Best Battletech Game: Mwo Vs Pokemon Go

15 replies to this topic

#1 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

I started playing Pokemon Go early August, about the time I stopped playing MWO.

Once I understood the basics of the game I started comparing my experience with MWO and, funny enough, I liked Pokemon Go better than MWO as a Battletech Game.

Let me try to explain.

Lets assume that Mech=Pokemon and Planet=Gym.

Choice of Mechs

About the same, both MWO and Pokemon Go have plenty.

Customization

Here things are interesting, in MWO you just make the mechs you want as long you have enough MC, improving pokemechs requires resources hard to find. Only obtainable by exploring galaxy and getting salvage.

Scouting

Here Pokemon Go wins hands down, there is a definite role for scouts and it is not an easy task.

Exploration

The galaxy is huge and finding planets is hard in Pokemon Go, knowing defending forces requires a close planetary inspection. In MWO we have a map and no garrison concept.

Planetary Attack

This is quite nice in PG, you can assemble an attack force based on defending force, often the missions are asymmetric, you can attack greater forces for an attrition war or overwhelm a small garrison. You cannot sit on your hands too, often a retaliation is immediate. In MWO we have gates and LT.
Dropships and jumpships do exist in PG and each player is equipped with its own, you can choose between lots of brands and types.

Weapons and Damage Model

PG has 18 weapon classes each one with its strong sides and weaknesses. Each class has several attacks weapons in it. For each weapon there is a defensive counter, interesting.
MWO has become an attrition fight, you apply generic "damage" on the enemy mech and it spreads all over by design.

Fighting

In PG you have an state of the art GUI and tactile interface, in MWO it is keyboard+mouse. PG allow the use of two weapons ony but it allow evasive maneuvers, very effective if the timing is right.

End of part one, hope you liked the comparison.

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 04 September 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

MWO... is easily the worst BattleTech game ever made. I have played every. single. one of them. Literally. The Board game, the Crescent Hawks, the Console games, MechAssault etc. You name it, I played it.

MWO is the worst BattleTech game to ever be made.

Practically any game with any semblance of strategy is better than MWO.

/eyeroll

Just so you know, being negative doesn't make you edgy or hip. It just makes you that guy who complains about everything just to seem that way.

Stop trying so hard.

#3 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 04 September 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

/eyeroll

Just so you know, being negative doesn't make you edgy or hip. It just makes you that guy who complains about everything just to seem that way.

Stop trying so hard.

#4 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:47 PM

Ok then. I hope you feel better. I'm well aware of your back story and am not going to try to convince you that the world is a bright and cheery place. I realize that won't do any good. I just wish the best for you.

#5 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:24 PM

Marack, Heff, c'mon guys chill.... Just imagine this at the front of MWO and you will feel slightly better.

Posted Image

Mmmmmmm..... yes

Mech-Cellent!

#6 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostHeffay, on 04 September 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

/eyeroll

Stop trying so hard.

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 04 September 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

Ladies!

Please!

There is enough of stompy robots for bouth of you.

#7 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

I hope the HBS Battletech game comes in a box!

#8 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:16 PM

I believe Pokemon Go should be better compared to War Robots (formerly Walking War Robots) on the same Android and iOS platform. Very fun, very addicting, a bit Pay to Win though the Pay doesn't cost much. 10 to 50 million downloads in the Google Play Store, and perhaps just as much in the Apple App Store. 4.5 star out of 5 in the Google Play Store. Has an active player base which frequently posts YouTube videos.

I have been playing it and it feels like on your face Mechassault meets Chromehounds meets Earthsiege.

This game makes me realize that the giant walking robot genre is hardly dead and consists far beyond of Battletech. The players are full of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Russian and Latin American names which indicates a broad audience, as BT tends to be North American. It also makes think that the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise might have its best chance of being resurrected as a mobile game.

There are also other mobile platform mech games but so far War Robots have been the most highly rated.

#9 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostAnjian, on 07 September 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

I believe Pokemon Go should be better compared to War Robots (formerly Walking War Robots) on the same Android and iOS platform. Very fun, very addicting, a bit Pay to Win though the Pay doesn't cost much. 10 to 50 million downloads in the Google Play Store, and perhaps just as much in the Apple App Store. 4.5 star out of 5 in the Google Play Store. Has an active player base which frequently posts YouTube videos.

I have been playing it and it feels like on your face Mechassault meets Chromehounds meets Earthsiege.

This game makes me realize that the giant walking robot genre is hardly dead and consists far beyond of Battletech. The players are full of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Russian and Latin American names which indicates a broad audience, as BT tends to be North American. It also makes think that the Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise might have its best chance of being resurrected as a mobile game.

There are also other mobile platform mech games but so far War Robots have been the most highly rated.

I have played war robots. Love it. It makes a great substitute for when u don have your PC around :) My only complaint is that the map design is kinda meh, but mwo also has pretty crappy maps too.

#10 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

I find the small maps work. You only have six vs. six, with limited respawns on a ten minute counter. The maps are small but its only a short walk to the battle area. Which means you don't have a lot of travel and positioning time, you spend more of your time fighting than moving from place to place. This is a good thing too, since the robots are slow and stompy even for the lights.

Another thing is the spaces between the structures in the maps are more than big enough for the robots to go through without feeling cramped. Small terrain features do not have hitboxes, so your feet just go "ghost" through them, instead of snagging.

I like the map that looks like a city with a big park in the middle. This reminds me of one of my favorite MW4 Mercs maps.

#11 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 04 September 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

Gene Wilder died, does that count? Also, it's not the reasons why you're a negative person, most people don't care, it's simply that you are.

MWO is the only Battletech game I've played, and I think it's great :).

I also think it's far more fun than Pokemon GO. Until they fix tracking it's unplayable to me though, so every game is more fun at the moment. That's why I've taken up ptcgo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users