Will You Enjoy Quick Play With Drop Decks?

156 replies to this topic

#141 lagartx3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 143 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationColombia

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:06 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 30 September 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Actually, that's won't really change any of it. Random spawn points aren't a magical cure-all, players will just move to the new spawn and pitch a new tent.

how will they they know wich tent to camp on when there are Multiple randomly selected spawn points for every drop, not a single one randomly choosed to drop all of your 4 mechs??

clearly this wouldnt be of much help in HPG, or maybe even on the Viridian, but in big maps like frozen city, caustic, or polar or alpine peaks, this could be an option

#142 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostThe Ripper13, on 30 September 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Unless I am missing some finer comedic points here.

Nope, just the overly gross exaggerations.

#143 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostHotthedd, on 30 September 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

You are welcome to your opinion, but perhaps you can back up your position?

PGI had ample opportunity to listen to the founders about balance, content, the direction of the game, etc. They did not listen then, and they do not listen now.
Now, many if not most of the BT "purists" have been driven out, and most of the suggestions are those promoting re-spawn and other arcade-like crap.

Let's not exaggerate here. A limited drop deck is not even close to the unlimited respawn, unlimited ammo, and no heat scenario people always retort with. No one -- I repeat, no one -- is asking for the latter.

View Post1453 R, on 30 September 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

They're implementing Call of Duty rampaging freespawns across the board now? ...

Are we up for unlimited ammo no heat options, next? Maybe Piranha can do an unlimited-hardpoint thing too, so anyone can shove anything they want into their machine. ...

See what I mean?

But then again that's par for the course for this guy.

#144 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostMystere, on 30 September 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Let's not exaggerate here. A limited drop deck is not even close to the unlimited respawn, unlimited ammo, and no heat scenario people always retort with.

It's closer than "when you die you're dead".

#145 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:21 PM

View PostMystere, on 30 September 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Let's not exaggerate here. A limited drop deck is not even close to the unlimited respawn, unlimited ammo, and no heat scenario people always retort with. No one -- I repeat, no one -- is asking for the latter.

Scroll up in this thread.
Read through the forums.

I did not say "unlimited re-spawns", I do not like the "drop deck re-spawn" system, although I see it was a compromise.

But surely you must have noticed the trend as the traditional BTU fans leave, MW:O gets more and more support for unlimited re-spawns, NHUA (which HAS been requested), Battlefield repairs and power-ups, and more and more arcade like features.

This was the E-sport choice that Russ made.

#146 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostHotthedd, on 30 September 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

I did not say "unlimited re-spawns", I do not like the "drop deck re-spawn" system, although I see it was a compromise.

No. But you did refer to "re-spawn and other arcade-like crap", which can arguably be read as such.

View PostHotthedd, on 30 September 2016 - 03:21 PM, said:

But surely you must have noticed the trend as the traditional BTU fans leave, MW:O gets more and more support for unlimited re-spawns, NHUA (which HAS been requested), Battlefield repairs and power-ups, and more and more arcade like features.

And all of those have been rightfully shouted down.

#147 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostMystere, on 30 September 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

No. But you did refer to "re-spawn and other arcade-like crap", which can arguably be read as such.

Inference does not mean implication.

View PostMystere, on 30 September 2016 - 03:29 PM, said:

And all of those have been rightfully shouted down.

So far.

But as the "intended audience" moves in, and the "people who were necessary to fund the game, but now that we can sell a new mechpack every 2 months, meh, not so much" players bleed off, I believe it is only a matter of time.

#148 LorDGuilhotinA

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

dropdeck respawn yes (12 players /48 mechs) yes, free respawn, hell no. I really want to see how it will work... or not.

as for spawn camping, just sort a way to put some more powerfull dropships, like the overlord , maybe the 1st wave will be droped by leopards, the other waves will be in a overlord ( overlords have enought firepower to make anyone regret getting close to it).

#149 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

the dropship problem could be solved with dynamic drop points. the dropships are more or less static animations, it needs to be more of an entity than can operate more or less on its own and divert if neccisary, and can land mechs pretty much anywhere it chooses. would be cool if the commander could drop a flare and have the drop ship come in and drop a lance there. otherwise have the ship fly to a preset destination on the map. also instead of dropping players on a 30 second clock, how about dropping them as a lance, as soon as you got four players waiting for respawn, they are dropped together. as a lance they stand a chance to fight off any would be spawn campers. another easy solution is to make the bottom of the dropship non-transparent to weapons fire at least until the drop doors open.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 September 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#150 Sauron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationMordor, NJ

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

I would enjoy it most IF and only IF, it stays one life, you can have 2 to 4 mechs in your dropdeck and choose which one to drop in once the map and gametype has been chosen.

IF we're to play with 2, 3 or 4 "lives" then it should be done in WAVES, so no one drops in a 2nd mech till the 1st wave is wiped out for one team, then all players get dropped in their next dropdeck mech.

having 4 lives randomly injected into the battle over the course of hte match, changing quick drops to long drawn out matches, especially in the case of clear matchmaker mismatches, is only going to frustrate some pilots and I think people will be less interested in quick play at that time. So I hope that's not really the plan.

#151 Chuck Jager

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

Kinda like the US election.
One side promises to build a wall and the other to provide free college education.
This is just words with few if none real facts on how it can or will be done.

#152 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

View PostChuck Jager, on 30 September 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

Kinda like the US election.
One side promises to build a wall and the other to provide free college education.
This is just words with few if none real facts on how it can or will be done.

I pay taxes, so maybe I deserve free college education from the state that seems to do nothing but take my money.

maybe one can draw a parallel to pgi

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 30 September 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#153 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

I think if, and That's a BIG if, implemented right it could lead to protracted engagements which would be cool. That said I'm sure that's a pipe dream.

What if restock and reload was also a part of that?

#154 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 30 September 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

I pay taxes, so maybe I deserve free college education from the state that seems to do nothing but take my money.

maybe one can draw a parallel to pgi

Considering the worth of a Bachelor's degree these days that's not a bad idea.

#155 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

What would be more appropriate for QP with dropdecks would be...well...

Assault wouldn't be too bad with dropdecks. It's essentially assault in FW anyway.

Domination might be okay as well, seeing as the winning team would need to hold the circle to win against fresh reinforcements.

Skirmish and conquest, however, would probably benefit more from being able to have multiple mechs selectable. So if you had a ballistic boat, a laser boat, a missile boat, and a scout, you could choose the one that would help your team most. Respawns would be a little bit strange for these two IMO.

#156 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:26 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 09 September 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

Respawns for me just makes the game longer it doesn't really change anything.

95% of the time you know who will win after wave 1. I would be happier if they didn't add the respawn.

95% of the time you know who will win in QP just by seeing the rosters of the two sides.

#157 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:30 AM

I would personally like it. But some players literally only have 20 minutes without interruption, and need the game to be over that fast. Since everyone already assumes FP is a longer time game, I would rather see FP have some of its missions be on regular maps. Plus that cannon is headachy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users