ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:28 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

idk the mechs of 3075 and 3085 have a lot of duds.

truth to tell I don't even pay attention to post jihad, I got the 3145 purely because of Launch Event fervor (and alcohol) and getting Randall Bills to sign it. But at least it's art quality is good, and I do admit to loving me the Lament.

#262 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

truth to tell I don't even pay attention to post jihad, I got the 3145 purely because of Launch Event fervor (and alcohol) and getting Randall Bills to sign it. But at least it's art quality is good, and I do admit to loving me the Lament.

And honestly a lot of the TRO entries overall are pretty, non-meta? You get the meta **** when you start looking at the variants they shoehorn in at the back of entries or in record sheets.

I read through 3145 once but I'm waiting for a Field Manual or campaign book to bring us up to date before I start paying attention to the Fall of the Republic.

Edited by dervishx5, 08 September 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#263 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

And honestly a lot of the TRO entries overall are pretty, non-meta? You get the meta **** when you start looking at the variants they shoehorn in at the back of entries or in record sheets.

I read through 3145 once but I'm waiting for a Field Manual or campaign book to bring us up to date before I start paying attention to the Fall of the Republic.

I'm still waiting for a proper fleshing out of the Jihad before I really care about them trying to make the Clix Republic feel less artificial. (God the fiction for MWDA.... some of it was OK... until they got to the actual fights... then the mental contortions the writers had to go to to "justify" the forces fighting...which was obviously WizKids forcing them to base the fight off of actual Mech Clix battles and rules..... UGH!!!)

Plus, let's face it, Devlin Stone is a brainwashed, Arthur Davion, and a WoB mole, waiting to be reactivated. (see Blood of Tyrants and Blood Avatar.. lots of tantalizing clues there).... or at least that is certainly what it feels like they were planning....

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 08 September 2016 - 07:36 AM.

#264 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

Take a gander at the various Chargers.

I really do like the A5 Charger, 4/6 with an AC/20... she is mean.

#265 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

I'm still waiting for a proper fleshing out of the Jihad before I really care about them trying to make the Clix Republic feel less artificial. (God the fiction for MWDA.... some of it was OK... until they got to the actual fights... then the mental contortions the writers had to go to to "justify" the forces fighting...which was obviously WizKids forcing them to base the fight off of actual Mech Clix battles and rules..... UGH!!!)

Plus, let's face it, Devlin Stone is a brainwashed, Arthur Davion, and a WoB mole, waiting to be reactivated. (see Blood of Tyrants and Blood Avatar.. lots of tantalizing clues there).... or at least that is certainly what it feels like they were planning....

I think what we have now is mostly what we're going to get out of the Jihad. It is fairly pieced together, but you have to basically read all the books and connect the data yourself. Sarna has really helped fill the gaps when I forget something because the Jihad is the most fleshed out thing in Battletech ever. Even more than the clan invasion. The Clan Invasion is really simple compared to the Jihad.

If people could get over the initial butthurt of the Jihad destroying a lot of their nostalgia, it is a pretty interesting time period to play in. It's essentially the 5th Succession War.

#266 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 September 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

I really do like the A5 Charger, 4/6 with an AC/20... she is mean.

I like the variety, A1, A5, Challenger, etc.

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

I think what we have now is mostly what we're going to get out of the Jihad. It is fairly pieced together, but you have to basically read all the books and connect the data yourself. Sarna has really helped fill the gaps when I forget something because the Jihad is the most fleshed out thing in Battletech ever. Even more than the clan invasion. The Clan Invasion is really simple compared to the Jihad.

If people could get over the initial butthurt of the Jihad destroying a lot of their nostalgia, it is a pretty interesting time period to play in. It's essentially the 5th Succession War.

It's the lack of official fiction, that IMO hampers it. The setting itself has a lot of potential. My only gripe is it leads to MWDA... which IMO; sucks.

#267 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:01 AM

Yeah the Jihad definitely favors the non-fiction fan over the fiction one.

#268 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

battletech beyond 3058 is stupid and pointless

if PGI is smart theyll never go past 3058 in the timeline

that allows for a lot of new toys while keeping the IS vs Clan war going perpetually

Edited by Khobai, 08 September 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#269 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:03 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 September 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

battletech beyond 3058 is stupid and pointless

Much like your post.

#270 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

Much like your post.

which is right

and everyone but you is smart enough to know it

#271 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 September 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Sure, that's why plenty enjoy the jihad era Posted Image

Clan vs IS is boring, having more complex allegiances makes for more interesting lore.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

God I hope so, it would make me like Devlin Stone more and not think he is one of the worst parts of the jihad era.

#272 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 08 September 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

Yeah the Jihad definitely favors the non-fiction fan over the fiction one.

the best game settings are strong in both. It's no coincidence that the 3025-FedCom civil war era is so supported and "revered", or the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance settings for D&D. Fiction brings a setting to life, even if the players never directly interact with the focal points of the writing.

