancing in a Dire isnt easy or recommended
All the same I keep 8 ER Smalls on my UAC5 boat
for close encounters.

Dual LB20x's and Dual LB10x works ok
But not a reliable killer on bigger units

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 01 August 2016 - 11:07 AM.

#16 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 30 July 2016 - 11:56 PM, said:

Only 6 points of back armor??? Seriously?? Oh man I couldn't wait to find this thing when piloting my ACH-Prime. Just 2 alphas and your butt is toast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users