Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:01 PM

feel lucky your not in a place like this

#2 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

About 8 years ago, a random person went door to door trying to open every door in the apartment complex across the street from me.

He found a door left unlocked went inside and tried to stab to death everyone inside, for no reason.

I heard screaming outside at around 3 am in the morning. I go outside to see what it was but didn't hear anything. Thought someone must have been watching a horror movie or something.

Later I hear a guy screaming HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP at the top of his lungs. He screams for awhile.

Went back outside. There was a parking garage that had a weird effect on sound so I couldn't really figure out where the screaming was coming from, it was like 3-4 am in the morning kind of sketchy go be wandering around in the dark not knowing what I might run into so I gave up. I saw some of my neighbors on their cellphone & guessed they must have been calling the cops.

Later it turned out a random guy for no reason stabbed the man's wife and after he had stabbed her repeatedly for awhile as she slept, he attacked her husband who had been sleeping right next to her. He also took some swipes at their little children who were in the apartment with them but none of the kids were critically injured.

So yeah, I guess things like that happen. Sad.

I don't own any guns, but I have a machete within arm's reach when I sleep.

edit - should mention that's because I live in an area with something like a 20 minute police response time.

And I see a lot of people walking up and down the street at 3-4 am in the morning fighting about stuff.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 02 August 2016 - 10:30 PM.

#3 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

Had this happen to me some years ago, then one time a guy actually walked into my apartment, but we chased him out. Very lucky, not everyone will suddenly turn and run. Now I always keep the door locked even when I'm home.

Then I have this friend that's in the police force. He talks about locks, security systems, etc. and how they put the sticker for the system on your door. But he says of all the security system stickers, the one that scares criminals away the most... is a sticker from "The National Rifle Association". Now I want to have one of their stickers. I gotta admit, if I was a thief I wouldn't want to try and rob someone that had a bunch of guns and knew how to use them.

#4 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 03 August 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

I agree but I refuse to support the NRA cause... they are some pretty vile people that run it.

I don't know much about them, you might know more about the organization than I do. It seems there's a lot of crazy people in a lot of organization's these days. But I do like the idea of something on my door that let's people know not to mess with me (though it's only for the purpose of avoiding confrontations.)

#5 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostStingray1234, on 03 August 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

But he says of all the security system stickers, the one that scares criminals away the most... is a sticker from "The National Rifle Association". Now I want to have one of their stickers. I gotta admit, if I was a thief I wouldn't want to try and rob someone that had a bunch of guns and knew how to use them.

Reminds me of the first minute and 20 seconds of this. Posted Image

#6 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 03 August 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

My defense is basically upon opening my main door, I have equipped motion sensors so if my door is unlocked and someone walks in without the remote to turn off the sensors, it makes a loud noise that basically could wake up the whole complex. And then to boot I have made my own automatic pepper sprayer which if all those alarms are triggered will go off. So anyone entering my apartment gets noise overload, and pepper spray in the eyes and then I come out and if they are still there... well I have 4 pistols hidden around my apartment for safety.

If I ever morph into a thief, I'll be skipping your place ;)

#7 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

Hey Marack ?
What if you modded your door a bit more ?
Hook it up to some highpower pneumatic cylinders that slams the door closed savagely after sensing the pepper sprayer going off ? Im just guessing that the alarm noise and the unloading of the pepper sprayer does take about 2-3 seconds .
Maybe alongside some door-reinforcing ?
Anybody stupid enough to leave any bodyparts inside the doorframe has broken bones after that except he axes the door away completely .

Edited by B0oN, 03 August 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#8 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:29 AM

It's this type of situation that makes me glad to own a gun. One nice chair, a glass of ice tea, and a Colt 45.Posted Image

#9 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

I live in a state ranking amongst the toughest in gun control laws and lowest in per capita gun ownership.

Few regular people have guns here.

But when criminals get arrested they almost always have fully automatic rifles and body armor.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 05 August 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 05 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

Get yourself a really big dog and one of these:

Posted Image

16-inch barrel in a bullpup design, perfect for cqb and home defense. 42 round magazines mean you won't run out until the intruder leaks air better than colander.

The dog will help you never have to use the weapon. Make sure it is a mean sounding breed.

#11 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

View PostB0oN, on 03 August 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Hey Marack ?
What if you modded your door a bit more ?
Hook it up to some highpower pneumatic cylinders that slams the door closed savagely after sensing the pepper sprayer going off ? Im just guessing that the alarm noise and the unloading of the pepper sprayer does take about 2-3 seconds .
Maybe alongside some door-reinforcing ?
Anybody stupid enough to leave any bodyparts inside the doorframe has broken bones after that except he axes the door away completely .

Assuming people here are serious ...

That's a potential recipe for disaster. It's not a good idea.

