• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

View PostAngrySpartan, on 22 August 2016 - 02:25 PM, said:

One idea you suggested here I can't forget:

This looks very promising, maybe a natural way to balance hitscan weapons. Though than you can fire 3 (C)ERLLs almost constantly as your draw will be offset by regeneration through the burn time. Still looks very interesting.
Yeah. I honestly haven't put much thought into it. It seems logical, but as you said there are some apparent issues with it out of the gate, particularly how it would largely bypass the whole lower the alpha aim. You could throw strong last alphas, so if you went to per tick costing, your probably have to increase draw for lasers as well.

It definitely requires more thought, but as apparently they're looking at another pts soon, I'm not too eager to dig into something that complex when I don't know what's all about to change.

#42 Arkroma

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

I am not entirely sold on "make the penalty 1:1 instead of 1:0.5"----because as you said, the sell point about ED is that it's about making choices. Perhaps the energy cap should be lowered (a bit?) and give everyone the right impression that alpha=penalty--a small one which is okay to take.

Otherwise I agree these are the right directions.

View PostWintersdark, on 22 August 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Sadly, a great many players and would be testers either have an agenda they seek to prove/disprove and will see results as suits them, or have an insufficient understanding of the underlying game systems to accurately apply what they see and experience to a 12v12 situation.

This. Players who wants to keep their big alpha, players that don't understand ED is not about punishment but a choice---they almost make it looks like the community hates ED system.

View PostWintersdark, on 22 August 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

that pts pops make 12v12 difficult, (to impossible) but it also makes the tests quite flawed as it's easy to draw incorrect conclusions.

PGI could make PTS an event related thing or at least give some compensations out. E.g. you get some Cbills(on your live server) if you played enough games on PTS, or a special title/decoration, you know, something alone the line.

#43 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

View PostArkroma, on 22 August 2016 - 05:31 PM, said:

This. Players who wants to keep their big alpha, players that don't understand ED is not about punishment but a choice---they almost make it looks like the community hates ED system.

- Some of critics don't even play on PTS, making decision based on video.

- But take a battle on chosen FW maps in Private Lobby 4vs4 was fun. I never think that Dragon-Flame can be so useful.with its 34 firepower and STD engine.

Edited by Tiantara, 22 August 2016 - 05:38 PM.

#44 Arkroma

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

I know right? I had so much fun bringing out mechs that was collecting dust for a spin, that when I go back playing the event with a laser vomit HBK, I ended up hating myself.

If PGI handed out compensations for PTS I'd spend the entire weekend on PTS no problem.

Back on topic, I just read Alistair Winter's idea about reducing boating, I think ED system can help with that by increasing draw for long range weapons even more, rather than reducing draw for short range weapons (as Wintersdard suggested), because we still have so many hard-point-starved mechs that can't even fill up 35 points of Alpha with medium lasers. My poor Jester come to mind which has 6 E total. I'm not saying I want to dig a well in one swing, but it could even the odds for those mechs a little bit.

#45 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

Oh, yay! Pretty much this for PTS2. I'm very happy with that =)

#46 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

Will have to see how much in-match tactical choice remains with the significantly more punishing values.

Wish my arms worked well enough to test more... Posted Image

#47 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:09 AM

RIP Direwolf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users