A Simple Improvement To Ghost Heat System

8 replies to this topic

#1 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:00 AM

OK, I don't know if this has been proposed already, if it has, then I apologize in advance. I'd like to suggest a simple improvement to the existing Ghost Heat system that will:

a ) Close the loophole that allows achieving an unreasonably high alpha strike by firing different weapons of the same class (such as LPL+ERML) simultaneously.
b ) Keep the current game balance essentially unchanged.
c ) Eliminate the need for the Energy Draw or similar systems.

The existing GH system punishes you for firing too many weapons of the same type within a 0.5 second interval. What I propose is to keep that 0.5 sec interval, but instead of simply having a fixed limit for each weapon type, assign a value to each weapon of the same class, and impose a heat penalty if the total limit for that weapon class is exceeded. For example, using the current game balance, let us assign the following values to Clan lasers:

Total limit = 10
Small and medium lasers, small and medium pulse lasers = 1.6
ER large laser and large pulse laser = 5

This way, you can fire 6xERML, or 2xERLL, or 2xLPL at the same time - just like under the existing system - but you can no longer "cheese" the system by mixing different laser types, because if you fire, for example, 2xLPL + 4xERML at the same time, that will bring your total value to 16.4, which is 6.4 higher than the allowed limit, and you'll incur a heat penalty proportional to the value by which the limit was exceeded. The same can be applied to autocannons, LRMs, SRMs etc.

Obviously, this does not address alpha-striking with different classes of weapons, but that is less of a problem, because it is usually very difficult to perform a successful alpha strike with, say, lasers + autocannons or PPCs + Gauss because of different weapon mechanics, timings, travel speeds etc. The biggest advantage of this system is that it will keep the current game balance essentially intact, while finally closing the existing loopholes and punishing those smarta$$es who thought that they were smarter than the game Posted Image Just a suggestion, let me know what you think.

#2 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

I don't see how high laser alphas are OP, they are not sustainable and you can torso twist to spread at least some damage.

#3 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 15 September 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I don't see how high laser alphas are OP, they are not sustainable and you can torso twist to spread at least some damage.

Well, preventing them seemed to be the original intent of PGI, before it evolved into the mess we are seeing now in PTS Phase 4. I'm just suggesting something less radical, that addresses the loopholes without really changing the balance of the game. Of course, if PGI's true intent is to overhaul existing system at any cost 'cause Russ got bored and wants to try something completely different, then my suggestion is pointless.

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 15 September 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#4 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 15 September 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I dont see it either as they arent even high...

Edited by davoodoo, 15 September 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#5 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

I don't know if I'm just weird or if this is more normal than I think it is, but if I'm rocking a heavy with 6+ energy slots and not much else, I'll probably roll 2xLPL and 4xML anyway. It doesn't have anything to do with getting around ghost heat - that build is just BETTER than mounting all LPLs or all MLs.

Ghost heat rarely influences how I build... mostly because I'm not concerned at all with min-maxxing. I just want builds that offer good utility, run fairly cool, and can handle a variety of different scenarios.

Not sure why these builds are that scary to so many. Seems to me that's the same output as splat, which runs much cooler and is more sustainable. I like finding energy boats on the other team, because it's fun to wreck their face when they panic themselves into shut down

#6 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 15 September 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

Ghost heat rarely influences how I build... mostly because I'm not concerned at all with min-maxxing. I just want builds that offer good utility, run fairly cool, and can handle a variety of different scenarios.

It does for me, i would put quite a few mechs with dual ac20 or uac20 but i just cant fire them effectively in gh.

#7 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:02 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 15 September 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

It does for me, i would put quite a few mechs with dual ac20 or uac20 but i just cant fire them effectively in gh.

Ewww. Honestly, AC/20s are so suboptimal that I don't see why they couldn't just be balanced slightly more harshly normally and forgo ghost heat entirely.

The few mechs that can carry dual-20s aren't really hampered by gh anyway.

#8 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 15 September 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Ewww. Honestly, AC/20s are so suboptimal that I don't see why they couldn't just be balanced slightly more harshly normally and forgo ghost heat entirely.

The few mechs that can carry dual-20s aren't really hampered by gh anyway.

If im to actually fire them 1 by 1 then i might aswell grab 4 uac5 for is or 4 uac10 for clans and get basically same thing with lower cooldown higher range and same dmg.

#9 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

I something similar that at the start of the PTSv1.

I said to link the medium and large lasers so that mediums count for one half of a large.. and the same could be done for ACs.

I do agree that I don't find laser vomit to be a problem at all; the duration allows the defender to spread the damage to wherever he wants.. but that was what the potatoes were crying about.

However, the white knights will come and crap on your suggestion and say that Ghost Heat can't be used in that manner and that weapons either are or are not in a ghost heat group, 1:1.

I still think that solution.. or the better: just leave the system alone and possibly reduce the heat threshold and increase dissipation.. are more palatable than the horrid abomination of Erectile Disfunction Energy Draw Ghost Fish mk2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users