Add A Small Indictator For The Energy Draw Penalty

12 replies to this topic

#1 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

Hey, I thought it might help players better visualize the Energy Draw Heat Penalty if there was some sort of indicator that showed you how much heat it added to your bar.

It could be something as simple as a little yellow arrow on the right side:

Posted Image

Another possibility is to make the color of the heat bar a slightly different shade for the part that represents the heat penalty.

#2 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

View PostJman5, on 18 August 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Hey, I thought it might help players better visualize the Energy Draw Heat Penalty if there was some sort of indicator that showed you how much heat it added to your bar.

It could be something as simple as a little yellow arrow on the right side:

Posted Image

Another possibility is to make the color of the heat bar a slightly different shade for the part that represents the heat penalty.

Or, make it yellow back and draw (for a second or so) penalty heat in read.
Posted Image

#3 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

I'd vote for this. Very helpful visual to have.

#4 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 18 August 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yup, I would be happy with that too. Just something so players can see the effect of the energy draw penalty at a glance. When I was playing with my warhawk, I knew I was going over because of that helpful sound effect, but it was hard to tell if it was by a lot or a little.

Edited by Jman5, 18 August 2016 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Queen of England

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 08:29 PM

This seems like a pretty good idea.

#6 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

Another design that's similar to pyro's design but more minimalistic would just be a yellow line like this:

Posted Image

I would also like to point out that in off chance PGI decides to dump energy draw system and go back to ghost-heat this is something you could implement there as well.

#7 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,631 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

Just to post this in a related thread to kinda spread the idea around, the graphic that indicates whether you are overdrawn or within safe limits of energy is waaaaay too unnoticeable. It is tiny and at the bottom of the HUD which doesn't really help with knowing just how overdrawn you are.

Per the other thread I posted this, we need better HUD indicators not just for this but for other things like incoming missiles and critical damage to both convey all meaning data without hoping the right HUD text appears since it has a 2 message limit. Ideally these HUD indicators would go in the same area as the text, they would just have translucent icons that could appear and change color depending on the situation and can be recognized faster than text and conserve space.

#8 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 August 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

Just to post this in a related thread to kinda spread the idea around, the graphic that indicates whether you are overdrawn or within safe limits of energy is waaaaay too unnoticeable. It is tiny and at the bottom of the HUD which doesn't really help with knowing just how overdrawn you are.

Per the other thread I posted this, we need better HUD indicators not just for this but for other things like incoming missiles and critical damage to both convey all meaning data without hoping the right HUD text appears since it has a 2 message limit. Ideally these HUD indicators would go in the same area as the text, they would just have translucent icons that could appear and change color depending on the situation and can be recognized faster than text and conserve space.

I agree with this immensely. I created another thread that mentions one of the greatest problems with the new system over the old one is unpredictability. Since the game doesn't explicitely define for you what will and will not cause a heat penalty in any predictable fashion, you're left to manage the rapidly fluctuating energy drawn bar entirely on the fly... trying to keep tabs of this or that weapons group with wildly different draw requirements, double taps, etc. The lack of predictability is a problem, as it makes the heat penalties seem more random than they should be.

Merely moving the energy draw gauge to the center of the HUD where you can always see it would virtually eliminate this issue. You'd be able to see, at all times, exactly where your energy state is, and this goes a long way to making it a more controllable system in heavy combat. As important as this new gauge is... arguably the most important HUD element aside from the reticle itself... it shouldn't be buried at the bottom of the HUD amongst less important info.

#9 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,631 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 19 August 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

Merely moving the energy draw gauge to the center of the HUD where you can always see it would virtually eliminate this issue.

Being by the reticle makes it potentially harder to see what you need to, the bar is fine as it is, the sound does a good job of indicating the when, I just want a better indication as to how much which a colored icon somewhere near where the warning messages would do just fine.

#10 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

Great idea! Personally I would like to see a number displayed for just a few seconds to the right of the heat bar but any indication would be welcome.

#11 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:42 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 18 August 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

This UI Heat Bar design is what it should be, if it gets implemented. Penalty heat on top of regular heat.
*Energy draw bar is not needed. It jumps so fast, it's useless.

#12 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:08 AM

- Also it would be cool if ED bar have also some visual changes.
- Full. 30.
- Depleted. 0
- Over depleted. -15
Posted Image

#13 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

Lets do this version and vote on it. Any response?

Edited by Strelok7, 25 August 2016 - 03:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users