View PostMister Blastman, on 05 August 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Get yourself a really big dog and one of these:

Posted Image

16-inch barrel in a bullpup design, perfect for cqb and home defense. 42 round magazines mean you won't run out until the intruder leaks air better than colander.

The dog will help you never have to use the weapon. Make sure it is a mean sounding breed.

Better.

#12 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 05 August 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

Pieces of paper never stop a criminal lol. I have always thought gun regulations are dumb just because any time the USA has regulated anything it has only made a market for said item.

Alcohol, drugs etc. It is the same with guns.

Just like prohibition.

#13 H3llokuromi

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 03 August 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

My defense is basically upon opening my main door, I have equipped motion sensors so if my door is unlocked and someone walks in without the remote to turn off the sensors, it makes a loud noise that basically could wake up the whole complex. And then to boot I have made my own automatic pepper sprayer which if all those alarms are triggered will go off. So anyone entering my apartment gets noise overload, and pepper spray in the eyes and then I come out and if they are still there... well I have 4 pistols hidden around my apartment for safety.

Lol I used to have a car battery with the hot side alligator clamped to the inside of my door handle when I lived in brooklyn.

1100 amps will put a dent in most anyone's day if they make a good enough earthen ground. ( o_ 0 )

#14 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 02 August 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

I don't own any guns

I do and I dont live anywhere scary. I sure as **** would if I lived there

Actually reminds me of the **** that Vile Rat said the night he died.

https://www.themitta...ws/rip-vile-rat

#15 Choppah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIn transit, ETA unknown.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

While these posts about traps on doors are interesting, they would open you up to a whole slew of legal issues should someone not trying to break in inadvertently trigger the device (electrified door knob... what if someone brushed up a against it on accident?Posted Image ). My first thought would be firemen checking rooms even if the fire is on the other side of the building but other scenarios you didn't think of may happen. A steel door and frame with deadbolts going into two separate parts of the frame will prevent anyone from getting in for long enough time for either the cops to arrive or you to get out via the fire escape. Provided of course, the cops do come in time and escape is an option because it may not be for lot of people.

That said, should all attempts to prevent forced entry fail, a firearm, and by extension lethal force, is your last line of defense. Now I know many may frown upon the suggestion of a Steyr Aug by Mister Blastman but there are multiple reasons to use a 5.56x45 caliber rifle indoors.

First of which is the ammo is designed to tumble, meaning if you miss and the bullet strikes a wall (even 1 sheet of drywall), there is a extremely high chance the round will begin tumbling and lose a lot of its energy. This will prevent major over penetration, and should some bystander accidentally be struck by said tumbling round, they would likely not receive a deep wound if any wound at all. Secondly, the 5.56 is pretty light on recoil, along with the large sight radius and 3 points of contact (hands on grip and forend, stock against shoulder) rifle's have, will make it easy to keep on target with minimal practice.

I would recommend some self defense books by Mas Ayoob. He has been a police officer and a expert witness for self defense trials for more than two decades. Go to the library and check out whatever you can find that he authored. He even has a book called Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense that is exclusively about self defense trials and how they played out for better and for worse. You will have many doubts removed regarding self defense, and the tools used by extension, after reading it. He clearly explains the US justice system's expectations for what constitutes self defense and how it is different from manslaughter. These standards in place are very well scrutinized and usually match what would be considered morally correct IMHO. There are variations depending on the state you live in of course but it is a good general guide.

To OP (and anyone else reading) please ask me to clarify or expand upon anything in this post or SD in general if you want me to, either in this thread or as a PM. I can only imagine the terror you must face on a weekly basis. I believe no one should be denied the knowledge or the tools to defend themselves and their loved ones. My advice is free and even if you don't agree with me, I hope you research for yourself and find the answers which work best for you.

#16 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:35 PM

View PostChoppah, on 13 August 2016 - 06:37 PM, said:

While these posts about traps on doors are interesting, they would open you up to a whole slew of legal issues should someone not trying to break in inadvertently trigger the device (electrified door knob... what if someone brushed up a against it on accident?Posted Image ). My first thought would be firemen checking rooms even if the fire is on the other side of the building but other scenarios you didn't think of may happen. A steel door and frame with deadbolts going into two separate parts of the frame will prevent anyone from getting in for long enough time for either the cops to arrive or you to get out via the fire escape. Provided of course, the cops do come in time and escape is an option because it may not be for lot of people.

That said, should all attempts to prevent forced entry fail, a firearm, and by extension lethal force, is your last line of defense. Now I know many may frown upon the suggestion of a Steyr Aug by Mister Blastman but there are multiple reasons to use a 5.56x45 caliber rifle indoors.

