How Does Pilot Skill Rating Work?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Carlieth

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • CS 2021 Participant
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

So me and a friend just finished a polar highlands where we lost. mow we both got kills and got killed yet my skill rating went up and his went down.

So how does one go up or down in rank? even though we lost the match I still went up and he didn't, he went down.

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

Here you go:
http://mwomercs.com/...-as-best-i-can/

#3 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

Means you contributed more. PSR is primarily about winning but if you've had a lot of assists and other 'extra' points then the game counts that in your favor even if you lost.

EDIT: Ah the link above does wonders~

Edited by Zoeff, 18 August 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#4 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:36 AM

It just keeps going up and up and up. You can't stop it. Nobody can. Some claim they've done so, and I don't believe them. The exp gain rate is constant.

#5 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostCarlieth, on 18 August 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

So how does one go up or down in rank? even though we lost the match I still went up and he didn't, he went down.

Posted Image

#6 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 18 August 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

It just keeps going up and up and up. You can't stop it. Nobody can. Some claim they've done so, and I don't believe them. The exp gain rate is constant.

I've been at about the quarter mark of tier 2 for months. I don't see that changing in the near future unless something drastic changes in either the PSR system or gameplay mechanics.

#7 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostBilbo, on 18 August 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

I've been at about the quarter mark of tier 2 for months. I don't see that changing in the near future unless something drastic changes in either the PSR system or gameplay mechanics.

I've been actively trying to stop my PSR rise by running stock Clan mechs. I've been doing terrible in my matches. But it's still rising. It's horrible.

#8 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Damage mostly

Then it will take things into consideration like UAV spotting, scouting, assists, kills etc the PSR xp bar works in conjunction with your match score

#9 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 18 August 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

I've been actively trying to stop my PSR rise by running stock Clan mechs. I've been doing terrible in my matches. But it's still rising. It's horrible.

All I can say is you are better at doing what you are doing than I am at doing what I am doing. I know exactly what it is I need to do to get the bar moving again. The style of play required bores the hell out of me, though.

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 18 August 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

That's exactly why it is the way it is. To stop players from gaming the system like you just said you do openly.

MechWarrior PSR is the best in the game industry to the point it nears perfection and cannot be improved any more. :)

The only ones crying are the ones that want to dethreat and beat up noobs. Guess what? Its only going to get tougher for the noob abusers.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 August 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#11 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 18 August 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

That's exactly why it is the way it is. To stop players from gaming the system like you just said you do openly.

MechWarrior PSR is the best in the game industry to the point it nears perfection and cannot be improved any more. Posted Image

The only ones crying are the ones that want to dethreat and beat up noobs. Guess what? Its only going to get tougher for the noob abusers.

Because apparently, I'm just that good? No, I'm terrible at the game. Even when I'm going full tryhard I'm still a terrible player. The reason I'm trying to stop my PSR rise is because it's not fun to try and go out in a fun mech loadout and get turned into paste instantly by people who have been (consistently) playing longer than me before I can blink. And I'm at the point where that happens right now, yet my PSR is still rising. If it's a crime to not want to have to face only meta loadouts all day, then I'll be retreating to international waters, because I'm guilty of that, and that only.

#12 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

How PSR works? Dodgily, secretly, and not at all like most players seem to want it to.

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 18 August 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Because apparently, I'm just that good? No, I'm terrible at the game. Even when I'm going full tryhard I'm still a terrible player. The reason I'm trying to stop my PSR rise is because it's not fun to try and go out in a fun mech loadout and get turned into paste instantly by people who have been (consistently) playing longer than me before I can blink. And I'm at the point where that happens right now, yet my PSR is still rising. If it's a crime to not want to have to face only meta loadouts all day, then I'll be retreating to international waters, because I'm guilty of that, and that only.

I don't use meta mechs either.

At the moment any match make can only do so much depending on how many players are on. At the moment your playing with players similar to yourself taking that into consideration. Win some lose some I guess, maybe do good in one match and not another.

If your on a losing streak like I have had a few times then take a break. I think matches are fixed sometimes so that's something to think about also. No matter what its a hobby and while that's awesome its nothing to get to upset about.

If your in group queue don't expect much because there isn't much that can be done with that when it comes to matching players skill.

Eventually this game may have PVE similar to world of warships which is a great way to play when starting out. Maybe even adventures with story to go on, which would be awesome.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 August 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#14 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

PSR is just an XP bar, that determines if you go up or down, based on how much damage you do and if you win or not.

That being said, do enough damage (by being a sloppy gunner [read DPS builds that have little kill power per shot]) and you will go up on a loss.

#15 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:20 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 18 August 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

I don't use meta mechs either.

At the moment any match make can only do so much depending on how many players are on. At the moment your playing with players similar to yourself taking that into consideration. Win some lose some I guess, maybe do good in one match and not another.

If your on a losing streak like I have had a few times then take a break. I think matches are fixed sometimes so that's something to think about also. No matter what its a hobby and while that's awesome its nothing to get to upset about.

If your in group queue don't expect much because there isn't much that can be done with that when it comes to matching players skill.

Eventually this game may have PVE similar to world of warships which is a great way to play when starting out. Maybe even adventures with story to go on, which would be awesome.

In general, I think I'm on the road to starting to hate all PvP games. If a game has both a PvP and PvE mode, I'll almost always go for the PvE mode. I've been a adamant supporter of PvE in MW:O since it was floated, and I'll keep campaigning for it.

Also, easiest way to raise PSR: Be an LRM Warhawk to farm damage.

#16 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 18 August 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

In general, I think I'm on the road to starting to hate all PvP games. If a game has both a PvP and PvE mode, I'll almost always go for the PvE mode. I've been a adamant supporter of PvE in MW:O since it was floated, and I'll keep campaigning for it.

Also, easiest way to raise PSR: Be an LRM Warhawk to farm damage.

Many don't like pvp. I don't consider it pvp any more than chess or sports though. I actually don't like the word pvp because its like saying pvp soccer or pvp tennis. :)

Anyway the idea of PVE sounds good to me and of course some kind of adventure or expedition like what might be read in a book or seen in a movie sounds good to.

For me the atmosphere of a game is what its all about. This game has a long way to go to have any of that. Gameplay is the best though.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 August 2016 - 02:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users