Kdk-3: Ppc+Gauss Still A Mystery

5 replies to this topic

#1 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

Actually enjoy the PPC/Gauss. Only problem is I am lousy at it.

In huge Assault, needing extra face-time for Gauss timing...most enemy mechs on the move.. can't fire and duck or blast a passing quick mech as with instant fire weapons... Much of the time when the Gauss is finally ready, enemy ducks behind a wall and I am somewhat exposed.... Occasionally lucky and there is the distracted target that wandered out into the open.

Unlike Lasers, PPC's are unforgiving. All or none. But aim is improving.

So, how does a huge Assault maximize use of the Gauss without to much exposure?

Thanks

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

View PostChill Bill, on 14 September 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

In huge Assault, needing extra face-time for Gauss timing...most enemy mechs on the move.. can't fire and duck or blast a passing quick mech as with instant fire weapons... Much of the time when the Gauss is finally ready, enemy ducks behind a wall and I am somewhat exposed.... Occasionally lucky and there is the distracted target that wandered out into the open.

Thanks

Precharge while accelerating right before you peek out. Charge mechanic is actually pretty fast compared to an assaults acceleration profile.

#3 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

Yep, you gotta pregame bro, otherwise you're just showing your *** for fun.

Edited by Omniseed, 14 September 2016 - 08:16 PM.

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Thanks

Start the charge before you expose. That is the key.
A bit of truth, I've never really used a Gauss Rifle until last night on my KDK4. Only once on a Trial DWF in FP lol.

That said I've used PPCs a lot the last 3 months and I'm at 63% hit rate and I'm often firing from 800M+, so pretty reasonable IMO. I just checked my Gauss rifle and currently it's sitting 65% as well but that's in 11 games, so hopefully it doesn't go backwards Posted Image

Also you need to learn to anticipate enemy movements. I can still hit lights with a ERPPC at 600m no worries, but it's all about shooting where they are going, not where they are. Gauss it's even easier, much faster and a lot less "leading" the target needed.

Even if they are out of sight and an friendly is allowing you to target them. If you see their little red box start looking as if it's about to move outta cover, you start moving to and lay the beatdown. I catch so many mechs out like that, they don't realise I'm there and just as they are about to peak-a-boo I'm already shooting.

It really is a practice / timing thing mate. I was rubbish with PPCs at the start, I couldn't hit anything to save myself. It'll get there.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 14 September 2016 - 09:13 PM.

#5 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

Appreciate the tutorials.
Will work on precharge timing and effectively leading the target. Have been a CQ Atlas until recently (since beta).

Thanks.

#6 Myantra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 210 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:49 PM

Thanks

I want to like that KDK-3 build. I see other people doing well in it. I do well enough in it, until it seems like someone just looks at me wrong or throws a small rock at me. After that, a gauss rifle explodes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users