Clan Acs Are A Little Dull. Lets Make Them Interesting.

6 replies to this topic

#1 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Clan autocannons. No matter how you feel about them, one thing is true. They're all practically identical. Not in function, but in something almost as important: tonnage and slots. What am I talking about? Well, take a look at the clan AC10. It takes up 5 crit slots, and weighs 10 tons. Now look at the C-UAC10 and C-LBX10. Noticing something? They both take up 5 crit slots and weigh 10 tons.

So, what does this mean and why is it an issue? Lets take a look at IS autocannons. The AC10 takes up 7 crit slots and weighs 12 tons. The LBX10 takes up 6 crit slots and weighs 11 tons. So, in this example, there's a clear trade off. You can either have 10 pinpoint damage, but take up more space and tonnage, or have 10 spread damage, but take up less space and tonnage. It creates an extra level of depth, and you have to weigh what's more important for your build. Do you want an extra ton of ammo, or maybe another heat sink? Or do you want more predictable damage?

The same example can be made with the AC5 and UAC5. The AC5 takes up 4 slots and weighs 8 tons. The UAC5 takes up 5 slots and weighs 9 tons. You again have a clear trade off. The AC5 is lighter, smaller, and doesn't jam, but does it's damage at a slower pace. The UAC5 is heavier, bigger, and can jam, but can put out more damage over a shorter time period than the standard AC5. Clan players don't have to think about these trade offs as much as IS players. It makes the standard clan AC pointless, because why would you even bother when you can just take a UAC with practically no downsides? Hell, you can even get more ammo per ton with a UAC. It removes a layer of strategy that comes with building your mech. Heck, it makes an entire weapon choice pointless. And that takes away from the game, because building your mech is half of the fun of playing a mechwarrior game.

My suggestion to fix the issue is honestly simple. Give them the same weight and tonnage system as the IS cannons. Not the exact same obviously, but make the UACs bigger and heavier and the LBXs lighter and smaller than the standard AC. That way you have to think a little bit more about which type of AC you want to take so it's not just as simple as "I want to fire twice per cooldown" or "I want a shotgun". And it might give the standard Clan AC a reason for existing, which would be nice.

#2 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:09 AM

View PostSidefire, on 11 September 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

You do know that there is no such a thing - "Clan AC", rite? There are only Ultra ACs or LB-X ACs Posted Image

Edited by MechWarrior849305, 13 September 2016 - 07:55 AM.

#3 Captain Mittens

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostMechWarrior849305, on 13 September 2016 - 03:09 AM, said:

You do know that there is no such a thing - "Clan AC", rite? There are only Ultra ACs or LB-X ACs Posted Image

There are clan ACs they take up more room, but have longer range.

#4 Falconer Cyrus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

I wonder do you really think ac tweaking will make clans (or FP) more interesting? 8-( )

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

Clan ACs should make random funny sound effects when you fire them

#6 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostMechWarrior849305, on 13 September 2016 - 03:09 AM, said:

I know that in the lore there are no clan ACs. But in MWO, there are, as they represent LB-X ACs firing slugs since the devs don't know how to program the ability to change ammo types yet. So, they should be useful.

#7 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostFalconer Cyrus, on 13 September 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

I wonder do you really think ac tweaking will make clans (or FP) more interesting? 8-( )

It could. UAC boating or LPL boating are the two main things for clan mechs right now. Maybe it would give them some other options.

Edited by Sidefire, 13 September 2016 - 04:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users