Cw Is A Waste Of Time

63 replies to this topic

#21 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Haven't played in a very long time, way before the Long Tom made an appearance.

Refresh my memory if you could, how does that Long Tom work mechanic with those bottlenecks that tend to concentrate mechs into a reasonably small area?

Haaa haa haa haaaaa ha.........

#22 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:17 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 23 August 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

You want to know another thing that is frustrating about CW?
In the Feature suggestion part of the forums a player named Rebas Kradd made a thread with a video in it.
The video showed a CW gamemode that had huge maps with multiple objectives and multiple paths to each objective.
New Gamemode Proposal - Making Bigger Maps Fun

Bottleneck maps could become a thing of the past. His idea is not just brilliant but it's also popular.
Despite it's popularity and the work he put into making the video PGI is a no show.

Great video but no way for PGI to implement it.

#23 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:57 PM

Sigh...can't even get worked up enough to re-post any of the myriad of ways that this community has suggested over the last two years to make CW better and perhaps even compelling. We've all seen them before. But PGI just doesn't care.

My last bit of hope for this mode was/is the round table, but it was pretty clear to my ears that all Russ really wanted to talk about (and have the panel members affirm) was his desire to combine buckets. Oh joy. As to the rest, I got the impression that the ideas of the panel members were being tolerated so that he could say "see I listened". Perhaps I will be proven wrong and all sort of new ideas and fixes will be forth coming just as soon as PGI finishes its analysis of the round table. Well see there? I've managed to get myself just all a flutter with hope and excitement about the potential of PGI listening to the community and really putting forth all its effort toward a CW revival. Yeah. Woo-hoo.

#24 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

Russ used Long Tom against FW population. It was super effective... at wiping them out.

#25 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

Stop bringing up Long Tom. Nobody's cares about it since it impedes farming. Which faction is pro-Long Tom? The Davions?

#26 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 23 August 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

Sigh...can't even get worked up enough to re-post any of the myriad of ways that this community has suggested over the last two years to make CW better and perhaps even compelling. We've all seen them before. But PGI just doesn't care.
It still baffles me how white knights blame the community for being salty and pissed off. "Come on guys, let's try working with PGI for a change." Ha, 3 years of that has gotten absolutely nowhere.

#27 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

It is.

#28 Baphomech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

View PostTamwulf, on 23 August 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

What's the point? Role Play value? Hundreds of planets to invade, and they all conform to the same what, 6 maps? There is no incentive to play- I log in, "vote" to attack a planet, then wait. I enter the que- and wait some more. Hopefully, enough other players will try to "defend", so we wait. When/if a match is made, we wait.

See the common thread here? Waiting for a game instead of, you know, actually playing the game. In the amount of time one CW game is played, I could play several quick play games.

Do I get more C-bills/XP from a CW vs. several quick matches? I dunno, because I hate waiting and waiting and waiting for a CW game to play, so I haven't even come close to making some kind of sample size to compare against.

This is the third CW I've been through, and they just keep adding more and more crap to it, but still doesn't change two things: No incentive to play it, and long wait times.

Is there even a plan of what CW is supposed to be? Is there a design document that PGI is working towards here?

I'll admit there is substantially less incentive to play CW matches. Time is a factor, and these days I'm only able play for about six hours a week. A thirty minute CW match that has a 50% of going south (and thus having a bad payout), plus who knows how long for the match to begin? No thanks. I want to buy mechs, so I need to make c-bills. When I can make more c-bills per hour, with fewer expenses on consumables, the profit is in QP. There was once a pseudo roleplaying element to CW that was fun, but those days are gone.

A game that features mercenaries needs to cater to that mindset.

#29 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

No supply. No factories. No economic warfare. There are games out there they can get inspiration from in how to make it work.

#30 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:27 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 23 August 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

Stop bringing up Long Tom. Nobody's cares about it since it impedes farming. Which faction is pro-Long Tom? The Davions?

Instead of Long Tom, opponent use of arty is disabled. Your cooldowns are sped up. FIXED IT!!!

#31 Jurosik

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:37 AM

As someone who play CW i dont understand whinning about Long Tom.

Facts:

1, Its never turned on except on CW events thats around 1% of time its on.
2, Even on events It takes several hours of intensive scouting to turn it on which only 1-2 factions manage
3, It takes five seconds to check if Long Tom active on planet so if hate it just dont drop on that planet. there 4-5 other planet where its not on.

#32 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:19 AM

PGI did well with discouraging players from playing CW with many many things.

It could have been the main are of play if PGI would have set it up properly, instead they gave a sceleton and promised to fill it up with flesh, what they haven't done enough even yet.

#33 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:29 AM

When the decision was made to have no match-making in CW, the game mode was killed off.

The rest of it is still a wreck also - the terrible maps, long waits, Long Tom stupidity, insane objectives (generators holding doors closed?! Really?), and so forth, but even if all that was fixed it won't matter until some level of balance between the teams playing is established. And as long as a random pile of PUG's and a few casuals on a team can be pitted against a fully practiced team, the game mode will continue to be grossly unbalanced and totally pointless. As far as I know, they still haven't fixed this issue, but since I haven't touched CW in 6+ months, I wouldn't know. And, at this point, I honestly don't care.

#34 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostJurosik, on 24 August 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

As someone who play CW i dont understand whinning about Long Tom.

Facts:

1, Its never turned on except on CW events thats around 1% of time its on.
2, Even on events It takes several hours of intensive scouting to turn it on which only 1-2 factions manage
3, It takes five seconds to check if Long Tom active on planet so if hate it just dont drop on that planet. there 4-5 other planet where its not on.

