#1 MechWarrior2427047

Rookie

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

Good morning MWO forumers!

I have a simple question i'd like to ask regarding mech variants. I'd like to buy the Mad Dog as my first mech because it looks like my old favorite the Vulture but i'm confused by one thing. What's the difference between the prime variant and the non-prime variants? So far the only difference i have seen is the prime can use AMS while the others cannot.

#2 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

The Mad Dog is the Vulture. The Vulture was the IS name for it; Mad Dog is the clan name. The hardpoints in the different variants vary by type (missile, ballistic, laser, AMS), and location. So one variant can be better at different things, compared to other variants of the same chassis.

Edited by Whiskey Dharma, 29 August 2016 - 06:27 AM.

#3 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:39 AM

The mad dog is an omni-mech. What makes a variant different from the next is the center torso. What makes it more confusing is some center torsos are exactly the same. All the other body components can be exchanged in any combination.

#4 MechWarrior2427047

Rookie

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

Alright, that clears up a few things for me and since two of the variants can run the same build i want i guess i'll go for the prime variant since it has the ams which all the other variants lack and in open maps that seems like a crucial thing to have.

#5 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

Just so you know, to get the most out of the Mad Dog (or any mech for that matter) you will need to buy 3 variants of it. The nice thing about it is that once you get the one you want fully elited you could sell the other 2, if you really felt like it and needed the open mech bays. Although we generally don't recommend selling mechs because of the poor resale value, I have sold some clan omnimechs due to being able to swap out omnipods to try different loadouts.

Edited by mailin, 29 August 2016 - 07:10 AM.

#6 MechWarrior2427047

Rookie

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 9 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

Yeah someone mentioned that to me and i'll keep that in mind, however i gotta start somewhere right? XD

Thanks for the assistance everyone, i greatly appreciate it!

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostitsJylerTAG, on 29 August 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

Yeah someone mentioned that to me and i'll keep that in mind, however i gotta start somewhere right? XD

Thanks for the assistance everyone, i greatly appreciate it!

You might not want to have it be with the MDD. It's probably the weakest clan heavy. It's very squishy and limited in real options.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostWedge Red Leader, on 29 August 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

The mad dog is an omni-mech. What makes a variant different from the next is the center torso. What makes it more confusing is some center torsos are exactly the same. All the other body components can be exchanged in any combination.

Currently each "variant" has a different set of core quirks supporting it.

...lore proper term is "config" and beyond what is thrown into it there is no difference as there are no variants, just common configurations and custom configurations. But that wouldn't fit MWO's skill system.

#9 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:29 PM

Did you buy it already, there is a heavy event during which all heavies will be on sale, just in about two weeks from now. The 35% lower sale price will help alot.

#10 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 August 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Currently each "variant" has a different set of core quirks supporting it.

I'm not really sure how to write this, so I'll just try my best. I understand your post, but you obviously didn't understand mine. Yup, I was trying to help this young pilot quickly, but PGI makes nothing easy to explain now do they.

What you said, is actually more incomplete and incorrect than my statement.

For example, some omni-mech variants have center torsos are exactly the same as the next. Like the HBR (Hellbringer) all 3 variants, the quirks and all are EXACTLY the same. So, I guess what you said is incorrect, the "core" quirks are not different. But, I do realize you meant the MDD variants. Do you now realize that I didn't say that all MDD variants have the same center torsos?

Read between the lines, don't quote me and then attach it to some curt statement.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

Didn't mean to sound Curt. The base stats do vary on most (but not all) variants. For example one might have better turning speed, another may have better acceleration. Mind you the differences are so minor they may as well not exist (say less than 10% difference). Then base quirks on some are different,, and "whole" quirks given only for having all variant specific body parts are unique per patient too. Not in every case but most.

None of the above paragraph is true of the Hell bringer mind you and they are all literally identical.

Now to mention it the only reason you were quoted was to continue on the topic you were speaking of.

Edited by Koniving, 30 August 2016 - 05:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users