12 replies to this topic

#1 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:14 AM

Hi all. I had the ambitious idea of mounting 2x AC/10 on my MAD-3R. Sadly there aren't enough slots in the RT, so I ended up with AC/10 + AC/5.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...71a7691f685ca4d

Does anyone have any experience with a mixed AC loadout like this? Obviously the varied range is an issue, but do the different calibers have different muzzle velocities or flight paths that would make aiming difficult? I know there is at least one mixed AC SHD out there, a 2xAC/5, 1xAC/2 SHD-2H, but I've never used it.

#2 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:34 AM

Mixing AC's is fine if you can manage the different shot velocities and ammo requirements.

If you can stomach the shotgun effect, you can downgrade the lasers to normal Medium Lasers and ditch the Ferro-Fibrus armour, then you can stuff a pair of LB10-X's into that side torso.

ie: MAD-3R

#3 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:30 AM

Once uppon a time Posted Image .... BNC-3E
Well lets say when I use large ACs I do this to get concentrated frontload damage of the larger models or the staggering dakka effect of UACs....maybe AC5s.

So what do I get when combining AC5 and AC10.
Vastly different projectile ranges that push the effective range for both weapons below that of the AC10 due to otherwisely not beeing able to concentrate the firepower in a meaningfull way.

On the other hand I get differing reload times that will create some sort of shaking effect but only after the first salvo has completely revolved. Enough time for an enemy to return fire the shock effect is gone.

Combining weapons to create an effective loadout is always about the ups and downs and what effect exactly you are trying to create. Even if the effect is just fun Posted Image

But why would I use AC10 and AC5 on a Marauder when I could use Quad PPCs.Posted Image
Its like shooting AC20 over 600m, with better speed and without ammo.

Edited by The Basilisk, 14 September 2016 - 05:33 AM.

#4 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

Just to be clear, you're chainfiring the 4 ppc's? Or firing and then going back into to hiding to cool off?

#5 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

Basilisk, I guess some don't want to run 4 ppc on the MAD coz you'll need to run XL plus it's hot and low slung. It's a fun build but not for everyone I guess.
OP, mixing ac should be fine, my cyclops runs 2 ac10, 2 ac5, so the MAD should run that comfortably with some backup lasers or try 2 lb10 they're a fun punch too

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:40 AM

He is firing two then two.

Personally I prefer LB-X + ac/5 for a combination. It works well together either way but the LB-X continues to work alongside the ac/5 since LB-X works to three times range rather than two times like ACs.

#7 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:49 AM

It can work if you can get used to it but you'd probably be better off using two AC5's with large pulse lasers or PPCs.

#8 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:20 AM

generally I am not a fan. Primarily because the two act so differently.

AC5/ UAC5 combo is good, as they behave very similarly.

Even UAC5 / AC2 combo has got some similarity.

And of course, you have the super KDK-3 (or Dakka-Whale) combo of UAC10/UAC5 combo, which is really just about brute force, but it has 2 of each type.

But just a single 10 and single 5? Mehhhh

#9 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:45 AM

View PostCheeseThief, on 14 September 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

Mixing AC's is fine if you can manage the different shot velocities and ammo requirements.

If you can stomach the shotgun effect, you can downgrade the lasers to normal Medium Lasers and ditch the Ferro-Fibrus armour, then you can stuff a pair of LB10-X's into that side torso.

ie: MAD-3R

Thanks! I tried this "double barreled shotgun" and it was good fun. I never got a good brawling map, but I did have some good games, including a 700-damage game on Alpine.

View PostRoughneck45, on 14 September 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

It can work if you can get used to it but you'd probably be better off using two AC5's with large pulse lasers or PPCs.

Yes, my main 3R is a 2xUAC/5 2x ERLarge.

#10 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:06 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 14 September 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

Just to be clear, you're chainfiring the 4 ppc's? Or firing and then going back into to hiding to cool off?

2 + 2, why would you chainfire frontloaded weapons except when your heat promps you to use only one and you want to keep up dps at all costs. MAD-3R
I'm not a hill poker and XL on the Marouder does not seem to be a big issue since it distributes dmg well and the mech is near useless when loosing its AC hump.
You either put in ACs and no xl and loose the ability to fight when you loose the hump or you loose the mech when your xl got taken out while beeing more maneuverable and faster with xl.
A thing of preference and taste.
What seems to be curious though is that even experienced players tend to stay in cover when you unleash a continuously chainfired barricade of PPC bolts.
Due to the heatquirks the Marauder can do exactly that for around a minute.
Timidity can be a taktik if its the timidity of others.
2AC5 and 2PPC do work equaly well while providing you with more flexibility to keep up DPS at cost of your alpha. 2 LBX and quad MPulse are nasty thing up close but it requires discipline.

Edited by The Basilisk, 15 September 2016 - 03:17 AM.

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:26 AM

View PostWhiskey Dharma, on 15 September 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

[...]
Yes, my main 3R is a 2xUAC/5 2x ERLarge.

No not taking XL will safe you from the face time of dakka and those ERLASERS.

#12 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:49 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 15 September 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

No not taking XL will safe you from the face time of dakka and those ERLASERS.

300 STD engine, 3 DHS. I started with the metamech's recommended 3R (2x UAC/5, 2x PPC), but I had trouble inside 90m, especially with leg-humping lights that stayed below my ACs. It was also hot. So I downgraded the PPCs to ERLarge and added sinks.

Edited by Whiskey Dharma, 15 September 2016 - 03:49 AM.

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:47 AM

Some people like the "Dime and Nickel" but because of range differences, I never did.

Thinking about it, it would work if you did not try firing them together, Use the 5 for long range and the 10 for shorter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users