#1 ripstop

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

Greetings,

I have an idea that I think is a fair solution to the problem of 'Ghost Heat' and the problems that surround it.

Tie power draw regarding capacity directly to engine size. It would be a sliding scale. Smaller engines would produce less capacity than larger engines. In the mech lab, you would have to balance between your mech size, load out and agility. Not all mechs would get the same ceiling like the situation that we have now.

Certain smaller weapons would need scrutiny to be viable for recon mechs. No considerations are needed for larger mechs.

All mechs past, present and future would be affected at once and I would think that the notion of power creep would be subdued at the same time.

This is the gist of my idea. I apologize if this has been brought up and discarded already. I usually only read the general forums.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

View Postripstop, on 04 September 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

This is the gist of my idea. I apologize if this has been brought up and discarded already. I usually only read the general forums.

It's been brought up...a lot. If I had a penny for every time, I might have almost a dollar by now.

It gets shot down almost equally as often.

The reason for getting shot down so much is because it massively shafts mechs with low engine caps. As an example, the Dire Wolf would have one of the lowest firepower limits of the assault class, since it has such a small engine. There are also mechs like the Vindicator, Awesome, Kit Fox, etc.

Larger engines are already very desirable thanks to offering greater agility (therefore greater durability) and more heatsink slots in addition to greater top speed in general.

Mechs with low engine caps are almost always inferior ones, with very few exceptions (like the Dire Whale before the "Great Rebalance" Clan nerfs).

Edited by FupDup, 04 September 2016 - 04:52 PM.

#3 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostFupDup, on 04 September 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

It's been brought up...a lot. If I had a penny for every time, I might have almost a dollar by now.

The reason for getting shot down so much is because it massively shafts mechs with low engine caps. As an example, the Dire Wolf would have one of the lowest firepower limits of the assault class, since it has such a small engine. There are also mechs like the Vindicator, Awesome, Kit Fox, etc.

Larger engines are already very desirable thanks to offering greater agility (therefore greater durability) and more heatsink slots in addition to greater top speed in general.

Mechs with low engine caps are almost always inferior ones, with very few exceptions (like the Dire Whale before the "Great Rebalance" Clan nerfs).

Couldnt they then cap it within a certain range? like 0-100

#4 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

In order to do such mechanic with balance, PGI will have normalize engine sizes per tonnage. For example, all 100 ton Assaults would be able to equip up to 400 engine rating, all 60 ton Heavies would be able to equip up to 300, all 20 ton Lights would be able to equip up to 200, to give an example.

And that will not sit well with many, to say the least.

#5 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostFupDup, on 04 September 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

I still think mechs shouldn't have an engine cap. If you can SOMEHOW fit a 400 STD engine into a Locust, BY GOD you deserve to have the 300 km/h speed it gives.

#6 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 04 September 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

I still think mechs shouldn't have an engine cap. If you can SOMEHOW fit a 400 STD engine into a Locust, BY GOD you deserve to have the 300 km/h speed it gives.

MWO's net code and hit-registration would not be able to keep up with 300kph mech, making it un-hitable cheat machine. 180kph is basically its limit.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 September 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#7 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 04 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 September 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

MWO's net code and hit-registration would not be able to keep up with 300kph mech, making it un-hitable cheat machine. 180kph is basically its limit.

RIP Firemoth still.

#8 ripstop

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:47 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I didn't realize that this had been brought up multiple times.

I would encourage no engine caps within a class. If you spend all your tonnage on engine size, you do not have much left over for weapon load out. It seemed to me to be a good simple way of solving a number of issues.

But as it stands, it is a no go out of the gate. I won't pursue this any further because while I used to be into S&M, necrophilia and bteasiality, I realized that I was flogging a dead horse.

Edited by ripstop, 05 September 2016 - 04:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users