63 replies to this topic

#41 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

In a phrase, the system is just dialed low to start. With all the good, critical feedback coming from players, I wouldn't worry. Just keep critiquing.

#42 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 19 August 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

With all the good, critical feedback coming from players, I wouldn't worry.

But... I always worry!

#43 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 19 August 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Anyone test b33f's direstar out ? I believe pre-ghost heat he got 3 shots before he went boom.

can't remember if its a 6 or 8 erppc build his direstar, if its 6 yup I tested it and you can fire one alpha and not shut down, two shuts your down for a few seconds in canyon

I can't remember how many alpha's I did to make myself boom but it was more than 3 fir sure

#44 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostCathy, on 19 August 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

can't remember if its a 6 or 8 erppc build his direstar, if its 6 yup I tested it and you can fire one alpha and not shut down, two shuts your down for a few seconds in canyon

I can't remember how many alpha's I did to make myself boom but it was more than 3 fir sure

It's not 6, it was 9 to 11, just go rewatch his videos on the Dire Star and Giga Drill Dire (ERLL instead of ERPPC).

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 19 August 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#45 IVIr Fallout

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

Is this test a joke? I mean really the test enviroment is so far off from the game enviroment any data they can pull from this is about useless. I do test on multimillion dollar machines an if we tested them so far off base like this we would lose our jobs. I know this is a public test but come on it needs to be a closer representation of the actual game play to get any good data. This test should have stayed in house an advanced a few stages b4 it went into live test.

#46 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:35 PM

1. Slow down the Energy bar regen rate.
2. Increase extra heat generated by going over draw to at least 1:1

Two number tweaks, fixed.

#47 R 13

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

Or.....if we're saying, with this new model, that 30 energy is the most that a mech can generate, and 3 PPCs "draw" 30 energy to fire....then shouldn't anything else we try to fire just.not.fire???

Car needs XX number of amps to spin the starter....battery doesn't generate that many amps for some reason: car doesn't start.

Need 4 D batteries for boombox to work, only have 3....boombox doesn't work at all.

Not sure it's the right solution, but I'd be morbidly curious what it would feel like if they made it a hard-cap with respect to simultaneous triggering.

#48 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

View PostR 13, on 19 August 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Or.....if we're saying, with this new model, that 30 energy is the most that a mech can generate, and 3 PPCs "draw" 30 energy to fire....then shouldn't anything else we try to fire just.not.fire???

The made-up reasoning behind it is that the reactor goes to overdrive to supply the additional energy, hence the appearance of ghost heat v.2.

#49 Mordent Hex

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:16 PM

agreed, there should be a cap on how many of a weapon can be fired at one time. I mean if yoru going to do that to the guass rifles why not make it universal? Why nerf guass only in that way? The old rule of thumb for max weapons before incurring ghost heat would work in this fashion and kind of set up. Example: can only fire two ppc's at one time, can only fire 3 LPL(IS) at one time, can only fire 3 to 4 srms at one time. I think THAT would curb the alpha stomp, this currently isn't working.

#50 R 13

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 19 August 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

The made-up reasoning behind it is that the reactor goes to overdrive to supply the additional energy, hence the appearance of ghost heat v.2.

Right, I'll withhold my thoughts on that to remain constructive. A hard-cap would fix the issue of these super-high alpha builds being viable (again).

#51 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostFunkin Disher, on 19 August 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

1. Slow down the Energy bar regen rate.
2. Increase extra heat generated by going over draw to at least 1:1

Two number tweaks, fixed.

That would make the system worse then it is now, so no thanx.

#52 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostR 13, on 19 August 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Car needs XX number of amps to spin the starter....battery doesn't generate that many amps for some reason: car doesn't start.

Need 4 D batteries for boombox to work, only have 3....boombox doesn't work at all.

Not sure it's the right solution, but I'd be morbidly curious what it would feel like if they made it a hard-cap with respect to simultaneous triggering.

I think (up to) catastrophic effects occurring when you exceed the threshold sounds a lot more fun.

#53 Syanis

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSE Asia

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

What should happen is the first say 5 points over has the .5 heat penalty but every point over has a much larger penalty of maybe 3 heat per point.

