Is Anyone Doing This At All?

11 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

it's been over an hour "searching" for a match....

#2 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

Nope. Its been basically impossible to get games since even the day of pts4 launch.

For one they don't reward testing.. And two, nerfing capacity and dissipation has ruined builds that were built around engine heatsinks. If they want to try a lower capacity they should do so with 2.0 dissipation.

#3 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:26 PM

only tried this on testing grounds really it is tough to a match unless you group up
it means that only hardcore players get to play it properly and there in lies the problem

These fixes/issues are those that are seen by hardcore players as important and not really those seen by the bulk of players it also why I think this product will never become anything but niche

because of the limits and indeed demographics of the game, lots of nostalgic older players the reality is I believe that balance will be the new feature every quarter. whereas features such as game modes and the like will not be in the offing.

Every mode seems to be a game of kill and damage and they have not really addressed that dynamic becuase of this the arms race of maximal firepower becomes important. In truth simple heat dissipation would have cured most problems with alphaing if that is the problem.

needless to say changes will be made, mistakes will happen and new game modes will happen slowly but we will get another PTS to look at balance in 6 months time after ED is adopted

Lastly PGI should give a reward for playing the PTS say 6 million C bills or a Mech Bay not that I need either you could make it based on playing 10 games throughout the testing period of each phase and completing a questionnaire I am not sure how they are picking up the feedback and what feedback they are picking up some of the changes seem random or based on whim

Oh and to my thoughts. In all honesty I don't thhink ED is any more coherent than GH. it is just a different mechanic try to control certain high alpha build, Just like GH did not work alone ED need control of cooldown, Heat Sink dissipation and needs to factor in ammo types and the like to make it work there is no golden bullet without those things being considered

I think the community will work around them and people will still complain. I am still not sure what this is meant to achieve TTK, stopping continuous alphas,making more varied builds, it is not clear.

#4 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:37 PM

Honestly. I got two matches the day of the changes. That was it.

If they seriously want some data. We need more people in this thing.

#5 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:00 AM

It is difficult to find enough people to test because, while there are a lot of forum warriors complaining about all the changes, not many of them are actually testing any of them.

We did about 10 drops of 8v8 or more yesterday to test changes. Other than that, I have had to do most of my testing solo in testing grounds to see what effects the PTS changes have had on my normally successful builds. The best way to do it in real battlefield testing is to post a specific time on here that you will be available and try to get others to sign on when you are on. Alternately, you can watch for NGNG to announce more testing on twitch or twitter like they did yesterday and try to join in during that.

Edited by Rampage, 14 September 2016 - 06:01 AM.

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:58 AM

They should integrate it to the main client and make it easy to swap.

1) Change main client UI to allow for PTS switch and file download.
2) Download ONLY files needed for PTS instead of the entire game all over again.
3) Let players swap between MWO Main and PTS.

Well somewhere in there would be creating a PTS version of a players account with a separate c-bill and MC wallet and so forth. :P

#7 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 13 September 2016 - 10:37 PM, said:

Honestly. I got two matches the day of the changes. That was it.

If they seriously want some data. We need more people in this thing.

I see lack of data as data itself...
Answer is clear, silence means ppl dont want it.

#8 Tombs Clawtooth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 14 September 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

No, it means they have no reason for getting on the test server, it does nothing to benefit them.

If you want people to work for you, you have to give them something in return, especially if they're normally the ones giving YOU money. Make some sort of PTS event that gives you live rewards and you will have all the data you could ever ask for, along with a reasonably well informed playerbase who could make an intelligent comment on the ED system and balance changes.

#9 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

I'd actually like to test it but I'm not at home the entire month. Posted Image

In WoT this kind of reward-less testing does work, but the community is much larger and there are enough people going there just for testing tanks the don't possess.
Also, what goes there on test is similar to what will be seen in the next patch, not just some vague experimental idea. So people are often curious to see the new in advance.
I actually do think the game developers there have more of a plan of what they are doing and why, and still I'm glad the MWO ones listen to the community and are open for experimentation. I'd like to encourage this.

Edited by Kuaron, 14 September 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

Putting a distraction like a FW event doesn't help with the PTS... not that it would help the PTS directly.

A PTS specific event (that would give C-bills back to your main account) would be more productive for feedback instead of other things to do to actually gain more C-bills directly.

#11 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 September 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

Putting a distraction like a FW event doesn't help with the PTS... not that it would help the PTS directly.

A PTS specific event (that would give C-bills back to your main account) would be more productive for feedback instead of other things to do to actually gain more C-bills directly.

^this is the best advice I have ever heard!

(But also intergrating it into the main client like another server choice would be nice too!)

#12 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 14 September 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

The majority of players don't bother with the forums at all. So I doubt they'll bother with the PTR. They really really need to add an option to the live client to play on the PTR server.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users