Would You Support Higher Mounted Archer Cockpit?

BattleMechs Balance

57 replies to this topic

#41 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:37 AM

View Postzagibu, on 23 August 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

So if they announce a broken design, it's not broken when it's delivered in the announced state? Interesting perspective...

Yes. That is the reality of their perspective. When the Archer or any other mech with broken geometry gets an actual fix, we will know that their perspective has changed. Wake me when it happens.

#42 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:46 AM

Nope, that ship sailed at launch.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

View Postzagibu, on 23 August 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

So if they announce a broken design, it's not broken when it's delivered in the announced state? Interesting perspective...

Was anything about that state obfuscated or hidden?. The cockpit, for example was known the moment the art was released. Anyone with half a brain could pretty definitively determine the geometry and hit boxes. So, while the quirks were a disappointment, what part of it being broken did PGI conceal?

If nothing, then they are not obligated to "fix" anything.

#44 Herr Vorragend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

The cockpit needs to stay where it is. It's part of the design. If you don't like it (or not being able to deal with it) get a mad dog or another mech with a high cockpit position.
I like my archers as they are now and how they were announced. There are other ways of helping the chassis :)

#45 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

No, I like the mech exactly for the reason of the cockpit design. It's unique. They should just give it some good quirks instead.

#46 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 August 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

A valid concern, but super low cockpit is something that really should be addressed, IMO. Exposing your entire torsi just so you can see the enemy is utterly stupid. Especially on a mech that is not that good in the first place, thanks to its hitboxes, and lack of offensive quirks.

I understand design deviation in order to mitigate design flaws is a desirous endever. Particularly in a competitive arena...

That said, as a purist I appreciate diversity in design, even at the expense of functionality. The midline cockpit is a documented fluffery that is unique to the chassis.

I know I'm a contrarian oddball... It's one of my redeeming qualities.

#47 Drunken Skull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 187 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

There are various instances where NOVELS and RELATED cover art can be considered NON CANONICAL, as they are clearly stuffing up the original intended design. I posit that this is a NON-canon design, and should not be adhered to. The artist clearly screwed up for the cover art of a novel and some idiot authored some fluff to save the artwork, without knowing what he was doing in the long haul to the design.

How would you like it if PGI took your favorite mech and put it's cockpit in it's crotch? TOTALLY RE-DESIGNING it's cockpit so that instead of cool tanky-style vision slits, it's a Plate-Glass Office Window IN IT'S Crotch.

EVERY other mech has it's cockpit in the right place, but because some hack of a novel cover artist took some artistic liberty, we all have to put up with his/her obsession with great big office windows in the crotch of the mech! I don't think so, you don't get to do that, consider your Artwork and Fluff NON-CANON.

Edited by Drunken Skull, 23 August 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#48 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostDrunken Skull, on 23 August 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

There are various instances where NOVELS and RELATED cover art can be considered NON CANONICAL, as they are clearly stuffing up the original intended design. I posit that this is a NON-canon design, and should not be adhered to. The artist clearly screwed up for the cover art of a novel and some idiot authored some fluff to save the artwork, without knowing what he was doing in the long haul to the design.

How would you like it if PGI took your favorite mech and put it's cockpit in it's crotch? TOTALLY RE-DESIGNING it's cockpit so that instead of cool tanky-style vision slits, it's a Plate-Glass Office Window IN IT'S Crotch.

EVERY other mech has it's cockpit in the right place, but because some hack of a novel cover artist took some artistic liberty, we all have to put up with his/her obsession with great big office windows in the crotch of the mech! I don't think so, you don't get to do that, consider your Artwork and Fluff NON-CANON.

Interesting theory...

Except for the part where the TRO manuals, which is the unofficial/official book of Hoyle in regards to battlemechs clearly states the cockpit is mounted midline.

Could it be the the hacks got it right and the secondary and tertiary artists (To include the artists who rendered it in MekTech add-on) got it wrong?

No way... couldn't be. Posted Image

#49 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

Death to the proponents of the high mounted cockpit.

Same crowd who thinks the Cyclops cockpit is in the torso, probably.

#50 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 23 August 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

Death to the proponents of the high mounted cockpit.

Same crowd who thinks the Cyclops cockpit is in the torso, probably.

This comment made no sense.

#51 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 August 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

After getting good amount of games with the Archer, I became especially fond of the Tempest and ARC-5W. PGI did a good job of recreating Archer's looks faithfully and improving on it. However, I feel like their decision to keep the cockpit low is significantly harming the otherwise solid mech's performance as well as popularity.

Allow me to demonstrate. This is how much your Archer has to expose itself in order to get a LoS, highlighted in green. Basically your entire torsi. And if you have your launchers open, denoted by red, then the enemy can spot you even easier from behind cover.

