Vote Multipliers

Balance

13 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:42 PM

So far, i've only been playing with Quick Play in my entire career in MWO. I tried faction play, but i could not launch because of not enough players, in fact i was just one in the entire lobby. And right now, the introduction of Drop Deck, i'm a lot more confused, and i decided to opt out indefinitely.

Anyways, what i want to talk about is Vote Multipliers. All too often, it's always HPG Manifold, and Polar Highlands, but while there are times that i would get the map i want, just not the game mode i want.

Imagine that you hate Polar Highlands for lurm-prevalence and your mech preference makes you so ill-suited for moving, or being left alone, like a King Crab or Kodiak. Finally you managed to get something else, like Canyon Network. But surprise, it's Conquest, that one game mode where your forces get to split up.

Long story short, there is people like me who wants a specific game mode upon a specific map, Though we might get the game mode we want, it's not the right map.

I think it would be best, if that you get your map but not your game mode or vice-versa, that if your multiplier of map or game mode would be halved if succeeded, while the unsuccessful other would only gain 0.5x.

e.g

If you picked Canyon Network, and Domination, with 6x map multiplier and 7x game mode multiplier. But the votes went to Polar Highlands and Domination, your map-multiplier only increases by 0.5x, and your gamemode-multiplier is only halved, into 6.5x Map-Multiplier, and 3.5x Game-Mode multiplier.

Likewise, if you picked Viridian Bog and Skirmish, with 3x map multiplier, and 5x game mode multiplier. If the game ends up with Skirmish, but goes to Crimson Strait instead, the map multiplier goes to 3.5x , and the game mode multiplier goes to 2.5x.

This way, players who are only half-satisfied by not having both in their favor, they can have better chance.

What are your thoughts? are you disappointed at times that you don't get the game-mode you want, on the map you want at the same time too?

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:58 PM

If getting the map/game mode you want was only halved instead of reset back to 1, i would actually care more about picking maps/game modes instead of tabbing out to do something else while i wait for the match to load.

Also, i would be getting Terra Therma / Domination more often because of my votes only being halved... and there in lies the problem. People like me, would abuse it for giggles lol.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:36 PM

Am I the only guy who doesn't care about modes of a map, riding any mech class? They are all 50 shades of Skirmish, anyway. Conquest is slightly better though due to higher pay on win.

#4 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:42 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 September 2016 - 11:36 PM, said:

Am I the only guy who doesn't care about modes of a map, riding any mech class? They are all 50 shades of Skirmish, anyway. Conquest is slightly better though due to higher pay on win.

Yeah i noticed that too, Assault and Domination too often results into a semi-skirmish. The conquest though isn't fun on an assault.

#5 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:44 PM

I think the game should randomly decide the map and mode but weighting each option's number of votes. For example if canyon gets 3 votes and alpine 1 there is 25% chance of getting alpine and 75% of getting canyon.

Then you can remove the incremental voting system and you get a bit more of variety in maps played.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

View PostBrizna, on 12 September 2016 - 11:44 PM, said:

I think the game should randomly decide the map and mode but weighting each option's number of votes. For example if canyon gets 3 votes and alpine 1 there is 25% chance of getting alpine and 75% of getting canyon.

Then you can remove the incremental voting system and you get a bit more of variety in maps played.

Then we get people crying about how RNG is screwing them over. It would be discouraging to save 9 votes until your favorite map comes out, use the vote to get it to 60% to your favor, but still didn't get it. Now you have to play until that map comes out again.

#7 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 September 2016 - 11:36 PM, said:

Pretty much the same. There are some exceptions, like Alpine and Mordor where I prefer Conquest. So I tend to first vote on the map, and when I see which one's winning, make my choice on game mode. I'm delighted to note that most people vote for Conquest on Alpine.

Domination very occasionally turns into an actual push and shove to control the objective area, but it doesn't happen quite often enough.

#8 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:32 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 September 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

Then we get people crying about how RNG is screwing them over. It would be discouraging to save 9 votes until your favorite map comes out, use the vote to get it to 60% to your favor, but still didn't get it. Now you have to play until that map comes out again.

