The Jenner Hunter

19 replies to this topic

#1 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:46 AM

I hate Jenners.

The current event, featuring assault mechs, has brought out a plague of BUGS. Locusts. Arctic Cheetahs. And JENNERS. They're everywhere. Everywhere! Orbiting assaults. Ambushing you from a distance with ER Large Lasers and a single PPC. Wolf packing you. Will no one rid us of this turbulent mech?

So...I've discovered something fun. And, ironically, I have the Jenner and its brethren to thank for it.

Last night in the group queue with my unit, we were practicing tactics and trying to train a new caller. The caller happened to be a kid, about ten years old, so our 12-man was getting had by PuGs routinely. And we were subject to weight restrictions. I got out a Pixie.

45 tons. Six jump jets. Standard 270. One large laser, two medium lasers, 3 machine guns, and AMS. Pathetic, right?

Maybe not.

Pixie is fairly fast...104 kph speed tweaked. It literally can out-fly a Shadowcat. It has fairly decent hitboxes and durability for a 45 ton chassis that is about as tall as a Black Knight used to be. It has great visibility as a result. And it is agile.

It can turn with a Jenner. Heh heh heh.

Enter The Jenner Hunter.

"Be vewy vewy quiet...I'm hunting Jenners!" I went looking for the elusive Jenner in its natural habitat: Backstabbing the nearest Atlas. I screened the assault lance. Every time one of the little €%#[\¥s started sniping from a distance I went trooping off In Search Of. You ever see a Pixie and two Arctic Cheetahs wolfpack an Oxide? Glorious! It was visiting sweet, sweet revenge on my natural enemy using its very own tactics!

By the time the hunt was over I bagged three of them. And two Arctic Cheetahs! And participated in a bunch of other kills obtained by much better pilots than I. Thanks, Obama!

For those who don't know...the Pixie is the derided Phoenix Hawk. PHX= "Pixie."

Edited by Chados, 14 August 2016 - 04:51 AM.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:48 AM

I assume you're talking about IIC Jenners, because pretty much nobody uses IS jenners.

#3 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:50 AM

You are correct! But one or two Oxides.

#4 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:53 AM

You found a way to kill Jenners that works ?

More power to you ! FO'REAL .

#5 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:55 AM

It doesn't always work. But boy, it was fun!

#6 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:02 AM

View PostChados, on 14 August 2016 - 04:55 AM, said:

It doesn't always work. But boy, it was fun!

...is all that counts Posted Image .

Edited by Besh, 14 August 2016 - 05:02 AM.

#7 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

View PostChados, on 14 August 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

45 tons. Six jump jets. Standard 270. One large laser, two medium lasers, 3 machine guns, and AMS. Pathetic, right?

Yes.

Yes, it is.

Pixie is fairly fast...104 kph speed tweaked. It literally can out-fly a Shadowcat. It has fairly decent hitboxes and durability for a 45 ton chassis that is about as tall as a Black Knight used to be. It has great visibility as a result. And it is agile.
It can turn with a Jenner. Heh heh heh.

No, its hitboxes are absolutely horrific. By far the worst hitboxes in the game, when you consider the fact that 100% of your firepower is located in your arms. You also have less firepower than the Jenner and less speed. You can take more damage in the legs and torso, but your arms are huge and fragile.

It's cool that you were able to good results, but calling the Pixie a Jenner Hunter is like calling the Dragon a Stormcrow hunter. The Phoenix Hawk is a terrible, terrible mech. Keep hunting light mechs with that build, and you are very unlikely to come out on top in the long run, unless you're stuck in a low tier where people aren't as good as you. It's sad, but it's true.

#8 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

How to hunt Jenners in 1 easy step.

Step 1: Builds a streak crow

Done

#9 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:17 AM

While all that essentially is true, Alistair, I take the position that "good" is relative. You're talking to a crazy female here who often runs a lore-build Summoner Prime. And enjoys it. Maybe that's another reason I keep swinging between tiers 3 and 4.

Pixie's pretty bad, yeah. But you're a low priority target in a Pixie because of that, and it gives you some freedom to work. And it's hysterical to watch otherwise-godly light mechs cut and run when the machine guns start pinging them. They're not used to being hunted...especially not by Elmer Fudd.

Maybe I ought to name my Pixie-1b "Elmer Fudd." Hey, thanks! By the way, I HAVE used the Dragon to hunt Stormcrows. Fang's pretty good at it, with those AC/10 quirks. Muahahahahahahaaa!

