37 replies to this topic

#1 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

Very delicate subject, I know... some get angry easily about this but I told players of last game I would port this subject here up to read opinions.

I don't do this very often. In fact the only time I will look into doing this is when I have lost all my weapons, whatever the game issue is when that happens, sometimes it looks like a win, sometimes not. This also only happen if I have the chance to flee because most of the time the enemy kills me at the same time so it's only on very rare occasions I can flee and hide.

See, I have 2 options, either I go suicide maybe serving as a shield for a second, or I go hide.

I believe it's my right to hide and power down. There is a BAP sensor in this game, it finds powered down mech for a reason.

Of course some teammates rage about this, chat begin to fill with insults, some say they are reporting my action and encourage others to do the same, then some use F9 to tell coords to enemy, this is griefing and can be reported too.

Posted Image

If you're dead, why don't you leave the game and play next one instead?

One player hiding is not common so why do you get so mad when this happens?

Unless PGI tell me it's forbidden, I'll keep doing this from time to time when the opportunity is there, and you all know that's not often for reason said above. Strange sometimes to see how a game can make some people go mad over a situation.

P.S. This will be my only post. I know some will never agree with my POV.

#2 XvDraxvX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts
  • LocationEscondido CA

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:21 AM

No

You should be out drawing fire from your team mates or you soak a shot so your team mates can kill the enemy.

In Quickplay you gain NOTHING by sitting afk in a corner hiding you just waste 6-7 minutes of your time and your teams time.

In Faction Play i still see no real reason to shut down and hide unless maybe if you already killed Omega and your the last player alive then maybe?

If your in Quickplay though just go draw fire or soak a shot for your team, be a team player.

Bap has another use in countering ECM and uploading information about your target faster.

So your point just leads to you being a bad team mate really.

#3 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:25 AM

Well I got a right to report you.
Just stop man everyone fights or just go play COD maybe Candy Crap.
Sheesh.

#4 Llymrel

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

If you powerdown to ambush a nearby opponent, all the power to you. If you jump to a hidden location and power down to protect your K/D ratio....we'll you are no longer participating. Your lack of participation is now making several to 11 other people hunt all over a map to find you and kill you.

You are selfishly wasting everyone's time after you already lost the match. Just play like a normal person and inflict what damage you can before you die. People admire the lct who snipes across the map for 8 mins. No one likes the spider who hides in a tourmaline jump only location to power down for 8 minutes.

I am probably one of those people who have reported you and will continue to report you for non-participation. that's why its an option in the drop downs.

Its a game and there is no death penalty. Just play

#5 Whiplash Wally

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

Even without weapons, you can still be a useful distraction / meat shield.

#6 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

Intentionally delaying the game without trying to win is against the CoC as I recall, so stop wasting time. I would report you in that case.

1, the enemy team looking for you can't leave or else they risk losing their rewards for the match.

2, your team's mechs are locked up until the match ends

So, stop wasting time, just get yourself killed, or do your best to win. Don't hide, or you will get reported.

#7 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

IRL that's called Desertion... and you can be shot for it.

#8 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

View PostRhialto, on 26 August 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Very delicate subject, I know... some get angry easily about this but I told players of last game I would port this subject here up to read opinions.

I don't do this very often. In fact the only time I will look into doing this is when I have lost all my weapons, whatever the game issue is when that happens, sometimes it looks like a win, sometimes not. This also only happen if I have the chance to flee because most of the time the enemy kills me at the same time so it's only on very rare occasions I can flee and hide.

See, I have 2 options, either I go suicide maybe serving as a shield for a second, or I go hide.

I believe it's my right to hide and power down. There is a BAP sensor in this game, it finds powered down mech for a reason.

Of course some teammates rage about this, chat begin to fill with insults, some say they are reporting my action and encourage others to do the same, then some use F9 to tell coords to enemy, this is griefing and can be reported too.

Posted Image

Unless PGI tell me it's forbidden, I'll keep doing this from time to time when the opportunity is there, and you all know that's not often for reason said above. Strange sometimes to see how a game can make some people go mad over a situation.

They already have told you;

http://mwomercs.com/conduct

Shutting Down your ‘Mech or avoiding engagements with the enemy, and when doing so might be considered non-participation

All pilots have access to a Shutdown command for their ‘Mechs, mapped by default to the ‘P’ key and listed as ‘Toggle Power’ in the keyboard menu.