First of which is the ammo is designed to tumble, meaning if you miss and the bullet strikes a wall (even 1 sheet of drywall), there is a extremely high chance the round will begin tumbling and lose a lot of its energy. This will prevent major over penetration, and should some bystander accidentally be struck by said tumbling round, they would likely not receive a deep wound if any wound at all. Secondly, the 5.56 is pretty light on recoil, along with the large sight radius and 3 points of contact (hands on grip and forend, stock against shoulder) rifle's have, will make it easy to keep on target with minimal practice.

I would recommend some self defense books by Mas Ayoob. He has been a police officer and a expert witness for self defense trials for more than two decades. Go to the library and check out whatever you can find that he authored. He even has a book called Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense that is exclusively about self defense trials and how they played out for better and for worse. You will have many doubts removed regarding self defense, and the tools used by extension, after reading it. He clearly explains the US justice system's expectations for what constitutes self defense and how it is different from manslaughter. These standards in place are very well scrutinized and usually match what would be considered morally correct IMHO. There are variations depending on the state you live in of course but it is a good general guide.

To OP (and anyone else reading) please ask me to clarify or expand upon anything in this post or SD in general if you want me to, either in this thread or as a PM. I can only imagine the terror you must face on a weekly basis. I believe no one should be denied the knowledge or the tools to defend themselves and their loved ones. My advice is free and even if you don't agree with me, I hope you research for yourself and find the answers which work best for you.

Well said. I keep mine loaded with 40 rounds of hollow point, bolt pulled back, ready to release with the safety bar on, under my bed. If someone comes into your home, you most assuredly can assume it is not for a good reason. The police will not show up in time to save you. They come after things go down, to put tape up around the crime scene and then file a report.

#17 Quinn Allard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

Move or get a gun.

#18 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:23 AM

All I can say is I'm glad i live in Norway where this sort of thing never seems to be an issue. I've never in my life felt unsafe no matter where in the country I've lived, be it in the suburbs of a small town like now or in the middle of the "bad" part of Oslo when I was younger and regularly walked past areas where heavy drug users congregated to do their thing on my way to and from work. Never got hassled, never felt threatened. Maybe being a fairly "solid" looking bearded guy with a tendency to look like I'm scowling unless I consciously make an effort not to do so helped. What do I know? Sure, I've owned guns (used to do competetive target shooting with rifles when I was younger) and I own several swords because, well, swords are nifty and cool and look good on a wall, but none of it is for defense, really. Living in the sort of places you people describe sounds... not acceptable.

Now, I'm not against guns as such, but I do think gunregulation is necessary to some extent because idiot + gun = recipe for disaster, and quite frankly my opinion of most people is that the majority couldn't handle a plastic butterknife safely, nevermind a firearm. Then again, my opinion of People in general is highly influenced by having worked in various positions in the customer service field for close to 2 decades, which does not lead to a lot of faith in your fellow man's ability to find his own arse with two hands.

#19 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:21 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 15 August 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

Now, I'm not against guns as such, but I do think gunregulation is necessary to some extent because idiot + gun = recipe for disaster

Gun control doesn't prevent idiots from buying guns anymore than a driver's license prevents idiots from driving on the road.

Gun control is a waste of time, money and energy to be honest.

#20 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 15 August 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

All I can say is I'm glad i live in Norway where this sort of thing never seems to be an issue. I've never in my life felt unsafe no matter where in the country I've lived, be it in the suburbs of a small town like now or in the middle of the "bad" part of Oslo when I was younger and regularly walked past areas where heavy drug users congregated to do their thing on my way to and from work. Never got hassled, never felt threatened. Maybe being a fairly "solid" looking bearded guy with a tendency to look like I'm scowling unless I consciously make an effort not to do so helped. What do I know? Sure, I've owned guns (used to do competetive target shooting with rifles when I was younger) and I own several swords because, well, swords are nifty and cool and look good on a wall, but none of it is for defense, really. Living in the sort of places you people describe sounds... not acceptable.

Now, I'm not against guns as such, but I do think gunregulation is necessary to some extent because idiot + gun = recipe for disaster, and quite frankly my opinion of most people is that the majority couldn't handle a plastic butterknife safely, nevermind a firearm. Then again, my opinion of People in general is highly influenced by having worked in various positions in the customer service field for close to 2 decades, which does not lead to a lot of faith in your fellow man's ability to find his own arse with two hands.

I guess you forgot about this guy...

Posted Image

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 15 August 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

And unfortunately at this point in my life I don't have a choice where I live. It is basically a bad area of Detroit... the most dangerous city in the USA and one of the most dangerous in the Western world. If I move I screw up my college stuff. If I don't move I get shot at (been shot at three times in my life). So I am now just learning how to keep my head low, and trying not to get involved in anything.

That sucks man. I hear Detroit is a scary place and Robocop is actually an accurate depiction of it. Surely there must be other writing schools you can get into?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users