More Weapons Not More Mechs! Sell Weapon Packs Ex: Light Rifles

36 replies to this topic

#1 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

I think a lot if not most players are tired of new mechs that add no new gameplay. Also many have asked for new weapons. So why not sell weapon packs?

For example the light rifle is a weapon within the current timeline and fills a niche that the current ballistics don't cover. 1 heat, 3 dmg, 1 crit slot. It'll give mediums and lights with multiple ballistic hardpoints something more useful than the MGs which need at least 4 plus quirks to actually do anything.

$20 for 15 light rifles, then release them for MC and CBills as schedule. You'd balance the weapons as you balance mechs (... on second thought... KDK3 balance... hmm).

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:37 PM

As a reminder, the "Rifle" family has a damage penalty against mech armor. The light one can't even damage mech armor at all.

The range is also kind of mediocre at only 360m.

PGI can and arguably should change things like that, but I try to not get my hopes up.

#3 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

Oh stop that. You give us light 'mech rifles you might actually make the Locust LCT-1V viable again. And Paul just worked so hard nerfing it into oblivion. You selfish, selfish person you.

#4 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 September 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

As a reminder, the "Rifle" family has a damage penalty against mech armor. The light one can't even damage mech armor at all.

The range is also kind of mediocre at only 360m.

PGI can and arguably should change things like that, but I try to not get my hopes up.

PGI isn't following canon, you know that. LBX not being switchable. IS ACs firing single slugs? A weapon should be modified until it's useful and not OP.

Actually 360m is actually kind of a perfect spot between the AC20 and AC10, so even more reason to release it.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 08 September 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#5 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 08 September 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

PGI isn't following canon, you know that. LBX not being switchable. IS ACs firing single slugs?

The IS ACs thing is based on the Tabletop rules. In TT, ACs always dealt their damage to a single hit location. The burst-fire thing was just for flavor text that had no baring on actual gameplay mechanics.

It also helps them actually be worth the loads of weight they require. The AC/5 should be more than just an 8-ton Medium Laser...

A weapon should be modified until it's useful and not OP.

I agree with that, but our Balancing Overlords™ sometimes neglect that.

#6 CuriousCabbitBlue

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

http://www.sarna.net...Equipment_Lists please

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

View PostMole, on 08 September 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

Oh stop that. You give us light 'mech rifles you might actually make the Locust LCT-1V viable again. And Paul just worked so hard nerfing it into oblivion. You selfish, selfish person you.

The Light Rifle is 3 tons, so you'd be restricted to just 2 of them with only 1 ton of ammo (assuming XL180 engine). To get more ammo you would need to gimp your speed to the level of a heavy mech.

I guess that the gun might be salvageable with a fast enough firing rate, but then that runs into issues with taking over the AC/2's role. You're never gonna get 4 of them on the Lolcust no matter what.

For the tiny ballistic role I'd rather have Magshots and AP Gauss, which are easier to fit since they're only 0.5 tons.

Edited by FupDup, 08 September 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#8 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 08 September 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

I think a lot if not most players are tired of new mechs that add no new gameplay. Also many have asked for new weapons. So why not sell weapon packs?

For example the light rifle is a weapon within the current timeline and fills a niche that the current ballistics don't cover. 1 heat, 3 dmg, 1 crit slot. It'll give mediums and lights with multiple ballistic hardpoints something more useful than the MGs which need at least 4 plus quirks to actually do anything.

$20 for 15 light rifles, then release them for MC and CBills as schedule. You'd balance the weapons as you balance mechs (... on second thought... KDK3 balance... hmm).

Answer - pay to win. You'd have some with weapons, and some without. And don't say "balance them" to counter my argument.

PGI has to sell Mechpacks. That's the only viable items they can sell that will show any decent return. I don't even think PGI could do a Kickstarter for maps or weapons at this point. Colors, camos, supply keys - everyone who is going to buy those has bought them. They haven't released a new Hero in forever - everyone who is going to buy a hero did it during the last few sales. They give away so much MC, you don't have to buy MC to unlock one-shot camos, and they've given away 9 colors this year alone. You can't sell weapons, and you can't sell map packs.

Everyone ******* about Mechpacks, and most of the same ***** about supply keys, paint prices, camo prices, decals ("why can't we have the one that I want"*). At least they don't go WoT and sell gold AC20 rounds. We ***** and moan about everything they try to micro-transact, all they can do to find the game is thru Mechpacks.

*Inb4 someone else catches it - yes, I did say if the BSW came with a "First Somerset Strikers" decal I'd buy it now. So I am as guilty as the rest.

Edited by Agent1190, 08 September 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#9 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:48 PM

I'm thinking of actually giving things like the Panther 10P, VND-1X, CDA-3C, FS-E more options.

#10 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

View PostAgent1190, on 08 September 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

Answer - pay to win. You'd have some with weapons, and some without. And don't say "balance them" to counter my argument.

PGI has to sell Mechpacks. That's the only viable items they can sell that will show any decent return. I don't even think PGI could do a Kickstarter for maps or weapons at this point. Colors, camos, supply keys - everyone who is going to buy those has bought them. They haven't released a new Hero in forever - everyone who is going to buy a hero did it during the last few sales. They give away so much MC, you don't have to buy MC to unlock one-shot camos, and they've given away 9 colors this year alone. You can't sell weapons, and you can't sell map packs.

Everyone ******* about Mechpacks, and most of the same ***** about supply keys, paint prices, camo prices, decals ("why can't we have the one that I want"). At least they don't go WoT and sell gold AC20 rounds. We ***** and moan about everything they try to micro-transact, all they can do to find the game is thru Mechpacks.

