• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

Hi, all!

I was ecstatic to receive a mech out of a supply cache, even happier to have it be an assault (of which I owned none at the time), and perhaps a touch disappointed to find it was a Highlander IIC-A.

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I put together a build with one LRM, two CSSRM-6, and a couple of lasers. I really didn't make good use of the streaks (I hate waiting for lock), so I tried moving to a build with two LRM-15s, two LPL, and two ERML, as well as JJ and AMS. I've generally been getting my *** handed to me, so I'm hoping to shake things up.

I considered swapping out the LRMs to CSRM6+ART, which is what I love about my TBR build, but I just don't feel like I have the mobility to pull it off (at least with my current skill level). I'm considering this build, which keeps the LRMs, even if I don't particularly enjoy using them, and swaps two of the three JJ and AMS to upgrade the ERML to LPL, for a total of 4 LPL. I've also added a TC1.

I'll have to be really careful to watch my heat, but it should give me a fairly big kick. Thoughts?

Edited by Vulcan500rider, 17 August 2016 - 07:33 AM.

#2 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:55 AM

To be honest that Highlander is the worst of the bunch in my opinion. The lack of a ballistic hard point makes it a very difficult mech to build around.

Given the limitations and heat issues I think you have one of the best possible builds, looks like decent heat management and mid range DPS. If you intend to master the chassis you will have to buy others, I've found UAC10s make a great starting point for any HGN IIC build, the chassis is weak at close range so but has ample free tonnage so you can really take advantage of 600~ish range clan weaponry: UAC10 + ERPCC/LPL + LRM5Art in varying quantities for great mid/long range firepower.

#3 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

Thanks, Brizna. I agree with you on the chassis overall; it was not on my radar as an assault to buy.

I may aim to master the chassis at some point, but it will be pretty far in the future. I still haven't mastered my TBR, which is by far my favourite and most-played chassis. I can't see dropping the cbills to master the HGN for a good while yet...

#4 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

You got a mech out of a supply cache?!? Screenshots or it didn't happen!!!

I'm kidding, congrats!

#5 Zionkan

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

Since u dont like em trash em!

HGN-IIC-A

Is a solid Build.

#6 Lynx OGrady

• PipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 39 posts
  • LocationWarhawk Cockpit

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

View PostZionkan, on 17 August 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

Since u dont like em trash em!

HGN-IIC-A

Is a solid Build.

Is that a slightly heavier Warhawk in disguise? lol

#7 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

It's fun I promise.

HGN-IIC-A

#8 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

Well, I gave the build a try last night, and it works fairly well--much better than with the ERML, anyway. It's never going to be my strongest mech, but it does decent damage and the heat is manageable, so long as I remember to leave a half second between firing each pair of LPL.

I left the LRMs in place, but have focused on using them primarily when moving between locations where I can get better shots with my LPLs (rather than standing back and LRM-boating). They do up my overall match damage, and annoy the other team, which is always nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users