16 replies to this topic

#1 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:14 AM

Energy Draw is far less punishing than Ghost Heat.

There's a lot of fear that if you drop past zero energy you'll suffer massive heat penalties. This isn't the case. You can freely over draw your reactor, and simply suffer a minor heat penalty no matter which weapons you're using without it being an issue, as long as you don't keep doing it.

Energy Draw is "playable".

Because the penalty heat scales up gradually, it's easy to "ride" the line, bursting harder when you want, then backing off, without sudden heat spikes. What happens with Ghost Heat is if you exceed certain weapon counts (or fire a second group slightly too fast) you get a massive heat penalty. That doesn't happen under energy draw. If you do break the limit slightly, penalty heat is so minor as to be irrelevant - it's still extra heat, so it hurts sustained DPS, but a 40 point alpha is still only +5 heat, which on a 75 heat cap mech is less than 7%.

As such, a Laser Vomit build can be quite effective choosing to fire a second volley quite quickly. This makes a 12 ERSL Nova, for example, a lot safer to play under Energy Draw than Ghost Heat: Firing that second group of lasers a fraction of a second early isn't an instant shutdown.

Changes I recommend:
  • Lasers should be reduced to .9 due to their DOT nature.
  • SRM's should be further reduced to .5 due to their strictly limited range and high, but spread damage.
  • As per Quicksilver's post below, we need a better visual indication of how much you're exceeding power draw by. A front and center HUD icon showing at least minor/major overdraw would be very helpful: say yellow/orange/red icon below the crosshairs, so you immediately see that you're breaking it and by how much, without taking your eyes off your target.
  • Not immediately, but it may well be decided that the over draw -> heat conversion needs to be more punishing; 0.5 per point is very minor.

Some things to consider:
  • On live, a dual gauss/dual ERPPC Direwolf fires 50 point alphas for 30 heat. With Energy Draw, those 50 point PPFLD hits cost 40 heat.
  • On live, firing 3 PPC's is crippling, despite it only being 30 damage. Yet firing 2 PPC and an AC10 is fine. Energy draw allows any combination without penalty, so mechs aren't penalized for having the wrong combination of hardpoints.
  • You can choose to fire, for example, a 40 point alpha from a Firebrand with 2 AC10 and 2 PPC for 30 heat, a 5 point penalty. This is a bit warmer than live, but it spreads the fairness around, as say a Battlemaster can drop a 40 point PPC alpha for (ignoring quirk heat reduction) 43 heat (and ofc with better synergy)
  • Large Laser usage is pretty free: If you want to snipe, you can fire groups of them and eat minor heat penalties - firing 4 Large Lasers for 36 damage generates only 3 bonus heat; for a total of 31 heat. ER Large Lasers? 4 IS ERLL push 36 damage for 35 heat, or fire 2 then two more a fraction of a second later for just 32 heat.
  • UAC's have a refire delay when doubletapping of 0.5s. This means you'll always recoup 10 energy before a doubletap - dual UAC10's, then, will use 20 energy, recoup 10, then 20 more for 30 total. So firing a pair of UAC10's is still perfectly safe. Firing other weapons during that half a second will incur additional heat, but it's sort of the goal of the system to space things out: Fire more than that and you burst harder at the cost of efficiency, or spread it out a little bit and you get higher DPS. A dual UAC10 burst is a perfectly legit hit, though; that's still 40 damage in less than a second.

Edited by Wintersdark, 19 August 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, I'm also of the camp that the mechanics are salvageable but a lot of XML values need to be adjusted up or down.

#3 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,637 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

Can I add to this review with a simple UI suggestion? The warning that details how much you broke power draw is pretty worthless, it is too small and at the far bottom of the screen meaning I'm not going to notice it. The sound when you firing while overdrawn is probably the most useful thing for this.

Maybe test placing a translucent icon somewhere near the compass or where warnings are put would help out. Honestly, a lot of the warnings could and should be redone to use icons instead of text because icons are quicker to process than text which also allows you to bypass the "only two message" limit that warning seem to have.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 19 August 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#4 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 August 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

Can I add to this review with a simple UI suggestion? The warning that details how much you broke power draw is pretty worthless, it is too small and at the far bottom of the screen meaning I'm not going to notice it. The sound when you firing while overdrawn is probably the most useful thing for this.

Maybe test placing a translucent icon somewhere near the compass or where warnings are put would help out. Honestly, a lot of the warnings could and should be redone to use icons instead of text because icons are quicker to process than text which also allows you to bypass the "only two message" limit that warning seem to have.

Yes, I'll adjust my OP for this. We definitely need a better way of indicating how for overdrawn you are.

#5 Vincent Quatermain

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 August 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Yes, I'll adjust my OP for this. We definitely need a better way of indicating how for overdrawn you are.

How about changing the color of the entire energy bar and the frame around it? Have it be a green bar until you go below -30 Energy, then the whole thing turns yellow. When you go below -60, it turns orange. When you go below -90, it turns red. At -120, boom! Keep the energy draw sounds. As energy refreshes, the colors change back.

#6 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:45 PM

View PostVincent Quatermain, on 19 August 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

How about changing the color of the entire energy bar and the frame around it? Have it be a green bar until you go below -30 Energy, then the whole thing turns yellow. When you go below -60, it turns orange. When you go below -90, it turns red. At -120, boom! Keep the energy draw sounds. As energy refreshes, the colors change back.
That would work, but I like Quicksilver's HUD icon more; easier to track in combat.

