Is Vs Clan A Statistical Approach: Aka Locusts Are Op, But...

Balance

85 replies to this topic

#81 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 16 October 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

I don't think you can extract an actual 'best mech' comparison between Clan Tech and Inner Sphere tech because MWO doesn't score for accuracy. It scores for Damage. Clan weapons were balanced to be less accurate than Inner Sphere weapons so although they do more damage, that damage is spread across more mech sections thus less effective.

This is evidenced by the placement in the list of some of the top killer, most dangerous, mechs in the game being located midway in the pack instead of at the top.

Now when MWO adds the stat, 'Kill Most Accurate Damage Dealt', you might get a more realistic comparison of the true Best Mechs in the Game. MWO just tracks KMDD, but if less damage is required to get the KMDD it's a negative scoring effect.

Partially right on the first count, but only applies to ballistics. Wrong everywhere else.

#82 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

I still say that the scores are heavily influences by popularity. Basically the more a mech is played the more chances it has to have an exceptional match that will alter and raise its scores. If a Kodiak is on average played 5x the amount of matches that an Altas is played of course it is going to generally trend toward having a higher score.

#83 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 17 October 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

I still say that the scores are heavily influences by popularity. Basically the more a mech is played the more chances it has to have an exceptional match that will alter and raise its scores. If a Kodiak is on average played 5x the amount of matches that an Altas is played of course it is going to generally trend toward having a higher score.

Popularity doesn't really excuse the fact that bad mechs are bad. At best, it only muddles when something is considered mediocre.

Also, under what circumstance would the Atlas be considered on par with the Kodiak? It wouldn't ever happen unless the Atlas had a headstart to its target.

Edited by Deathlike, 17 October 2016 - 09:06 AM.

#84 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 17 October 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

Consider the most likely reason why a chassis might get played more, though.

#85 M A N T I S

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:48 AM

Tahawus' interpretation and analysis on these numbers is correctly done, and is performed on a set of data that is as objective as we can expect here.

There is a problem in that many top performers are not in this comparison: the ebon jaguar, timberwolf, black knight, grasshoppers to name a few. Methodology is sound, completeness lacking. I'd reserve making a conclusion until you have more of a conclusive set available.

This is the only thing in this thread that is accurate and objective in any way, so thank you very much for your efforts.

#86 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:53 AM

View PostM A N T I S, on 15 December 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

Tahawus' interpretation and analysis on these numbers is correctly done, and is performed on a set of data that is as objective as we can expect here.

There is a problem in that many top performers are not in this comparison: the ebon jaguar, timberwolf, black knight, grasshoppers to name a few. Methodology is sound, completeness lacking. I'd reserve making a conclusion until you have more of a conclusive set available.

This is the only thing in this thread that is accurate and objective in any way, so thank you very much for your efforts.

The table with the heavies included is on page 4. When this was originally posted, the heavy leaderboard hadn't happened yet.

Right here:
https://mwomercs.com...73#entry5414473

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users