Oh, and Trout-while true, I tried that with a Streakcat and they draw MASSIVE aggro on the battlefield. The appearance of a Shadowcat with streak 6s is almost like running the average LRM mech. And I find the recycle time of Clan SSRMs to be irritating.

Edited by Chados, 14 August 2016 - 05:51 AM.

#10 PJohann

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSoviet Union

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

I hate Jenners.
The current event, featuring assault mechs, has brought out a plague of BUGS. Locusts. Arctic Cheetahs. And JENNERS. They're everywhere. Everywhere! Orbiting assaults. Ambushing you from a distance with ER Large Lasers and a single PPC. Wolf packing you. Will no one rid us of this turbulent mech?

Played skillcrow with 12spl during light event. Walking delete button. Incredibly hot and effective against all those little buggers. Even collectet some salt on video Posted Image

And currently having a blast with 12spl... Gargoyle! Fast, durable, much cooler than SCR or Nova, counts as assault (can bait couple lights on "defenceless lone assault").

#11 Chados

• 1,948 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:52 AM

That GAR-D looks like fun :)

#12 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:55 AM

Jenner IICs - those huge mechs standing next to the small Catapult.

#13 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:00 AM

The Skillcrow beats your Pixie in everything. Beside maybe the visuals.

#14 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:08 AM

View PostChados, on 14 August 2016 - 05:17 AM, said:

crazy female

From a man's pov, that is a pleonasm Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:08 AM

While all that essentially is true, Alistair, I take the position that "good" is relative. You're talking to a crazy female here who often runs a lore-build Summoner Prime. And enjoys it. Maybe that's another reason I keep swinging between tiers 3 and 4.

I also run the stock Summoner Prime, actually. Although I swapped the LRM15 for an LRM10 in order to get more armor and ammo on it. So I know where you're coming from. And I've had some decent matches with it. I just wouldn't go so far as saying "Well, the stock Summoner Prime is the new Timber Wolf hunter" :P

But the most important thing is to have fun and find new ways to make the game entertaining. Lately I've been running the Hunchback IIC with dual cUAC20s, to bring back memories of Battletech.

Pixie's pretty bad, yeah. But you're a low priority target in a Pixie because of that, and it gives you some freedom to work. And it's hysterical to watch otherwise-godly light mechs cut and run when the machine guns start pinging them. They're not used to being hunted...especially not by Elmer Fudd.

MGs do create an irrational level of fear, especially at low tiers. Kind of like pinging a single LRM5 at people, just to make them stressed by the missile warning. :)

Oh, and Trout-while true, I tried that with a Streakcat and they draw MASSIVE aggro on the battlefield. The appearance of a Shadowcat with streak 6s is almost like running the average LRM mech. And I find the recycle time of Clan SSRMs to be irritating.

Can confirm. If I see a Streakboat on the battlefield, it instantly becomes my top priority, no matter what mech I'm in.

Those easy mode pilots need to learn their lessons.

#16 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:09 AM

I don't get the complaints about Phoenix Hawk hitboxes. I'm not going to argue that it's a good 'mech in this game, but this is one problem it does not have.

It rolls damage like a boss, I've never had an IS XL engined mech go below 20% health that often. That problem is that doesn't take it very far: it's just a bit too big, a bit too slow, and a bit too squishy to last very long. ACH's outperform it in light mech duties, and if you're going 45-tonner fire-support then you get competition from SHC's and BJ's.

#17 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

If assault mech pilots would learn to pilot their gundams there wouldn't be the need for players to build 'light killer' mechs.

#18 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

My Jenner or light hunter is a Stormcrow, loaded with medium pulses and streaks. RUN light mech RUN!!!

#19 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:28 AM

OP: Any mech bigger than 45 tons or less than 25 tons is a Jenner killer. It's basically a sluggish handling CT, running around trying in vain to prove there's a capable light other than the Cheetah. You're just figuring out how to kill Jenners? You shoot in their general direction, with any weapon on any other mech.

View PostCaptain Luffy, on 14 August 2016 - 06:47 AM, said:

My Jenner or light hunter is a Stormcrow, loaded with medium pulses and streaks. RUN light mech RUN!!!
4mpl and 6spl is my baby. Love that thing.

#20 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 14 August 2016 - 04:48 AM, said:

I assume you're talking about IIC Jenners, because pretty much nobody uses IS jenners.

I main the Jenner F. Takes work to get 600-700 damage before dying. Part of the fun besides the speeeeeed. I did take my Legacy Atlas today and did over 800 damage just launching LRMs. Really makes me question the PSR.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users