They could offer stuff like mission packs. I'd gladly pay 10-20$ for a decent mission pack DLC that unlocks a PVE element.

#11 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

The answer is that light/mediums are still better with energy and missile weapons.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

If only PGI didn't lock gameplay-affecting items behind an exclusive paywall for many months...

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 08 September 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

Got news for you:

PGI has no plans to introduce new weapons or tech. As long as they can shill packages full of made up variants, and the masses keep lapping them up? They have zero reason to actually do so. Failures to launch with Faction Warfare and Steam has left them with the grim reality that it's a niche IP that they handled poorly, and are in a tenuous position going forward.

#14 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

PGI isn't following canon, you know that. LBX not being switchable. IS ACs firing single slugs? A weapon should be modified until it's useful and not OP.

Actually 360m is actually kind of a perfect spot between the AC20 and AC10, so even more reason to release it.

Posted Image

Need I remind you of the MG itself, of the isSL?
The SL, which was nerfed with double heat, and wasn't buffed alongside the isML (duration decrease), making it an even worse choice than before?

HA, buffing bad weapons...

#15 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

I want new weapons, but the idea of paying real money for them makes me sick to my stomach.

What would be in the Collector's edition weapon pack? Gold ammo?

Some things should never be monetized.

#16 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 08 September 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

Need I remind you of the MG itself, of the isSL?
The SL, which was nerfed with double heat, and wasn't buffed alongside the isML (duration decrease), making it an even worse choice than before?

HA, buffing bad weapons...

Heh. But LBX10 is a counterexample. Spread decrease. Similarly them spending some time buffing SRMs with spread decrease and hitreg some time earlier. cUAC "duration" decrease, AC10 ammo buff. IS LPL heat buff. Actually you can probably come up with more counterexamples than actual cases where a weapon is absolutely useless. If they make an effort, weapon balance does happen. As long as people complain about it. No one complains about SLs, so that's where they are.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 08 September 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 08 September 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

...No one complains about SLs, so that's where they are.

I do. :(

#18 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

View PostDr Hobo, on 08 September 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

They could offer stuff like mission packs. I'd gladly pay 10-20$ for a decent mission pack DLC that unlocks a PVE element.

Except they need funding to hire a development team to build an AI that would make it fun. Everyone screams "my wallet is closed" denying them funding to possibly develop something like this.

Credit where credit is due: Bishop Steiner said in another post (and I am paraphrasing here): "I am concerned that the money I pay is only going to develop that particular mech pack." There is a lot of truth to that statement - they sell these mechs 4 months prior to release, so it looks like they are funding their current offer and not much else.

I'm not saying you should bow to the Mech-Gods and buy everything they throw at you - I am saying we need to sit back and look at the big picture. If you want PvE, if you want time to balance weapons and mechs (instead of band aids), if you want new maps, you have to fund them.

It's not just the community - if PGI wants funding, they NEED to be more transparent on how the money is being spent. "We've hired 2 more map designers" is not enough when we get a "re-pass" on an existing map every other month. We can passively encourage dialogue and transparency by attending the round tables with NGNG (stream counts). We can also reduce the viciousness in our forum posts - maybe Tina would actually read past post #5 and be able to report something to Russ and Paul other than "The community is a bunch of whiny ********."

Edited by Agent1190, 08 September 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#19 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 08 September 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Heh. But LBX10 is a counterexample. Spread decrease. Similarly them spending some time buffing SRMs with spread decrease and hitreg some time earlier. cUAC "duration" decrease, AC10 ammo buff. IS LPL heat buff. Actually you can probably come up with more counterexamples than actual cases where a weapon is absolutely useless. If they make an effort, weapon balance does happen. As long as people complain about it. No one complains about SLs, so that's where they are.

I've complained for YEARs about those weapons

The Flamer took 4 bloody years to get a buff.

The LBx family is still piss poor, due to their mechanics and shite Crit capabilities (yes, the Crit weapons are terrible at Crits)
The cUAC buff was needed...but notice how they haven't touched cACs?
Useless since inception, yet one or two variable edits makes them have a niche.

These are Super Simple Things™ which will never happen.

#20 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

Wow I love how so many players are going to Sarna.net and demanding random crap they find after a cursory search, and not actually looking at the source material.

Light Rifles do no damage to mechs. Crack open Tactical Operations. P. 338

Also people, please stop demanding 'mechs which fewer exist in the universe than one person has toes on a foot, or don't show up for 10 years in the lore, just because you want to one-up the current meta beast. All you're doing is making low tier stuff lower, rather than levelling the playing field.

Yes, everyone goddamn LOVES the clan invasion, up until we're actually there and WHY DON'T WE HAVE X-PULSE LASERS, HEAVY GAUSS RIFLES, AND FAFNIRS ABLOOBLOO.

Let's just put some F-117 Stealth Bombers in that World War 2 simulator, shall we?

You want new guns? Mechs from MW4? Ask for a 15-year time jump. Plop the game right into the start of the Jihad. No shortage of gear there. Further, Maybe a 100-year time jump. TSEMPs and Radical Heat Sinks everywhere.

I'm as miffed about stale gameplay as the next guy, but it's the player base who is perpetuating it, complaining about every match mode that isn't "Team Deathmatch" and limiting themselves to only using the top 20% most meta equipment in the game. Throwing more equipment and mechs at the problem isn't going to solve it. No matter how much Tabasco sauce you put on it, a schitt sandwich is still a schitt sandwich.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users