To those who defend CW and its current state or think those who dislike certain aspects of it are just "whining" or what have you, do keep in mind that CW is so broken at PGI had a round table recently in an attempt to try to come up with ways to fix it. The fact that the population is so low that Russ wants to combine the player "buckets" is a consequence of just how bad the mode sucks. Long tom is but one aspect of phase 3 that has driven people away..

There are others: stagnant play, pointless modes, no tactical depth (hmm? which gate this time?), the same 6 maps to represent the entire planetary diversity of the known galaxy, the utter failure to create an immersive environment (we just took Hesperus II the most important planet in Steiner space...what is the affect on Steiner? the IS map? the clan that took it?: NOTHING....oh and by the way the planet itself is "information unknown"), a tax on people that want to get together and play the game (seriously an actual disincentive...a punishment...for those playing as a group), the fact that the factions are utterly meaningless, etc. I could go one, but we've been over this before. The point is, is that there are legitimate issues that CW suffers from and even PGI is finally realizing it. Long tom is just one problem, but it isn't even close to the whole problem.

#35 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:47 AM

Just my 2 cents:

Thats my day in CW:

1. Go on galaxy map, see Steiners' territory quite green
2. defend planet to stop jade invasion -> counter attack with pugs vs. premade clanners -> shameful loss
3. next try -> see point 2
4. next try -> see point 2
5. next try .... you know...

and the best thing is: its ALWAYS counter attack, always, did i mention always?

There is nothing more frustrating than countless matches ALWAYS against premades, ALWAYS with Pugs, ALWAYS Counter Attack. (and 90 % of that matches on Boreal Vault, Clanners most favourite map, cold and snipey)

You barely get it that only some parts of your team is able to walk the same direction and then you see Jade Falcon premades waiting at the choke point.....pointless to tell what will happen then....see point 2.

No Immersion, no goals to reach for Steiner, no victories, no fun, no good matches, just 30 minutes of slaughtery.

Only thing which works for CW is to test my builds what amount of damage they can take. Thats good to know for Quickplay....

#36 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:44 AM

Yeah CW for a pug counter attacking a premade can best be summed up with the opening Stalingrad scene from Enemy at the Gates. You basically have to shoot your own soldiers to get them to poorly attack a well-trained entrenched enemy.

#37 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

The biggest problem with FP is PGI's vision. When your "improvements" continually drive more and more people away from the game mode, I start to wonder what your motivations are. If PGI is trying to make a game mode that is fun to play then they are failing horribly. If PGI is trying to kill it off, they are doing a wonderful job.

#38 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

View PostZolaz, on 24 August 2016 - 05:25 AM, said:

The biggest problem with FP is PGI's vision. When your "improvements" continually drive more and more people away from the game mode, I start to wonder what your motivations are. If PGI is trying to make a game mode that is fun to play then they are failing horribly. If PGI is trying to kill it off, they are doing a wonderful job.

I don't think PGI has malicious intentions regarding the IP. But I do think it goes something like this:

"Whoo, we made a new game feature! Let's take a break! Free wine and snacks at Russ's house! No, not you Alex. You stay and draw mechs. If you need us Paul has his pager."

:comes back 6 months later:

"Man what a great party. I totally lost it when Bryan took a pull off that beer-bong and puked on that cop car. Oh look, Alex died from malnutrition. Hey, where did all the players go?"

#39 Jurosik

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:39 AM

View PostBishop Six, on 24 August 2016 - 03:47 AM, said:

Just my 2 cents:

Thats my day in CW:

1. Go on galaxy map, see Steiners' territory quite green
2. defend planet to stop jade invasion -> counter attack with pugs vs. premade clanners -> shameful loss
3. next try -> see point 2
4. next try -> see point 2
5. next try .... you know...

and the best thing is: its ALWAYS counter attack, always, did i mention always?

There is nothing more frustrating than countless matches ALWAYS against premades, ALWAYS with Pugs, ALWAYS Counter Attack. (and 90 % of that matches on Boreal Vault, Clanners most favourite map, cold and snipey)

You barely get it that only some parts of your team is able to walk the same direction and then you see Jade Falcon premades waiting at the choke point.....pointless to tell what will happen then....see point 2.

No Immersion, no goals to reach for Steiner, no victories, no fun, no good matches, just 30 minutes of slaughtery.

Only thing which works for CW is to test my builds what amount of damage they can take. Thats good to know for Quickplay....

Yesterday at CW

1. same as yours
2. defend Steiner planet from jade falcon -> defend mode pug vs pug very close IS loss omega lost 30s before end gg.
3. defend Steiner planet from jade falcon -> counter attack on same map pug vs pug close IS victory score 48-40 gg.
4.defend Steiner planet from jade falcon -> counter attack grim portico 3man 1mc group + pugs vs JF pugs close for first half of the map turned later in clear IS win.

No JF premades detected on top of that my one man unit tagged the planet no idea why 1mc (sry Kambor ) didnt got the tag but hey more mc for me.

#40 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:51 AM

For years I posted "CW lol" on those threads calling for it. Hate to say it but I was right all along.

Thing is it wasn't PGI that was the problem but the self entitled idiots calling for it. Same idiots who threatened to synch drop solo into oblivion when PGI announced it was splitting ques.

Same ones who now synch drop into solo to farm because well no skills.

Same ones who cry about Long Tom or LRMs.

Same ones who use "Get Better noob" or GG after a stomp they were virtually assured to win.

Same ones who cannot function without macro's.

Same ones who crank resolution to nothing so they can crank on targets who can't see them.

Same ones who are on teams running wall hack but claim they got no benefit from it or cheating doesn't happen.

You get the point. You wanted CW but now its not good enough so you come to the place you fought against daily and farm pugs. PGI can't make you happy unless they hand every advantage to you so you can inflate your scores.

Too bad.

CW lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users