The New Ed Values For Most Weapons Is Now Too Restrictive

2 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

I can understand the change of 1:1 power draw over 30 alpha, I can live with it and play around it.

I really dislike the secondary nerfs across so many other weapon systems.

For starters, it sets the bar for an "allowable" alpha below 30 in many cases - something like 2x PPCs +1 AC 10 a "mixed" build is penalized enough to make it unattractive.

Beyond that, it makes the system on the whole less intuitive.

Which is, what I thought, a part of what we were trying to move away from.

1 Damage = 1 ED

That's clear, that's intuitive.

1 Damage = ... depends on the weapon type

The second is simply going to create winners and losers in the new system, there will be ways to build to deal 30 damage with no penalty and ways to deal 30 with a penalty - and players will universally gravitate towards dealing damage with no penalty.

I also feel like there is a bias towards short ranged boating.

I don't understand why being able to blast someone at short range with a 4x ASRM 6s is acceptable boating but doing 30 points of damage at range is not acceptable (2x PPCs + 1 AC 10).

Why is boating acceptable if it's for short ranged use?

Aside from these points I also think the changes to Gauss Rifles are a bit too much.

20 ED for 1 Gauss Rifle means if I decide to even use this new super nerfed version, that I will most likely always use 2 of them instead of mixing in other weapons.

Aside from that, while I was always a proponent of giving the IS Gauss more health (which is a good change) to separate it from the Clan Gauss and its weight advantage - I don't agree with making Clan Gauss 100% chance to explode.

P.S. Trying my best to post coherently, I've had a 103 fever for two days and I'm on meds. :/

#2 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

- Well... No.
On Live Server all know that make build with Heat management = 1-1.1 or below that number not good. But anyone do that even in case of overheating. All know that mech with low heatsink become hot, but still place more weapon just for do as much damage as they cane before blow up and die. Because it's easy to do 100-200damage an go of from game on another mech in another battle. So no, most of gamer build mech with more than 30 damage. So, no gravity to low damage.

Second. Ed scale in mech info not optimal damage. As the overall mech firepower not alpha. Its' just all firepower which mech can hold! If you have 2xLRM20 + 4ML laser + 2LL = firepower = 78. But it doesn't mean that in range of 270m you blow all of that in face of enemy mech. You shoot LRM ot locked target at 600-700m. Than fire from LL from 500 to 460m and do damage from 4ML to rip some red part of mech.
Why all count firepower as alpha? Its' not alpha! It's just info for player to group weapons in separate group. And fire one group after another with delay.
I think better place number of Energy used by weapon in weapon info right after damage or heat. I think it easy to make. So, Ill wait for that.

Third. Yes. We need to see in HUD how many heat over 100% we got. And how many ED point over 30 was taken by fire one of grouped weapon. In both cases we need clear picture. That 30 limit depleted and over it was taken 10-15-20 points. And by that we got more overheat. Example how it can be done I place in my post.

Fourth. In close combat you have 30 damage and your enemy have same damage. Or a little more, depends. If long-range got fast 30 damage - not mid-shot range mech get in position. We see that many times on Polar High-grounds.

Fifth. I agree with your thoughts about gauss. My advice - make chance lower - 96% when it charged and ready to shoot and 88-90% when it in cooldown (7.5 sec)

Edited by Tiantara, 25 August 2016 - 01:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users