The primary benefit to shutting down your ‘Mech is that it will no longer appear on enemy radar. In the deciding moments of a close match with few ‘Mechs left standing on the battlefield, effective use of the shutdown mechanic and/or evasion tactics has the potential to provide you with the following benefits:

Breaking a target lock
Appearing ‘heat neutral’ on maps where Thermal Vision might commonly be used
Presenting on opportunity for staging an ambush
Evading detection long enough to secure a win through Conquest points
Evading detection long enough to secure a timer expiration win when you have superior numbers, in circumstances where you may be too critically damaged to otherwise risk a direct engagement with the enemy
The above situations are considered to be within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended to be used for.

There are situations that do not fall within the scope of what the shutdown mechanic or evasion tactics are intended for. The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:

Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.

Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.

Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.

Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation.

#9 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

You're right, BAP does find enemies... put it in your CT and keep powered up to help your allies, even a gunless Mech can assist with targetting.

#10 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:33 AM

don't see why you would waste your own time by sitting powered down somewhere in a situation where you can't win. to slightly alter your own words- "if you have no weapons why don't you die so you can leave the game and play the next one instead?"

unless it's skirmish you can 1) go into the green circle and run the timer (domination) 2) go and try to can the enemy base (assault) or 3) try to flip caps (conquest)- even with no weapons

conquest used to be the only mode where it made sense if you had a big map, big cap lead and last mech left vs many enemy. if you died they won regardless of score, living might get you the win. but now since they still have to flip the caps til the numbers favor them it doesn't accomplish anything anymore.

#11 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

Why are people hiding anyway? If I see myself in a lost battle, I just charge in the enemy and end it quickly. No benefit to waste others or, more importantly, my time. Exception would be, if I like p*ssing off other plays but I don't have that mindset.

K/D is not a thing in this game so trolling seems to be the only reason.

#12 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

As spoken in a previous post...

Sounds like "Non-Participation" which is against the rules. And a reportable option!

#13 Plastic Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

I saw a guy playing Domination on Tourmaline Desert who got sticked. He was last of our team.

He got in the circle with about 4 dead mechs and powered down.

Wouldn't that block them from running the Dom clock down? I don't remember....

I have also seen somebody do it on conquest (as previously posted).....

Anyway...everyone on the chat was laughing and saying "What? No one has a BAP?"

Plastic Guru

Edited by Plastic Guru, 26 August 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#14 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

The rules are clear:

1) Everybody has the right to report such player after the game. The Support will then sort it out ...

2) Nobody has the right to announce the position of his own teammate to the enemy, under no circumstances.

#15 Llymrel

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

I personally find it humorous that a person with 1,200 posts outed himself as [Redacted]. I would guess he is on here posting [Redacted] about something while he is shutdown in the game.

Edited by draiocht, 26 August 2016 - 10:00 AM.
insults

#16 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

The only time it makes sense to hide for prolonged periods is when your team is winning by caps. In that situation, you can argue that you're trying to snag a cap win.

There is nothing wrong with using yourself as a shield for surviving allies. It means that you're a team player and are willing to sacrifice yourself to help your team win. I actually was a good meatshield myself as a disarmed Cat A1 one time...

Don't ask people to quit the match, because they won't get their full match rewards if they do. Their mech is also still locked out, so they can't even use it until the match truly ends.

Edited by FupDup, 26 August 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#17 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

We can close the thread on this post:

1. You are allowed to power-down and hide if you are forcing a victory upon your team by drawing the clock down. This is called "trying to win" and is allowed.

2. You are not allowed to power-down and hide if you are forcing either a loss or a tie on your team (in other words: not trying to win). This is called "trying to not win" and is not allowed. You are not permitted to intentionally forfeit by hiding.

Any questions?

#18 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostRhialto, on 26 August 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Very delicate subject, I know... some get angry easily about this but I told players of last game I would port this subject here up to read opinions.I don't do this very often. In fact the only time I will look into doing this is when I have lost all my weapons, whatever the game issue is when that happens, sometimes it looks like a win, sometimes not. This also only happen if I have the chance to flee because most of the time the enemy kills me at the same time so it's only on very rare occasions I can flee and hide.See, I have 2 options, either I go suicide maybe serving as a shield for a second, or I go hide.
Posted Image

Its called trolling for a reason...
Posted Image

#19 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

Sorry. I cannot support your cowardice or non-participation.

#20 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:21 AM

Discussing and promoting the violation of PGI's code of conduct?

Well, there's only one thing I've got to say to that...

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users