#7 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

so does this finally do away with Ghost Heat? I keep looking around trying to find actual discussion or info on that

#8 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,637 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

View PostBellum Dominum, on 19 August 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

so does this finally do away with Ghost Heat? I keep looking around trying to find actual discussion or info on that

Yes

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

I wouldn't say that it "does away" with Ghost Heat.

Ghost Power just takes Ghost Heat and links together almost every weapon into the same cap.

#10 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

Yes, this fully replaces ghost heat. It is, in essence, Ghost Heat 2.0.

#11 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostFupDup, on 19 August 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

I wouldn't say that it "does away" with Ghost Heat.

Ghost Power just takes Ghost Heat and links together almost every weapon into the same cap.

Yeah I get that I just wanted to make sure this system wasn't ON TOP of the ghost heat nonsense.

#12 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 19 August 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

Energy Draw is far less punishing than Ghost Heat.

There's a lot of fear that if you drop past zero energy you'll suffer massive heat penalties. This isn't the case. You can freely over draw your reactor, and simply suffer a minor heat penalty no matter which weapons you're using without it being an issue, as long as you don't keep doing it.

Energy Draw is "playable".

Because the penalty heat scales up gradually, it's easy to "ride" the line, bursting harder when you want, then backing off, without sudden heat spikes. What happens with Ghost Heat is if you exceed certain weapon counts (or fire a second group slightly too fast) you get a massive heat penalty. That doesn't happen under energy draw. If you do break the limit slightly, penalty heat is so minor as to be irrelevant - it's still extra heat, so it hurts sustained DPS, but a 40 point alpha is still only +5 heat, which on a 75 heat cap mech is less than 7%.

As such, a Laser Vomit build can be quite effective choosing to fire a second volley quite quickly. This makes a 12 ERSL Nova, for example, a lot safer to play under Energy Draw than Ghost Heat: Firing that second group of lasers a fraction of a second early isn't an instant shutdown.

Changes I recommend:
  • Lasers should be reduced to .9 due to their DOT nature.
  • SRM's should be further reduced to .5 due to their strictly limited range and high, but spread damage.
  • As per Quicksilver's post below, we need a better visual indication of how much you're exceeding power draw by. A front and center HUD icon showing at least minor/major overdraw would be very helpful: say yellow/orange/red icon below the crosshairs, so you immediately see that you're breaking it and by how much, without taking your eyes off your target.
  • Not immediately, but it may well be decided that the over draw -> heat conversion needs to be more punishing; 0.5 per point is very minor.

Some things to consider:
  • On live, a dual gauss/dual ERPPC Direwolf fires 50 point alphas for 30 heat. With Energy Draw, those 50 point PPFLD hits cost 40 heat.
  • On live, firing 3 PPC's is crippling, despite it only being 30 damage. Yet firing 2 PPC and an AC10 is fine. Energy draw allows any combination without penalty, so mechs aren't penalized for having the wrong combination of hardpoints.
  • You can choose to fire, for example, a 40 point alpha from a Firebrand with 2 AC10 and 2 PPC for 30 heat, a 5 point penalty. This is a bit warmer than live, but it spreads the fairness around, as say a Battlemaster can drop a 40 point PPC alpha for (ignoring quirk heat reduction) 43 heat (and ofc with better synergy)
  • Large Laser usage is pretty free: If you want to snipe, you can fire groups of them and eat minor heat penalties - firing 4 Large Lasers for 36 damage generates only 3 bonus heat; for a total of 31 heat. ER Large Lasers? 4 IS ERLL push 36 damage for 35 heat, or fire 2 then two more a fraction of a second later for just 32 heat.
  • UAC's have a refire delay when doubletapping of 0.5s. This means you'll always recoup 10 energy before a doubletap - dual UAC10's, then, will use 20 energy, recoup 10, then 20 more for 30 total. So firing a pair of UAC10's is still perfectly safe. Firing other weapons during that half a second will incur additional heat, but it's sort of the goal of the system to space things out: Fire more than that and you burst harder at the cost of efficiency, or spread it out a little bit and you get higher DPS. A dual UAC10 burst is a perfectly legit hit, though; that's still 40 damage in less than a second.

THIS is what feedback should look like.

#13 Kalleballe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

The yellow power draw indicator:

-since this is intended to overdraw, compress it by 50% so centre = no penalty
-make it not go back during laser/C-lrm/C-uac discharge.
-since you removed the "sizzling" sound when going over 80% heat, use that sound to indicate varying levels of overdraw.

Liking it so far

#14 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 August 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

PGI should really start looking into implementing movable and configurable HUD elements so players can rearrange, color, and visualize their HUD however they please. While they're at it, they should start looking into supporting secondary displays (e.g. extra monitors, tables, etc.).

Edited by Mystere, 19 August 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#15 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,637 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

View PostMystere, on 19 August 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

PGI should really start looking into implementing movable and configurable HUD elements so players can rearrange, color, and visualize their HUD however they please. While they're at it, they should start looking into supporting secondary displays (e.g. extra monitors, tables, etc.).

Honestly the secondary displays would be cool but ultimately a waste of development time imo. The configurable HUD though should absolutely be a thing in this day and age of gaming, especially if they aren't going to sell us different HUD styles.

#16 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

Agreed esp on SRM draw.
I could see lasers being reduced in draw also.

#17 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 19 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

Definitely need to iterate.

I'd like to see two things:
1: Slower bar regeneration
2: more heat for exceeding draw

1 user(s) are reading this topic