• 1,609 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

What is the point of this thread....?

#122 GaussDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

I'm hoping they stick to MP (which this thing is 99% about) and don't opt for a single player (if, by chance, they were even considering it). The sooner this game comes out, the sooner these /popcorn threads can spill over into the game and we can settle our differences via good old fashioned pewpew.

#123 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

I saw "vaporware" and immediately groaned. You are absolutely right, the game isn't actually getting made, this is an elaborate April Fool's joke by some high schoolers who have nothing better to do with their time. :P

For Zeus's sake, mods, re-lock this thread. Naysayers with an inflated sense of entitlement do NOT belong in our community.

#124 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

I actually found the OP's position to be really funny, especially considering who is doing MWO and their most recent release..vaporware indeed..from the folks who got, created, and released one of the longest running vaporware myths..Duke Nukem Forever. Sorry...just made me laugh to see someone try and go there...really...funny stuff!

Let me see..ok..less then 1 month ago, PGI and CryTek announced that PGI was going to use the CryTek3 Engine for MWO, which was about 2 weeks AFTER PGI opened this website, which is when PGI announced it was officially making MWO.

So..to recap..we are less then a MONTH into the actual game development cycle and people want screenshots and videos? Oh..yes, I'm fully aware that PGI tried to field this project TWO years ago, I'm also aware that all of their previous attempts to get funding and a publisher failed, so they've not actively been working on MWO for 2 years..they've been doing it for a few MONTHS now, since after the release of DNF. And since they only finalized the engine they'll be using 3 weeks ago, I really, REALLY doubt they have a lot of pretty screenshots and videos they can give us. I'm rather surprised they've got, evidently, a working alpha to test 1v1 with, pretty impressive really, takes me longer then that to BUILD a base model that's fully animated..but we don't know they have that either, could be pretty basic ugly models that have simple animations..*shrug*..who knows, but something tells me, it ain't for public release :P

Yeah..vaporware indeed..from the folks who turned one of the great myths of vaporware into reality..in a very short time frame after getting it I might add! You are ONE funny mother's son!

#125 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

View PostJohn Clavell, on 10 December 2011 - 02:49 PM, said:

What is the point of this thread....?

#126 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

So there is a bit more in the open arena about this "game" now, however we have still yet to see anything that resembles "In Game footage", this could be as simple as menu designs, animations, even the star map implementation.

All we have seen is conceptual ideas, and artwork the development team has well publicised a release time frame for next summer, so where is the work in progress as currently to the community the project is vaporware.
The Mechwarrior/Battletech community has had the rug pulled from underneath it too many times to count and many are rightfully skeptical.

So Pirahna what have you actually accomplished with MWO so far, anything or nothing?
When can we actually expect to see something of substance?

The game isn't ready to show footage yet. It takes time to make things. Try it sometime.

#127 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

View Postverybad, on 10 December 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

The game isn't ready to show footage yet. It takes time to make things. Try it sometime.

I accept that i work in a job role where time and patience are at the very heart of it, but if the game doesn't have even 1 model to show off by now, then can we really expect it to hit its own deadline? Or be the game it should be in such a short time scale?

#128 Zevious

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Eesh! don't quite know how to take this thread..
This guy obviously didn't grasp that he does not speak for whatever community exists here

so where is the work in progress as currently to the community the project is vaporware.

If for any reason someone at Piranha Games feels that it warrents a response, im sure they would,
but im sure they would rather people not posting flame in response to this topic though.

Btw Haeso, I much agree to your second post.

#129 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 10 December 2011 - 05:01 PM, said:

I accept that i work in a job role where time and patience are at the very heart of it, but if the game doesn't have even 1 model to show off by now, then can we really expect it to hit its own deadline? Or be the game it should be in such a short time scale?

Your very genuine concern for the Dev team and their apparent issues is nice and all but it is still unclear what it is you want? A Model, a 3 second animated movie? And to what end. What if they did show 1 model? Then what. Would you be satisfied and leave it alone or simply wait 2 days and start up all over again?

Again, what is to be gained by this whole thing? I can't find the point of it yet and we are 7 pages in.

#130 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

We, as a community, can put the brakes on this thread right now. It came from no where and it's going no where, so why keep feeding it. <Salute>

#131 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 10 December 2011 - 05:28 PM, said:

Your very genuine concern for the Dev team and their apparent issues is nice and all but it is still unclear what it is you want? A Model, a 3 second animated movie? And to what end. What if they did show 1 model? Then what. Would you be satisfied and leave it alone or simply wait 2 days and start up all over again?

Again, what is to be gained by this whole thing? I can't find the point of it yet and we are 7 pages in.

Something, anything that actually represents in game stuff, doesn't matter if it is a model,an animation, a frapsed video. something that shows A) Where the development is at,, B ) Where they are going with their take on the universe, C) to give the community something to talk about constructivly that doesn't require the 1000th Poll thread.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 December 2011 - 05:45 PM.

#132 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

View PostS3dition, on 10 December 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

We, as a community, can put the brakes on this thread right now. It came from no where and it's going no where, so why keep feeding it. <Salute>

This thred is a troll orgy breeding ground. It will happen when it happns. Hell, we all waited this long for even a mention of a new game. i think we can wait a little longer for somthing of substance.

#133 Cr0wb4r

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostMchawkeye, on 10 December 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

Worrying use of past tense there....

Meh, you are reading to much into that :P I plan to stick around if that is what you mean. And I expect this game to take off as well (at very least hope.)

#134 Glory in the Highest

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

TL;DR

let's all start a gang war against the devs because petulant demands worked for us as children

Edited by glory, 10 December 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#135 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Read this, and then come back and tell me if you still think that this is vaporware. I am waiting with baited breath to destroy you in-game so many times it hurts. You insult me. Unbelievable. We should all shun this unkknowing waste of skin.

http://www.montrealg...0965/story.html

Grown professional men are beyond your thoughts and you have wasted enough time.

#136 idle crow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

View PostS3dition, on 10 December 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

I disagree. It's a valid question and a lot of people been considering asking it for some time including myself.

I want to see some in game footage. The idea this game will be out in Summer 2012 with zero in game shown to date is hard to believe on faith.

#137 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

View Postidle^crow, on 10 December 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

I disagree. It's a valid question and a lot of people been considering asking it for some time including myself.

I want to see some in game footage. The idea this game will be out in Summer 2012 with zero in game shown to date is hard to believe on faith.

Then don't. Leave, and never come back. There are plenty of us here who want to build a community and support the game. We don't need people like you who do nothing but tear it down.

#138 GrayPanther

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

I think the golden question is more like can we please see say 30 seconds of combat footage from this i'm guessing alfa build :P

That would shut everyone up about vaporware or the fact that they may or may not have bit off more then they can chew for a 7 to 9 month dev cycle.

#139 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

I want them announce content when it's ready and release the game when it's finished. PGI has a proven track record of released games, and they have published announcements when they promised they would. I see absolutely no reason to start a witch hunt because one person feels they are more entitled than the people who are actually making the game.

#140 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

The simple answer here is "not".

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users