6 replies to this topic

#1 Tvae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 203 posts
  • LocationPort Sunkissed

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

The Cyclops is a likely contender to be an upcoming mech, so I wanted to get in my fan art before the official art gets released (if and when it does):

Posted Image

My goal was to definitely focus on the Cyclops' role as a back-end support mech, most notably through the large communcations array on the back. I wanted to keep something akin to the large bubble-esque cockpit which gives it it's name, but without actually resorting to a... bubble. As a support mech, having a large, open view of the battlefield never hurts, which fits in with the cockpit's style.

The basic shape of the design is based on the version included with the Fourth Edition. Although it differs a fair deal from the more common design of the Cyclops, I think it succeeds in keeping everything that made the original design notable, while getting rid of the overly-prominent head it often had.

The rear antenna design is based on the TRO 3025 Cyclops.

The arms are based off the Atlas artwork from MWO, which have the same armament, so I just changed them up a bit. No need to change what already works. The basic shape of the AC10 barrel is copied from the MWO Centurion's AC10.

#2 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Paint her pink and name her Stacy.

#3 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

To be frank, I don't like your design.

Both the hip and knee joints look very thin and fragile. The same goes for that wasp waist. Not that that is bad in principle, but it doesn't align with the very bulky upper body. In a similar point the arms also look out of proportion to the rest of the body.

The LRM launcher on the other hand is very much oversized. While the head doesn't carry over much of a cyclops look. The canopy looks more like a featureless face than a single eye. And the feet are plain weird.

#4 MadMarauder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPlanet Whittington Steiner Space

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

And look at those High Heals!!!!

#5 B4nd1T

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

is it only me or does it look like its dancing right now?

#6 Tvae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 203 posts
  • LocationPort Sunkissed

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostDerMaulwurf, on 17 July 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

To be frank, I don't like your design.

Both the hip and knee joints look very thin and fragile. The same goes for that wasp waist. Not that that is bad in principle, but it doesn't align with the very bulky upper body. In a similar point the arms also look out of proportion to the rest of the body.

The LRM launcher on the other hand is very much oversized. While the head doesn't carry over much of a cyclops look. The canopy looks more like a featureless face than a single eye. And the feet are plain weird.

Yeah, I really suck at legs, and am not really happy with them (the legs or feet). I might (read: probably will eventually) go back and redo them, but at the same time I'm a lazy bum and I've put off way too much work already to even get it this far. Dum de dum.

I see what you're saying about the LRM being too big, and I might bring the missle slots a bit closer together. I've already done a fair bit in the way of re-sizing elements to make it less top-heavy, but I do agree it needs more work on that front.

At first I didn't really like my cockpit, but for some reason it's grown on me... It could use a bit of touching up, but frankly I'm fine with it not being too Cyclops-esque (looks more like the traditional cockpit in regards to the viewport than the one from MW4, so whatever). It's already larger and more round than any of the concept cockpits for MWO, no need to go over-the-top with it.

Edited by Tvae, 18 July 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#7 Buck Rogers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationMica Majority

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

You addressed some of my huge complaints with the Cyclops design.

The 1 big cockpit window? I mean, what? Why? It didn't make much sense to me in the original line art. Though, I would tone down your cockpit design and try to make it reminiscent of those Roman Gladiator helmets that your current cockpit resembles. Something that takes some ideas from this maybe?
http://www.armory.ne...U/CU_234-IK.jpg

I really, really, think that the original Cyclops was one big veiled phalic joke. The mechs glans *COUGH* I mean... Hat? Top cockpit armor? Something? Just always looked ridiculous. And then the one "eye". Cyclops.

They might have named it the One Eyed Willie (Goonies fame), The One Eyed Dragon, Univision Sausage, etc etc.

And the original line art does sort of have ladies slippers for feet.

But your design is totally getting in line for the Victorias Secret summer pantie special, dude.

Somewhere between your design and the original line art is the sweet spot :lol: . You solved some of the originals problems, but accentuated some others :angry: .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users