He said to remove the Multiplier then.
This could be fine cuz even one guy voting for Terra might make it happen despite the usual 60% HPG or Canyon.

All things random may also be fun, but not until we're sure every maps and modes are balanced - looking at Alpine Domination / Canyon Assault / etc.

#9 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:02 AM

Do you play on NA servers? Voting is a little bit inadequate there. Players seem to be a little bit inexperienced there to notice, that some map/mode choices cause terrible matches as the result. Try playing on EU ones - in 90% cases EU players follow my personal map/mode rating, that most likely matches your one. The less Meta biased map/mode is - the better it is.
Posted Image

Please note! Currently I don't have enough stats for Grim Plexus and new Frozen City, so their rating may be inaccurate! Grim Plexus currently seems to be a colder version of Turmaline, but with way too open center, that makes Domination completely terrible there. Also it's a little bit big. That's why it's worse, than Bog and Valley, especially after imbalance on Bog was fixed. Frozen City - is completely ruined by way too open center and complete lack of cover around it. Turning 2nd best map in this game into another Forest Colony or River City - is worst thing, PGI could do with it.

And of course:
Skirmish > Assault > Conquest > Domination
or:
Domination > Skirmish > Assault > Conquest
depending on map - on some maps, that aren't snipe-biased, Domination is even better, than Skirmish (cowards just can't run away and hide), but on others it's terrible snipe/lurm-fest.

Edited by MrMadguy, 13 September 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:46 AM

Hey here's a different take, what if players would just wait in a lobby of their preferred game mode and map? just wait for enough players who want to play in the same lobby.

#11 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:38 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 13 September 2016 - 02:46 AM, said:

Hey here's a different take, what if players would just wait in a lobby of their preferred game mode and map? just wait for enough players who want to play in the same lobby.

Lol, this is exactly the same feature, I've been suggesting for a long time already - ban map/mode feature. I.e. you PGI should understand, that forcing certain modes/maps on me won't result in anything good at the end - I won't play this maps/modes properly anyway, will AFK behind my teammates due to lack of long range weapons, will pretend that my 2xLRM5 Mauler is LRM boat and will do lurming only, will perform "suicidal" attack, cuz what else brawler can do on snipe-Meta map. This will frustrate both me and all other players, who may want to play exactly this mode. May be I and/or they will even simply quit this game due to not having fun in it. So... May be you should simply allow me to skip matches, I won't enjoy anyway (or even would want to quit such match immediately?), and allow some other players to play them instead?

Another suggestions:
1) Separate big open maps into separate "Snipe/LRM-fest" mode, so players will know, that they have to bring fast 'Mechs and carry Gausses/ER-LL/ER-PPCs/LRMs in order to play this mode.
2) Allow us to pick 'Mech, after map/mode is already known. At least I will pick some LRM-capable 'Mech, if other players will choose some snipe/LRM-fest map/mode.

Edited by MrMadguy, 13 September 2016 - 03:41 AM.

#12 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 13 September 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

Do you play on NA servers? Voting is a little bit inadequate there. Players seem to be a little bit inexperienced there to notice, that some map/mode choices cause terrible matches as the result. Try playing on EU ones - in 90% cases EU players follow my personal map/mode rating, that most likely matches your one. The less Meta biased map/mode is - the better it is.

How many times can you publicly quit before you stay gone? In any event, your 'analysis' is, as usual, fundamentally flawed Posted Image

#13 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:03 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 13 September 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

I love Polar Highlands, it's one of the few maps not geared towards players seeking instant (deathmatch) gratification. Now if only we could make a similar (if not duplicate) map that's neither hot nor cold....

I don't like Canyon that much, it promotes poking (see fig.1 below). I find the HPG map unbearable and the only one where I really agree with your list is Terra Therma.

fig.1
Posted Image

Edited by Red Shrike, 13 September 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#14 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Im ok with most maps. Many times I ignore the voting completely as I wait for the battle here in forum instead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users