#54 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 19 August 2016 - 08:21 AM, said:

Anyone test b33f's direstar out ? I believe pre-ghost heat he got 3 shots before he went boom.

9 blows up instantly as others have said, but the shot does fire

On river city, 4 alphas of 8 cERPPCs in 1m 30s before the mech went boom firing with max impatience (right at powerup at 90% heat). More alphas possible if one chooses to cool off.

#55 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

View PostYellonet, on 19 August 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

From what I've seen and what I've tested myself in the current implementation we can use larger alphas than before and get away with it, quite the opposite to the goal of this mechanic.

On River city test map: Mauler 1P with 4xERPPC and 20 DH, fire all 4 in the current game build and you get above 100% heat and shut down. Same build on the PTS, if you alpha you only go to 69% heat.

Surely this can't be intended?

in life you can get away with a 98 pinpoint mid to long range alpha without overheat...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ebb44355fee17a8

you dont even get a penalty for doing so...

#56 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:07 AM

View PostBoldar, on 19 August 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

I think the recovery rate of 20 might be too high.

With the increased cooldowns maybe 15 recovery per second or maybe even 10 would be better.

Then you can pull the trigger for an alpha that uses 100 energy and it would take longer than the weapon cooldown to be able to fire again. Except you override, of course...

iv goet builds on the pts that out dps the recovery rate, the system is to stop repeated high alpha strikes not to cap dps (do it already douse that fore some builds)

#57 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:12 AM

View PostR31Nismoid, on 19 August 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

So you could get a 5 LPL Alpha in the current system without penalty?

Ok then.

To be able to alpha 5 LPL will mean two pilots working together can effectively kill any mech in the battlefield. TTK has essentially been massively reduced because of it.

And don't trot out the "hitscan" rubbish of lasers. To a pilot that has not seen the enemy, you'll be dead before he even realises he has been shot even with assault levels of armour/structure with even a half decent shot and keeping 80% of the laser on target.

DPS means nothing if you kill the mech you are shooting at in 1 second as DPS is no longer relevant the higher the alpha.

curent meta laser builds have alphas above 50... without penalty

#58 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:35 AM

View PostL3mming2, on 22 August 2016 - 12:12 AM, said:

curent meta laser builds have alphas above 50... without penalty

It does make one wonder about some feedback here.

#59 Lehmund

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

View PostZnail, on 19 August 2016 - 06:24 AM, said:

They even mention this in the article, so it's hardly unintended. Higher alphas will be possible, but with a penalty to the sustained dps. But this system is on the other hand more restricted in that you can't get around it by mixing diffrent ghost heat groups. You could get some seriously large alphas in the old system without any penalty at all, when now you will face a penalty no matter what if you go above the limit.

Personally so do I think we will see a general reduction in alpha damage with the new system.

Let's do some easy math here:

Old GH system:
Ebon Jag with 2 LPL, 6 MPL = 68 pinpoint damage and 56 heat Alpha (no ghost heat). 8 hardpoints + 18 tons used (ignoring heat sinks). You can roughly fire twice without shutting down on a heat neutral map. No ghost heat.

New ** system:
Ebon Jag with 4 LL + 4 SL = 64 pinpoint damage and 52 heat Alpha + 17 extra heat = 69 Heat. 8 hardpoints used + 18 tons (ignoring heat sinks). You can't fire a second time without overheat.

So you can do lots more damage at a longer range it seems, at the expense of higher heat.

In the example mentioned above of 4 ERPPCs fire simultaneously instead of at a 0.5 sec interval, you'll get be able to fire all simultaneously at the cost of extra heat,but you're still penalized.

IMO, the system, with the proper tweaks in numbers can help the game.

However, a much better, neater idea that should be seriously considered is this: http://mwomercs.com/...ro-convergence/

#60 Wibble in a Clan can

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:14 AM

OMG

This system lets you fire 7LPL and a sh*%t a dropbear without penalty!

Quick everyone panic!!!!!

FFS- at leas read the power draw document (if not you know, actually play the PTS) before commenting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users