Posted Image

Now compare that to another similarly profiled Heavy mech that is also known in lore for carrying dual LRM20s--the Mad Dog. See how little the Dog has to expose, in order to spot the enemy?

Posted Image

IMO, it would be better if PGI moves the cockpit to a higher vantage point, so that the mech gets a new lease on life. Remember how some people like to say "Get your own lock, LRM noob"? Well, the Archer is one LRM mech that can't get a lock by itself without seriously endangering its safety.

Posted Image

Finally, I know some BT purists will likely get a stroke from such decision, but I think this case is a special one. Archer needs it. Not to mention the TT miniatures had high mounted cockpit, as shown here.

Posted Image

Do you think PGI should raise the cockpit of the Archer?

PLEASE NO... Archer is supposed to be a fire support mech, not a hill humper. I love it and please stop trying to make every mech viable/conform to certain play styles.

You HAVE your hill humpers, leave my fire support mech alone! D: This isn't even coming from a TT perspective (not a TT player), just that I'm sick of people complaining a mech doesn't work for things like hill humping.

#52 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 23 August 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

PLEASE NO... Archer is supposed to be a fire support mech, not a hill humper. I love it and please stop trying to make every mech viable/conform to certain play styles.

You HAVE your hill humpers, leave my fire support mech alone! D: This isn't even coming from a TT perspective (not a TT player), just that I'm sick of people complaining a mech doesn't work for things like hill humping.

On the other hand, fire support mechs doesn't have to have super low cockpit. AWS-8R, BLR-1S, HBK-4J etc, are also mostly used for LRM fire support and they have high cockpit. In fact they can fire support better cause of it.

Archer suffers doubly because of its "bunny ear" missile bay doors giving away its position even easier before the Archer can see the enemy.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 August 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#53 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:03 AM

View PostDrunken Skull, on 23 August 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

Well, let's see, if it was my favorite mech, 1) I'd know that every official representation for the past 30 years or so had that "Hipster" cockpit. 2) When the official art came out for MWO confirmed it, well, then I'd have chosen to buy or not buy, with that knowledge.

oh, and here's another Hipster Mech... this one literally since it's cockpit...is actually a COCKpit.
Posted Image

Enjoy!

#54 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 August 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

After getting good amount of games with the Archer, I became especially fond of the Tempest and ARC-5W. PGI did a good job of recreating Archer's looks faithfully and improving on it. However, I feel like their decision to keep the cockpit low is significantly harming the otherwise solid mech's performance as well as popularity.

IMO, it would be better if PGI moves the cockpit to a higher vantage point, so that the mech gets a new lease on life. Remember how some people like to say "Get your own lock, LRM noob"? Well, the Archer is one LRM mech that can't get a lock by itself without seriously endangering its safety.

Finally, I know some BT purists will likely get a stroke from such decision, but I think this case is a special one. Archer needs it. Not to mention the TT miniatures had high mounted cockpit, as shown here.

Posted Image

Do you think PGI should raise the cockpit of the Archer?

BTW...here's the ACTUAL Ral Partha Battletech Archer Mini, not a robotech one repurposed for Battletech
Posted Image
Posted Image

Y MY WARHAMMER NO HAVE MISSILES!?!?!?!?!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 August 2016 - 04:15 AM.

#55 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:20 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 August 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

BTW...here's the ACTUAL Ral Partha Battletech Archer Mini, not a robotech one repurposed for Battletech
Posted Image
Posted Image

Y MY WARHAMMER NO HAVE MISSILES!?!?!?!?!
Posted Image

Posted Image

ARCHHAMMER FTW!Posted Image

#56 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:30 AM

Yeah idk, the angle at which the Archer launches it's missiles, I never had a problem with the cockpit. I jusy adapted my playstyle to the mech rather than the other way around.

I get why people want to change it, but I'm not part of the "everything mist be the best it can be" crowd.

#57 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:42 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 24 August 2016 - 04:30 AM, said:

Yeah idk, the angle at which the Archer launches it's missiles, I never had a problem with the cockpit. I jusy adapted my playstyle to the mech rather than the other way around.

I get why people want to change it, but I'm not part of the "everything mist be the best it can be" crowd.

MunckinMechs FTW!!!!

*smh*

#58 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 August 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

Well, let's see, if it was my favorite mech, 1) I'd know that every official representation for the past 30 years or so had that "Hipster" cockpit. 2) When the official art came out for MWO confirmed it, well, then I'd have chosen to buy or not buy, with that knowledge.

oh, and here's another Hipster Mech... this one literally since it's cockpit...is actually a COCKpit.
Posted Image

Enjoy!

He must get ALL the lady-mechs!

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users