#41 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 17 September 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

From what i remember penatlies in mw4 constituted screen flicker which wasnt even obtrusive in aiming... and maybe very high dmg on overheat if you count that.

It also included slowdown, I believe maxing out at 50% slowdown, but I'm not for sure on the numbers.

#42 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 17 September 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

It also included slowdown, I believe maxing out at 50% slowdown, but I'm not for sure on the numbers.

I honestly don't remember either, now that you mention it.

But movement penalties are very meaningful for limiting the viability of peek-and-poke gameplay. I guarantee you, if we put the TT system in, this will be the very first thing people complain about. Well, maybe not the first, but certainly up there.

The next, if we do the HUD penalties, would be about how you can't just sit back all day and "snipe" or lob LRMs all day.

I imagine this would be the action that allows LRMs to be made truly lethal without all the cheesiness they have now.

#43 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

But movement penalties are very meaningful for limiting the viability of peek-and-poke gameplay. I guarantee you, if we put the TT system in, this will be the very first thing people complain about. Well, maybe not the first, but certainly up there.

Most definitely, especially if your reverse speed is cut down by a 1/3 cause you hit the big alpha key, now you cannot get back into hiding fast enough as more than one mech zeros in on your mech with smaller but more damage hits as they do not want to be in the same boat as you are.... It would also mean that light can not simply dance awhile with the heavy/assault then skedaddle away at full speed.

#44 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 17 September 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

Most definitely, especially if your reverse speed is cut down by a 1/3 cause you hit the big alpha key, now you cannot get back into hiding fast enough as more than one mech zeros in on your mech with smaller but more damage hits as they do not want to be in the same boat as you are.... It would also mean that light can not simply dance awhile with the heavy/assault then skedaddle away at full speed.

Not even necessarily the reverse speed. Imagine decel, accel and max speed all cut. Those don't have to get cut down much to matter to peek play. You reach high penalties as you peek out, movement penalties effect how long it takes you to slow down and reverse course. The penalties don't have to be very much to stack in an action as basic as peeking. Think about how MASC works in reverse. Are we going to prevent you from peeking at all? No. Are we going to make it hard for you to just do it over and over again? Yeah. Is this going to have nearly as much of an effect on just running around? No.

#45 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 17 September 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

But movement penalties are very meaningful for limiting the viability of peek-and-poke gameplay.

Not as much as you think, the slow down never stopped the 7 Gun Nova Cat from being one of the most dangerous mechs in the MW4 era. It just makes high mounted or thin side profiles more of a requirement for good pokers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users