#273 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 08 September 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

God I hope so, it would make me like Devlin Stone more and not think he is one of the worst parts of the jihad era.

Only thing I got a kick out of that era was, "Don't poke the Bear."

Seriously, the WoB had more or less won, right up until they poked the Ghost Bear Dominion in the eye.... Then the WoB got put down hard.

#274 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 September 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

which is right

Lol..no.

Firstly, for Balance, it all falls apart in 3049, on the Rock, and never gets it right again, after. For Story setting, it was fine right up til they dropped the ball at the Jihad.

But it's Khobai world and the rest of us are just renting space in it, right?

View PostMetus regem, on 08 September 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Only thing I got a kick out of that era was, "Don't poke the Bear."

Seriously, the WoB had more or less won, right up until they poked the Ghost Bear Dominion in the eye.... Then the WoB got put down hard.

recurring theme. Clan Wolf, Hells Horses, House Kurita, WoB.... none of them fared well when they roused the Bear.

#275 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

recurring theme. Clan Wolf, Hells Horses, House Kurita, WoB.... none of them fared well when they roused the Bear.

This is probably part of the reason I like the jihad era, Ghost Bear becomes quite the power in the sphere, and they aren't near as crazy like the Wolves and Falcons. Probably the only Clan outside of Wolverine that I can tolerate anymore.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 08 September 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#276 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

Even funnier is only the Hell's Horses and House Kurita do it more than once....

#277 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 08 September 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

Clan vs IS is boring,

I'm not sure that's entirely true, so much as it's just been done to death. ESPECIALLY in the Video Games. We've basically been stuck in a never-ending Rut of the Clan Invasion for 26 years now.

I find the artificial feel of Dark Age to be extremely limp and dull, personally, but always felt the Jihad was ripe for more stories, both on the grand scale, and little macro stories like Double Blind, Illusions of Victory, the early Grey Death stuff, etc.

And everyone focuses on the FedCom Civil War, but ignore the Ghost Bear/Combine war, the Clan maneuverings, both in the Homeworlds and the Periphery, etc.

My favorite era may well be the 3rd Succession War for the post apocalyptic feel, but pretty much anywhere from the Reunification War tilt he founding of the Republic, I feel is pretty good ground for game play and story telling. And since the whole point, even of the TT game, IMO is to move a long a good narrative, I would say any true failings tend to fall on the GM and player more than the setting.

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 08 September 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

This is probably part of the reason I like the jihad era, Ghost Bear becomes quite the power in the sphere, and they aren't near as crazy like the Wolves and Falcons. Probably the only Clan outside of Wolverine that I can tolerate anymore.

Actualyl several clans that COULD be interesting with a little more story telling to them. Nova Cats, Goliath Scorpions and Cloud Cobras, for instance I find intriguing, but the NC are mostly just painted as generic tropes in fiction, and most of the Home Clans don't even get that.

#278 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true, so much as it's just been done to death. ESPECIALLY in the Video Games.

Well that's why I think it is boring Posted Image
I don't mind it as part of the narrative, just tired of it being the era that everyone wants to play in/focus on.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 08 September 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#279 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 September 2016 - 08:20 AM, said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true, so much as it's just been done to death. ESPECIALLY in the Video Games. We've basically been stuck in a never-ending Rut of the Clan Invasion for 26 years now.

I find the artificial feel of Dark Age to be extremely limp and dull, personally, but always felt the Jihad was ripe for more stories, both on the grand scale, and little macro stories like Double Blind, Illusions of Victory, the early Grey Death stuff, etc.

And everyone focuses on the FedCom Civil War, but ignore the Ghost Bear/Combine war, the Clan maneuverings, both in the Homeworlds and the Periphery, etc.

My favorite era may well be the 3rd Succession War for the post apocalyptic feel, but pretty much anywhere from the Reunification War tilt he founding of the Republic, I feel is pretty good ground for game play and story telling. And since the whole point, even of the TT game, IMO is to move a long a good narrative, I would say any true failings tend to fall on the GM and player more than the setting.

Actualyl several clans that COULD be interesting with a little more story telling to them. Nova Cats, Goliath Scorpions and Cloud Cobras, for instance I find intriguing, but the NC are mostly just painted as generic tropes in fiction, and most of the Home Clans don't even get that.

Pssst. Hey. Have you heard of... Clan Diamond Shark? We have great benefits, including a great dental plan and retirement benefits.

#280 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 08 September 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

Well that's why I think it is boring Posted Image
I don't mind it as part of the narrative, just tired of it being the era that everyone wants to play in/focus on.

well, I've was beating that drum even back during the preempted MW5 era....

Aside from 3rd Succession War, my dream eras for Game and Storytelling are the actual Jihad and the End of the Amaris Civil War/Fall of the Star League. Gimme a MW2 Mercs multi year/decade narrative game set in either setting? I'll throw my wallet at ya right now.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users