- - - - -

Mastery Bundle Sale - Most Desireable 'mechs ?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:03 AM

The Mastery Bundles already offer excellent Value at normal price...at 20% discount, they are REALLY worth the money...provided you want to spend some .

I am interested in opinions as to which specific bundles come with really desirable Variants . I just do not have the experience to really be able to judge myself .

I am currently trying to decide between
  • Griffin
  • Kintaro
  • Blackjack
  • Raven
  • Jagermech
  • Thunderbolt
and maybe Battlemaster . One or 2 of the above mentioned I may get while the Sale is on .

Opionions and recommendations welcome .

#2 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:46 AM

Griffin was pretty good, but it's kind of fallen off the meta, along with most of the IS 55 tonners. GRF-2N hands down is a beast in the right hands, with ECM and 4xSRM6+A

The rest of the mechs are meh, and live or die by the quirks. Battlemaster is in meta now, but they were not strong mechs to begin with, so if the quirks change, you might be stuck with subpar mechs.

The best value for money pack is the Locusts. You're practically buying 30 days premium time at a discount and getting 3 Mechs and Mech Bays thrown in for free.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:50 AM

Griffin is probably the best value with the Jager being a very close 2nd.
With the Griffin pack the 2n and Sparky are particularly good. The champ is ok.
The Jager pack unfortunately is missing the best version, which is the DD, but they are still solid.

Blackjack pack used to be a pretty good deal, but the Blackjack has been damn near nerfed into oblivion.

Thunderbolt pack isnt bad either, but I honestly feel it is a bit obsolete.

Kintaro pack is kinda mediocre.

The Raven pack is just flat out not worth it, consider its hero has been nerfed into being almost useless.

The Battlemaster pack is also not bad, but the hero is not that great. The 2C is particularly quite good. 1G is also very good, but does not come with the back. The 1S makes an OK-ish LRM boat if that is your thing.

I would also strongly consider the Catapult pack, as all three variants are still very good.
Also, the Jenner pack is still a very good deal. While the Jenner is not quite the monster it once was, it is still a very good chasis.

#4 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 04 September 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

]...]
The best value for money pack is the Locusts. You're practically buying 30 days premium time at a discount and getting 3 Mechs and Mech Bays thrown in for free.

Thanks for your post . And yeah, I would have gone for a LCT Mastery....IF I hadnt bought me one of these about 2 months ago already XD .

View PostBoogie138, on 04 September 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

Griffin is probably the best value with the Jager being a very close 2nd.
With the Griffin pack the 2n and Sparky are particularly good. The champ is ok.
The Jager pack unfortunately is missing the best version, which is the DD, but they are still solid.

Blackjack pack used to be a pretty good deal, but the Blackjack has been damn near nerfed into oblivion.

Thunderbolt pack isnt bad either, but I honestly feel it is a bit obsolete.

Kintaro pack is kinda mediocre.

The Raven pack is just flat out not worth it, consider its hero has been nerfed into being almost useless.

The Battlemaster pack is also not bad, but the hero is not that great. The 2C is particularly quite good. 1G is also very good, but does not come with the back. The 1S makes an OK-ish LRM boat if that is your thing.

I would also strongly consider the Catapult pack, as all three variants are still very good.
Also, the Jenner pack is still a very good deal. While the Jenner is not quite the monster it once was, it is still a very good chasis.

Thanks for the detailled breakdown !

Griffin and Jager are my favourites so far . Re Catapults: I did get the C1(F) Variant years ago, and also own the K2 . Getting the pack, I could start to Master them at last XD . Just not sure whether its worth $ for me, I can simply buy one with Cbills . Comes down to not being able to judge whether the Jester is a really good addition, and the fact that id get a duplicate K2 with it .

Edited by Besh, 04 September 2016 - 02:09 AM.

#5 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 04 September 2016 - 03:44 AM

You maximize savings by going for the larger tonnage.

So then BLR.

#6 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

I own the Mastery packs Jager and Griffin, and they are both really solid. The blackjack is still a great Medium too, but I don't think the pack includes the best cbill variants, perhaps a BJ pilot could weigh in.

I own the ravens, and the pack is a good deal because your 3L comes with the engine you'll want in it. The Huginn has been nerfed, but remember not to buy based on quirks. It's a unique RVN and worth trying out. The 3L is really fun.

I would avoid the Kintaro, because it's issue aren't quirk based, but rather size and hitbox based. If you like to spam LRM-5s than it might be fun.

Overall, if you decide you want to grab a mastery pack, now is definitely the time to do so. 50% off plus an additional 20% is a wonderful deal to get a headstart on a variant. You are technically buying 2 cbill purchasable mechs, but you get mechbays and premium time as well. The champion variant that comes in the pack is also loaded out with a decent kit usually, and almost always comes with a good XL engine. It would be a good idea for you to check individual loadouts on the (C) variants in the store for your pack of choice to double check. I think the JMS comes with good XL engines.

#7 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

I bought the Jenner, Raven, and Locust. In part for the mech bays and PT.

I made the mistake of thinking the PT would be banked so I'm trying now to fix it.

During the light sale, I bought some of each to work on pilot trees and to get the feel of them. I'm having hand surgery so I screwed the pooch on this one.

I agree with Hunka, the best deals will be the larger mechs. I just did not want any of them. I'm waiting on a Warhammer Bundle.

#8 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for your opinions so far People.

So, I picked up the Griffins, and Jagers . I would be interested in knowing what makes the Jager DD so special...

Would also be nice if I could get some more opnions re. Blackjacks, I somehow really like the 'Mech, and am on the fence about picking it up, too...

#9 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:38 AM

View PostBesh, on 05 September 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

So, I picked up the Griffins, and Jagers . I would be interested in knowing what makes the Jager DD so special...

Would also be nice if I could get some more opnions re. Blackjacks, I somehow really like the 'Mech, and am on the fence about picking it up, too...

I haven't bought the DD yet. The best part about it is probably the reduction in jam chance for UAC5s. Most people run a 3x UAC5 build and lots of ammo. I have also seen a trolly build with 2 LPLs in the side torsos and 6 MGs.
A good build to run right away until you can afford double heat sinks is double gauss. You won't do a ton of damage, but you'll be stripping components, and try to get your shots center mass. You will get kills but low damage, so the cbill return won't always be big.

#10 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

I picked up 3 BJs during the medium sale and I like them.

For me, the great thing about mastery bundles beside the lower cost per mech is the 3 mech bays and the $12.00 in PT time

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

View PostBesh, on 05 September 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

The tripple UAC5 Jager DD is a gold standard for IS Dakka.
Its DPS potential is very good.

The strongpoint of the Blackjack is its high mounted weapon hardpoints. It is kinda like a mini jager in that regard. Unfortunately, the majority of the best builds for the Blackjack require an XL motor. The XL motor risk was greatly off-set by very strong structure quirks. However the structure quirks have been reduced twice now and are rather minimal. All in all, its still not a bad mech, but you have to be very cautious while playing them now.

#12 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 05 September 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

The tripple UAC5 Jager DD is a gold standard for IS Dakka.
Its DPS potential is very good.

The strongpoint of the Blackjack is its high mounted weapon hardpoints. It is kinda like a mini jager in that regard. Unfortunately, the majority of the best builds for the Blackjack require an XL motor. The XL motor risk was greatly off-set by very strong structure quirks. However the structure quirks have been reduced twice now and are rather minimal. All in all, its still not a bad mech, but you have to be very cautious while playing them now.

Thanks a lot Boogie138 . Very helpfull :) .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users