At First I Didn't Want The Night Gyr But With Every Passing Day I Want It More

17 replies to this topic

#1 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:53 PM

It's a strange thing, really. I planned to skip it at first, and after watching Kanajashi's "Should you buy" he convinced me that this mech is not worth getting because it will have huge, huge problems with slot space, similiar to Warhawk. Due to hardlocked FF+ES and four jump jets. A small engine and plenty of free tonnage, but no space.

You cannot even fit a gauss rifle on the side torso:
Spoiler

With two ballistic slots on the hero at most what you can fit there is UAC5+UAC2, and the 3 ballistic arm will also have to use a mix of 5s and a 2. And can't put ammo in the legs due to hover jets taking spots. So there goes your shield arm. I hate it when I have to do that.

Allright so best we could do with ballistic builds is double UAC10 , which is actually still pretty good, like a bigger HBK-IIC. Maybe 2xUAC5 2xUAC10 on the B variant, a mini Kodiak? But then again, the slot space is a problem. I'm almost 100% sure there won't be enough space for ammo.

Energy builds will also be a problem with little space for heatsinks. Could copy the EBJ build with Gauss and 2 LPL in side torsos and medium in the head. And soon out of slots again. Could be good, as this looks a lot more tankier than the EBJ, if you don't mind losing the hill peek advantage. But why do this (if you max on the slots) if you can just use the TBR..?

A brawler? You can choose only 1 missile hardpoint per pod, so maybe 2 missile on the torso, some bigger ballistic in the arms.. I don't know, doesn't look promising.

The more I think about it the less I like it. But still, every time I look at it there's just something about it that makes me think it will be good after all and I should give it a try.

Anyone else has mixed feelings about this one? Compared to Linebacker or Bushwacker it will be a lot better of course, I'm definitely skipping those two but I genuinely think that NTG might be good but at the same time I'm really frustrated with it's limitations and locked equipment.

Edited by NeoCodex, 15 September 2016 - 11:56 PM.

#2 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:15 AM

2xUAC5 + 2xUAC10 is too heavy anyway. 34 tons of guns leaves 4 tons of ammo.. which will fit fine and just be nowhere near enough. Quad UAC5 will be a thing, as will triple UAC10... The limited ST space is a problem, as are the filled legs, but my build concepts seem to suggest that ammo placement will be passable, if not ideal. Better than the Timber, because at least the head slot is free for 1 ton of safe ammo that is used last and is side independent.

Going to be extremely sluggish though, with no agility quirks and only a 4.0 agility rating. Thats pretty bad for a heavy.

#3 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:16 AM

Its one of the best looking mechs in the game, no wonder any Clan player would want it.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:19 AM

6xCAC2 set on macro-fire, in a 75 ton package, with Clan XL. **** YEAH!

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 16 September 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#5 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:26 AM

I have to admit that tank gif made me lol when i imagined a mech standing in the open as a turret

#6 Kasumi Sumika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:14 AM

Posted Image

I just wait for C-Bills Purchase. But that takes a LLOOOONNNGGG wait. Posted Image

#7 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

I hope people don't want it. It would be cool if it wasn't mainstream.

But ultimately, I feel it's going to be a powerhouse. It will probably end up as a better version of the Warhawk. Not a lot of options, but some of those options are really good. And unlike the Warhawk, the Night Gyr has bucketloads of hardpoints.

#8 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

To me, this mech feels like a slower Victor with more DPS but without the paper STs.

#9 FuhNuGi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMendocino California

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

It's ok, you can admit it...

You all just want a LRM80 to run around with.

"It came stock with all those missiles, I am just leveling it"

And our missiles will block out the sun, so engine cores can explode in the shade.

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

Theoretically, Night Gyr should be the second best buy of this year after the Kodiak.

That's not accounting for Energy Draw, of course.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 17 September 2016 - 12:14 AM.

#11 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:04 PM

it seems the Night Gyr's coolest trick is that planet temperatures do not effect it. ergo if you actually find a build you like, that play style will always work no matter the ambient temperature.

#12 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:32 PM

View PostFuhNuGi, on 16 September 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

It's ok, you can admit it...
You all just want a LRM80 to run around with.
"It came stock with all those missiles, I am just leveling it"
And our missiles will block out the sun, so engine cores can explode in the shade.

It's a good thing only the ultimate collector's owners will be able to run 5 LRMs. Otherwise, I think the next month in the solo queue would be quite brutal.

View PostHit the Deck, on 16 September 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

Theoretically, Night Gyr should be the second best buy of this year alongside the Kodiak.
That's not accounting for Energy Draw, of course.

I agree. But Energy Draw is like the Quirkening. Some mechs go from heros to zeros, other mechs may rise to the top. Nobody knows what the landscape will look like.

The only safe bet is that the Timber Wolf will still be one of the best heavy mechs since it was released. It will probably go 5 years without ever seeing any kind of significant nerf.

#13 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:35 PM

It's a filthy clan mech.
I ain't touching it.

#14 pizzafly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:33 AM

View PostNeoCodex, on 15 September 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

Anyone else has mixed feelings about this one?

My doubts are about twisting speed. Of course, they didn't add any quirks and.... she's going to torso twist like my grandma.
AND she's not going to have lower arm actuator... so worse than my grandma, that at least she's able to move her wrists.

I dunno... it's going to be very easy to outmaneuver the NithgGyr, "thanks" to her low engine, and so low torso twist.

No problem about space and free tonnage, man. Big guns and you are fine.
4uac5
Double gauss and peeps.

I guess she will be fine in CW.

#15 Felix von Buelow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:04 AM

View Postpizzafly, on 17 September 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

My doubts are about twisting speed. Of course, they didn't add any quirks and.... she's going to torso twist like my grandma.
AND she's not going to have lower arm actuator... so worse than my grandma, that at least she's able to move her wrists.

I dunno... it's going to be very easy to outmaneuver the NithgGyr, "thanks" to her low engine, and so low torso twist.

No problem about space and free tonnage, man. Big guns and you are fine.
4uac5
Double gauss and peeps.

I guess she will be fine in CW.

I mean it needs some drawbacks, doesn't it? Otherwise there's no point in taking any other mech...

#16 pizzafly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:13 AM

View PostGhostNemesys, on 17 September 2016 - 01:04 AM, said:

I mean it needs some drawbacks, doesn't it? Otherwise there's no point in taking any other mech...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.....You are right. Posted Image

#17 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:30 AM

View PostGhostNemesys, on 17 September 2016 - 01:04 AM, said:

This is what appears to be something that some people seem to not realise. Since we have the quirk-system, some think that it should be used to "patch" some drawbacks of a 'Mech.

The quirks could indeed be used like that for balancing purpose, for example, but it's not their original purpose - they were originally introduced so that 'Mechs could be more unique. It would be probably naive to think that way right now but let's not forget that.

#18 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

A familiar story. A tale as old as time, actually...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users